What's new

Ex Cig Smoker.....

Hey....I got a problem.

Ok, more like an ex-problem....I quit smoking, and for good.

However, I had a cigar at a wedding last week and had a great time, with the the guys, talking about a good smoke, etc.

My issue is is that I would love to now puff an occasional cigar...without the niotine addiction, just a civilized, interesting thing to do on Friday witha good book or an old noir movie.....

Can this be done, without hitting the Marlboros?

Also, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN WITH CIGARS! We smoked Romeo and Julietas at the wedding...tasty!

How can I start, who should I try? On the cheap? Anyone want to sell some from their stash? Help a brother out??

My issue is is that I would love to now puff an occasional cigar ... Can this be done, without hitting the Marlboros?

I'd guess it mostly has to do with how long ago you smoked cigs. I quite smoking close to 10 years ago and have just recently taken up cigar smoking. For me it doesn't in any way make me want to go back to the cigs. Actually my only "real" problem is that once in a while if I'm not paying that close attention I'll get ready to inhale instead of just drawing into my mouth... Old habits die hard I guess... So I guess it all depends on you and how long it's been since you've quit. If you've already smoked a cigar and didn't find yourself craving a cig, then I'm guessing you'd be just fine.

Also, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN WITH CIGARS! We smoked Romeo and Julietas at the wedding...tasty!

How can I start, who should I try? On the cheap? Anyone want to sell some from their stash? Help a brother out??

Take a look at the post I have in here titled "Can anyone help me out with a starter kit?" One of the fellow members here runs a shop and hooked me right up. I told him what I was looking to spend (under $50) to try it out, and he fixed me right up with an excellent selection for around $45... He was also a huge help in describing what he was sending and giving lots of advice, etc.

I've also got a couple of posts in there describing my personal experience with the cigars I've tried so far (out of the ones he sent anyway).

I switched from cigarettes to cigars about a decade ago, and have never had the urge to light up a Marlboro since . . . and haven't experienced nicotine addiction, cravings, or a "niccy fit" either.

Went about a month between my last cigarette and my first cigar, and at first, it was a coping mechanism . . . when I really, really wanted a Marlboro and couldn't get it off my mind, I'd smoke a cigar instead. I found that kept me craving free for at least a week, on average.

Now I have cigars because I like to . . . and while I smoke them fairly often (3-7 a week) I never have to have one. There's simply no addiction factor at all. Yes, I get a nicotine buzz from a good strong stogie . . . but I don't wake up the next day having to have that again before I can function.

Tobacco, to me, is one of those things that there's a right way and a wrong way to indulge in . . . cigarettes are the wrong way. A cigarette is an engineered addiction vehicle, designed to hook you for life. A cigar is an organic luxury product, with centuries of tradition behind it.

Big difference.

NANP™

You chaps are right----I just do not want to to give myself an excuse to "begin anew"....Did it plenty of times....I think I will see what I can do about a starter set.

Thanks fellas. I will keep you posted. I LOVE smoking. I hate HAVING to....

i agree but remember once a smoker always a smoker i hate cigs with all my heart but couldnt seem to stop.tryed chewing tobacco and found it harder to quit than smoking.then i started smoking a pipe.after 4 bowls of pipe tobacco
i found that cigs are no longer satisfying.on a pipe i only inhale 2x instead of 15 or 20x from a cigaarette so math wise it has to be better for you.also i can smoke 2 or 3 small pipes a day and be happy v.s. a pac of 20 cigs.just remember to take all good things in moderation and i think you will be ok.

A cigarette is an engineered addiction vehicle, designed to hook you for life. A cigar is an organic luxury product, with centuries of tradition behind it.

To be fair, a cigarette is a tool, unappealing in se, that is designed to dispense a quick, dirty, and effective kick of nicotine. I appreciate the usefulness of the cigarette in short times of stress, or as a quick complement to a meal or drink. Truly, many people become addicted to them, but I feel they have a place. The worst part about cigarettes, for a non-addict, is that they are never there when you need them, because you have to buy them in packs of 20, which go stale after a few days or weeks, and are bulky to carry. Thus you never have one during those quick opportunities. You can bum them, but that's less polite than it used to be.

I enjoy both occasional cigars and my beloved pipes. There is such a great satisfaction of the aroma and the flavor of the tobacco across your tounge.
Cigarettes to me are not to be enjoyed in the same way and man the smell on your clothes and breath is just terrible.

My favorite pipe is a churchwarden (with the long stem) the smoke is so cool and is a GREAT smoke!!

My favorite cigar is a #2 Monte Cristo

Ah, the eternal question, "can I indulge in nicotine 'ocassionally' without going back to full-on cigarette smoking?"

Ex cigarette smoker here, too. Quit in 2001. Carton per week of camel lights for 15 years.

Here is the short answer, without going into my nicotine soap opera since I quit: Some guys can, and some guys can not. Many variables at play here. Only way to find out is to try it for yourself, and see how things play out.

My favorite pipe is a churchwarden (with the long stem) the smoke is so cool and is a GREAT smoke!

the churchwarden is one fine smoke but the problem with them is its one damn long pipe and it may scare off a new pipe smoker.if you want a compact cool smoke try a kirsten its imho one bad *** pipe for the price.

Tobacco, to me, is one of those things that there's a right way and a wrong way to indulge in . . . cigarettes are the wrong way. A cigarette is an engineered addiction vehicle, designed to hook you for life. A cigar is an organic luxury product, with centuries of tradition behind it.

Big difference.

NANP™

I completely agree with you, and I know where you're coming from.

There is a huge difference between tobacco products, be it cigarettes, cigars, dip, pipes, whatever. But the common bond is that they all contain nicotine, a highly addictive drug that reacts differently with different people.

And to be fair, just because something is "organic" doesn't mean it is good for you. Rattlesnake poison and toxic mushrooms are organic as well. The chemical structure of nicotine doesn't get altered in a "traditional" cigar, either.

By the way, I currently dip tobacco, and have enjoyed cigars and pipes as well since I quit smoking, and certainly am not placing myself on a pedestal; I very much enjoy tobacco, and have for many years. I just believe in calling a spade a spade.

To be fair again, in my opinion there is not a "wrong" way to indulge in tobacco. Some guys smoke their favorite brands of cigarettes in relative moderation, others do their thing with other tobacco products. It's a total YMMV thing. Just because I dip or smoke cigars doesn't make me better than the cigarette smokers. Different strokes for different folks is all.

I completely agree with you, and I know where you're coming from.

There is a huge difference between tobacco products, be it cigarettes, cigars, dip, pipes, whatever. But the common bond is that they all contain nicotine, a highly addictive drug that reacts differently with different people.

And to be fair, just because something is "organic" doesn't mean it is good for you. Rattlesnake poison and toxic mushrooms are organic as well. The chemical structure of nicotine doesn't get altered in a "traditional" cigar, either.

By the way, I currently dip tobacco, and have enjoyed cigars and pipes as well since I quit smoking, and certainly am not placing myself on a pedestal; I very much enjoy tobacco, and have for many years. I just believe in calling a spade a spade.

To be fair again, in my opinion there is not a "wrong" way to indulge in tobacco. Some guys smoke their favorite brands of cigarettes in relative moderation, others do their thing with other tobacco products. It's a total YMMV thing. Just because I dip or smoke cigars doesn't make me better than the cigarette smokers. Different strokes for different folks is all.

dont think there is any better way of saying that.

The thing you'll find with a cigar that is very different than the cigarette is the reason for smoking. When you smoke a cigarette it is for the quick nicotine fix, no ritual no relaxation, it is the on the go smoke. Cigars are the total opposite. I smoke cigars for the ritual. You walk to your humidor look inside, pick up a couple different cigars, give em a squeeze, a smell and decide that is the one I want this time, and you put the others back, knowing that in a week or even months one of them will meet the flame as well. Then you go outside or where ever you smoke, pick the right lighter, cutter and even drink to pair it with. Give the cigar another little sniff. Wet the head a little bit, carefully make your cut. Then you give it that first trial draw, make sure you cut enough and that air passes through just right, not to hard, not to easy. Then it's time to light her up, toast the foot a little, get her going, make those first little puffs.

Cigars are all ritual and we all have our own style of smoking. What separates us from the cigarette smokers is that we don't do it for a quick fix. Every cigar is a different experience, every cigar is totally about you. A time to sit back relax with friends, a book, go fishing what ever, just so long as you spend that hour to 2 hours just letting all your cares just float away. That's the cigar.

As far as where you can buy on the cheap and how to get started you first have to decide if cigar smoking is really for you. If it is then I suggest you invest in a humidor. Another suggestion, get bigger than you think you need. If you think a humidor that holds 50 will suit your needs get one that holds 100. I myself have gone from 50 to 75 to 200. I now have a 200 count humidor nearly full and a coolerdor that hold at least another 200 full. I only smoke 1 or 2 a week. It's like RAD, you'll hear from everyone who smokes cigars, try this one, try this one, oh man I just smoked this and it was great and then you'll decide well I need to try that too. So like I said go bigger than you think you need. For humidors, try cubancrafters.com , cheaphumidors.com. There are many other places to try as well but I'll let somebody else pipe up on those.

Give it up. You kicked a nasty, expensive, and very unhealthy habit. Don't mess with anything that might bring it back. Move on.

After spending years quitting for a few months then smoking again and repeating ad nauseum, I finally have a few years not smoking under my belt. Not a chance I will ever smoke anything again, it is just not worth it.

sgilrein....tried to reply to your PM, but it says you don't accept PMs.

I need more information. You think you want to try a wide range of wrappers and strengths, especially since you're an ex-cigarette smoker. or just start on the mild side.

how long since you quit? if it's pretty recent, i recommend waiting, as it can definately send you back to cigarettes. there is nicotine in cigars, and you will definately get some in your system w/out inhaling.

The thing you'll find with a cigar that is very different than the cigarette is the reason for smoking. When you smoke a cigarette it is for the quick nicotine fix, no ritual no relaxation, it is the on the go smoke. Cigars are the total opposite. I smoke cigars for the ritual. You walk to your humidor look inside, pick up a couple different cigars, give em a squeeze, a smell and decide that is the one I want this time, and you put the others back, knowing that in a week or even months one of them will meet the flame as well. Then you go outside or where ever you smoke, pick the right lighter, cutter and even drink to pair it with. Give the cigar another little sniff. Wet the head a little bit, carefully make your cut. Then you give it that first trial draw, make sure you cut enough and that air passes through just right, not to hard, not to easy. Then it's time to light her up, toast the foot a little, get her going, make those first little puffs.

Cigars are all ritual and we all have our own style of smoking. What separates us from the cigarette smokers is that we don't do it for a quick fix. Every cigar is a different experience, every cigar is totally about you. A time to sit back relax with friends, a book, go fishing what ever, just so long as you spend that hour to 2 hours just letting all your cares just float away. That's the cigar.

As far as where you can buy on the cheap and how to get started you first have to decide if cigar smoking is really for you. If it is then I suggest you invest in a humidor. Another suggestion, get bigger than you think you need. If you think a humidor that holds 50 will suit your needs get one that holds 100. I myself have gone from 50 to 75 to 200. I now have a 200 count humidor nearly full and a coolerdor that hold at least another 200 full. I only smoke 1 or 2 a week. It's like RAD, you'll hear from everyone who smokes cigars, try this one, try this one, oh man I just smoked this and it was great and then you'll decide well I need to try that too. So like I said go bigger than you think you need. For humidors, try cubancrafters.com , cheaphumidors.com. There are many other places to try as well but I'll let somebody else pipe up on those.

Not only a prophet but also a sage.

I, too, am an ex-cigarette smoker. I enjoy a cigar every day, usually in the evening, outside on the porch, after work. You smoke cigarettes to acquire nicotine. You smoke cigars for flavor. There is some nicotine involved to be sure, but it isn't the point, just a side effect. I have never wanted to return to cig smoking even though I smoke daily. Also, there are times when I can't smoke; don't have the time (no desperate toking outside the entrance to work for me, I want a quiet, relaxing hour to enjoy my cigar), too cold on the porch, etc. At such times I don't end up pacing the living room floor because I didn't have my nicotine fix. I'm fine, no nicotine withdrawal.

Order a sampler from Thompson Cigars, J&R, or one of the outfits mentioned in the quote. Select cigars like you select your razor blades. YMMV and a good cigar is the one you enjoy smoking, irregardless of what others are smoking.

Not only a prophet but also a sage.

I, too, am an ex-cigarette smoker. I enjoy a cigar every day, usually in the evening, outside on the porch, after work. You smoke cigarettes to acquire nicotine. You smoke cigars for flavor. There is some nicotine involved to be sure, but it isn't the point, just a side effect. I have never wanted to return to cig smoking even though I smoke daily. Also, there are times when I can't smoke; don't have the time (no desperate toking outside the entrance to work for me, I want a quiet, relaxing hour to enjoy my cigar), too cold on the porch, etc. At such times I don't end up pacing the living room floor because I didn't have my nicotine fix. I'm fine, no nicotine withdrawal.

I wonder how many people would still smoke cigars if there was absolutely no nicotine in them? Honestly, now? Let's not kid ourselves.

I mean, I can try to sell myself the notion that I love the flavor of my dip, or that I love the flavor and aroma and ritual of the cigar or pipe, and I can do that all day long. But the fact still remains: nicotine plays a huge role in this whole deal, whether I like to admit it or not. Yea, maybe I'm not AS addicted to nicotine as I was before when I used to smoke cigarettes, but I'm still somewhat addicted. And not just to the ritual- but the ever present nicotine as well; this is what I realize if I am honest with myself.

But hey, that's just me. And I enjoy it regardless.

I wonder how many people would still smoke cigars if there was absolutely no nicotine in them? Honestly, now? Let's not kid ourselves.

I mean, I can try to sell myself the notion that I love the flavor of my dip, or that I love the flavor and aroma and ritual of the cigar or pipe, and I can do that all day long. But the fact still remains: nicotine plays a huge role in this whole deal, whether I like to admit it or not. Yea, maybe I'm not AS addicted to nicotine as I was before when I used to smoke cigarettes, but I'm still somewhat addicted. And not just to the ritual- but the ever present nicotine as well; this is what I realize if I am honest with myself.

But hey, that's just me. And I enjoy it regardless.

Well since there arent any nicotine free tobacco alternatives, I suppose we cannot know for sure. That said I do not smoke cigars specifically for a nicotine fix, which several of my cigarette smoking associates clearly do.

In the last year there are times that I have had a cigar every day of the week for stretches, but recently I have kinda waned down to once or twice a week. I do think its dishonest to think that nicotine isnt part of why I enjoy a cigar (kind of like those wine or whiskey snobs saying they wished there was alcohol free spirits where they can just enjoy the taste, be real), its part of the whole experience, but I have a hard time believing I am addicted at all, as I can go for long stretches not wanting or thinking about a cigar at all. My cigarette smoking girlfriend sure couldnt go a week or so without one of hers.

Top Bottom