What's new

Subtle application

How do you apply your cologne in a non-overpowering way? I enjoy smelling nice, but I am not looking to be noticed blocks...or even feet...away. In my case, I'm after subtlety, just the barest suggestion of a pleasant aroma. And is there a cologne or style of colognes that are more effective in hinting at its smell? Perhaps something extremely light? Or is it all in the application?

You'll certainly find a large variety in the colognes themselves... Some take only a a dab to be quite pronounced all day long, while others can be applied generously and still be fairly subtle...

So really it depends, but there are a few things you can look for...

First, always get a decant or sample of a scent first... This way you can judge just how powerful it is... Once you find something you like, if you're looking for subtle, there's a few options...

First, remember that there is a difference between a splash, an Eau de Cologne, an Eau de Toilette, and Eau de Parfum... The difference is in the concentration of oils (fragrance) to alcohol or carrier... The splashes and aftershaves are typically the lightest at .5 to 2%... Next is the cologne at 2-5%... Then Toilette at 5-20%... followed by Parfum at 10-15%... There's also a Perfume which is 15-30%...

The less oil, the more subtle the fragrance...

The other thing you can do is make sure it's in a splash type applicator rather than an atomizer... This will give you a lot more control over how much you apply, letting you get just a drop to put on your wrists, etc...

Any recommended scents known for their subtlty?

I'm probably the wrong one to ask... I always go for the more extreme side of the spectrum... i.e. Czech & Speake No 88... If you're looking for subtle, stay FAR away from that one... :biggrin:

GFT Wellington is a greener citrus like scent with a spicy woody undertone that's pretty mild and subtle... Might be worth a shot... (GFT is Geo F. Trumper)

I'm not that familer with them, but as I recall most of the L'Artisan stuff is pretty subtle....

A lot of the folks on here speak highly of the Tam Dao which is somewhat subtle...

Bvlgari PH or Bvlgari pour Homme might be worth a shot too... I actually like both of those and they are very subtle by my standards...

Subtlety is the key, IMO. You don't want to be known as "that guy".

It also depends on the fragrance, obviously some are much stronger than others. For some, even one full spritz can be too much (Badger & Blade cologne, Knize Ten, etc) and others you can apply liberally and still not offend anyone.

Chest is the best place to apply, IMO. One or two spritz for most fragrances. If it's a splash applicator, I'll just dab the insides of my elbows and on my upper chest.

As ever, Isaias has a good answer:

This is how it goes for me:

Wrists: Just to test fragrance. I never apply fragrance here unless I want it to disappear fast or I am out of skin to test it.

Inner Elbows: This offers more longevity and a good place to keep smelling fragrances for a longer period of time. Still not good enough to consider a full wear.

Neck: it gives out good silage. Downside: Bad longevity and Nose Fatigue.

Chest. Moderate Silage, good longevity. My preferred place to spray. specially since I get whiffs of my SOTD all day long. Tip: Is there a nice lady at less than 3 ft? "pump" you shirt as in “it is hot in here don’t you think?”

Abdomen. For heavy fragrances. (Only this way I can wear M7, M7 fresh and Black Oud (grey flannel also smells great this way))

Back of the neck/head. I have tried this a couple of times when I wear turtlenecks. Some say it gives more silage but not my favorite

Clothes. A lot of silage and longevity but underdeveloped fragrance. Clothes are generally not as hot as our skin. Moreover, the scent does not evolve with your own chemistry. Finally, the fragrance may stain your clothes or react with the scented detergent if this one is strong enough.

Walk through application. Good when you need 'less than a full spray'*. Other than that, I think of it as an easy way for mirrors to get stained and a waste of perfume.

Spray on your hands and then extend over your body method: Not a big fan. IMO, another way to waste fragrance.

*Always use full sprays. Spray at a considerable distance… this gives more space for the juice to cover more skin ( more heat and more room for the notes to develop).

When you are sleepy and with a cold nose, you perceive scents with less intensity. Do not Inhale while you are spraying... this may also mess with your sense of smell.

But the best tool to properly wear a fragrance is your mouth and someone else's nose...
Do not be afraid to ask.

Koso - those seem like great tips.

I'm not a big cologne guy (at least not since high school when I was out to impress the ladies) but since starting DE shaving I've come around some.

I've picked up quite a few testers but I'm not sure where, how much, or how to apply them. Anyone have some good recommendations?

Top Bottom