What's new

Tilley Hats, what do you think?

What do you think of Tilley hats?

• I have a Tilley and like it

• I have a Tilley and don't like it

• I have not owned a Tilley but prefer a different brand of hat

Results are only viewable after voting.
I live in the desert and I wear mine when I go to Elephant Butte Lake where there is very little shade (unless you bring your own!) that and a good amount of sunscreen really saves my skin.
Great hat, great protection, I can't ask more than that!

So where abouts in New Mexico are you? Never knew I had a fellow B&B'r so close by! :w00t:

On topic: I've been meaning to get one of these. As I get older I find baseball hats no longer suit my *cough* rounder face....:redface:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I needed to get a sun hat last year. I looked at Tilleys, but they were awfully expensive.

Then, I found Coolibar http://www.coolibar.com/02500.html
and got this hat. It cost considerably less. I love it!

For my purposes, I have not found many less expensive hats that perform the same as a Tilley. That's why I waited until spring to get one. I like sailing, and often, there is no time to grab at a hat that is being blown off by the wind. The Tilley has a strap that goes under the chin and around the back of the head. Most others do not have this feature.

Ultimate Hat is the only one that I almost bought instead. A side by side comparison and the Tilley warranty sold me. The liquidation sale was just icing on the cake.

I have a T5 and a T3 and just love them. In fact, I 'm wearing a Tilley hat on my Facebook Profile photo

Ultimate canoeing companion, second only to a life jacket.

Although I do not wear it outside of wilderness environments.

Mrs. Chip's parents have Tilley hats and love them. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the way they look; that's the only thing stopping me from getting one.

For now I just go with a bandanna. Takes up no space and it's a great multitasker.

Last edited:
I love my Tilley hat. The only thing I don't like about it is the "floppy" brim. I can't shape it the way I like it so it looks like a sine wave. I wish the brim was sturdier.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I love my Tilley hat. The only thing I don't like about it is the "floppy" brim. I can't shape it the way I like it so it looks like a sine wave. I wish the brim was sturdier.

While I originally wanted the cotton version, I find the LTM3 to have a little stiffer brim. I also like the snaps to snap up one or both sides.

Ultimate canoeing companion, second only to a life jacket.

+1M But ... what's a life jacket? :biggrin:

I have two Tilleys, one brown (blends in better to the surroundings) one white, which reflects more sun on hot sunny days and keeps me a bit cooler.

Thunder: To reshape the crown, try this...

Wash or soak. Do not dry in dryer. Roll a thick hand towel into a roll/log shape. Shape that roll into a circle. Stuff that into the hat so that it fills up the crown. Allow the Tilley to air dry. It will take a while depending on relative humidity and temperature, of course.

For an older hat that has lost some of its "hand", adding some laundry starch to the wash or soak water might be helpful, though I've never tried that.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Bit of an older post but: got a tm10 tilley hat about a year and a half ago for a trip to asia... its a great hat, well made, even though i got their coolest hat (temp wise) i still found the hat to be very hot. Maybe something in straw or something woukd be cooler in the summer, but people ask me where i got my hat ll the time. they'll gasp at the price, but I am the kind of person who will research and buy one good item that will last and see good use, than many things that are shelf princesses.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, I don't get hat's, until me ears freeze then a stocking hat, or toboggan if you will, is it. Spent last week with some gents that I went to college with, golf and such, and at one point one of them had on what looked like a Tilley Hat. He took some guff, and it wasn't seen again. Most of us were born before Ike took office, and I understand the need to shield their bald pates, but despite chemo and the charm of the hipster I don't "need" one in the summer yet. That said, the Tilly looks a lot better than a ball cap, at least outside.

proxy.php

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dennis::
I wore a Trilby when I was a lot younger, but now I only wear Fedoras (which gives me that 'Mad Men dashing and debonair' look), black & gray...fall/winter and a Straw...spring/summer). :blush:

However, I think the style of trilby Matt Damon was wearing (he did 'pull-it-off'), in the 2011 movie "The Adjustment Bureau" is awesome!!! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
attachment.php

proxy.php
"**** your hat [because], angles are [great], attitudes". Frank Sinatra

PS Do you think this Thread should be 'moved' to the Haberdashery Sub-forum
proxy.php

Last edited:
Hm. Good question Christopher. It's kind of a cross-post, because of its relevance to the outdoors. But considering the original links don't even work anymore, I wonder if the better question might be, "Is this the Dawn of the Dead Thread?"

I bought my Dad a Tilley, at least 10 years ago. He wears it while cutting the lawn (they have about 3 acres of lawn) and swears by it. I bought my Mother one too, she doesn't wear it so much.

I thought about getting a Tilley for myself, but instead I bought a surplus British Army boonie hat for less than $20. I live in a very hot and sunny area, the hat serves it's purpose very well. It even has a Velcro detachable neck guard to keep the sun off the neck, but I hardly ever use that feature.

I have two and love them. One wool one for winter and a really old beat up one for when I go camping/hiking. I'm eventually going to get a third one for day to day summer use.

I have one. It is my "go to" for camping, hiking and fishing. I honestly don't care for the look, but I like the broader brim on mine. It keeps the sun off my ears and neck, unlike a baseball cap.

Top Bottom