What's new

shaving soaps/creams that smell like...well...soap

I've been wetshaving since March, and I really enjoyed the Truefitt and Hill tube I started out with. When I ran out last week, I grated up a couple Van Hagen pucks from the local Walgreens. I love the slickness and price, but I could do without the slight sweet smell.

What I'm looking for are great-performing budget soaps and creams that have a scent similar to a regular bar of soap. The sharp, clean smell is just a great bracing wake-up call for me since I'm not the hugest morning person.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Williams Mug Soap is one of the most distinct "fresh soap" smelling one out there. It is not the best by a long shot, but I used it exclusively for I'd say the first 3 months or so of starting this hobby in late 2006. I have been spoiled by TABAC, T&H, Trumpers since then. I really should buy a fresh puck of it and use it for old times sake!

another vote for Williams; smells like soap and is the cheapest soap out there. but with some work you can make it work well.

Another soap is Arko; smells like soap and wow, you cannot beat the lather; I found a place online to order that is not AS bad as ordering it from turkey.

A couple well-priced shave sticks that smell soapy and perform well are Speick and Palmolive.

I love the pure soap smell of the Valobra stick but you're getting up there in price at about 10 USD.

Valobra stick
Mitchell's woolfat
Williams (not as good as the previous two)
Revivage (but now we're moving a tad bit away from "pure soap scent")

ARKO, what else ? Costs next to nothing,lathers and shaves like a dream and if that soapy smell doesn't wake you up...

ARKO, what else ? Costs next to nothing,lathers and shaves like a dream and if that soapy smell doesn't wake you up...

If you like the smell of soap, ARKO is definitely the product for you.

You can find the Arko here. While you're at it, you should order a couple of Alum blocks, as well.

HTH.

-- John Gehman

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Another vote for Arko.

Of course there is also Colgate, but I think you actually want to get a nice shave in the process so forget that one. I like the Burma Shave soap better than Williams, but I am not sure if it is still available.

If you like to smell like the urinals at a gas station restroom - seriously, this stuff smells like disinfectant. Decent shave though.

Palmolive.

Yes, yes, yes - this is an awesome soap and has a nice fresh, soapy smell - cheap too.

The Conk amber smells just like Pears bath soap.

Most of the French shea butter soaps are good in this regard - Pre de Provence, Institute Karite - good shaving as well. Not as cheap as the Conk, Palmolive or VDH, but harder soap, so it lasts longer and is about the same cost per shave.

I'd agree with andrews; the Surrey/Vanderhagen Deluxe or Select soaps remind me of Ivory soap. Very clean traditional soapy smell, plus very good soaps. I particularly like the Select and can get it in bulk from a local barber supply shop which makes it about as cheap as you can get.

Most of the French shea butter soaps are good in this regard - Pre de Provence, Institute Karite - good shaving as well. Not as cheap as the Conk, Palmolive or VDH, but harder soap, so it lasts longer and is about the same cost per shave.

First thing that popped into my mind as well.

Top Bottom