What's new

Success, but ...

After years of mediocre lather, I finally got it right this morning -- lots of rich lather, enough for 4 passes and still lather left in the brush. The only bad part is that I'm not certain what I did differently :confused:

Now -- any suggestions for getting it smooth over and around the Adam's apple without nicks? I've been shaving, one way or another, for more than 40 years and I still can't get this part right. Technique suggestions?

Gene.

Today, it was a Merkur long handle. I also use from time to time a Gillette open comb, but today it was the Merkur.

Gene.

Adam's apple is always a problem for me too. Looking forward to reading the responses from those wiser than I.

For the Adam's apple, I sort of do a swallow and hold. That moves it out of the way and I can get a clean shave there. Does that make any sense?

Welcome fellow Texan. You will need to experiment with the angle of the razor. A less aggressive angle should help.

charleton said:
Now -- any suggestions for getting it smooth over and around the Adam's apple without nicks? I've been shaving, one way or another, for more than 40 years and I still can't get this part right. Technique suggestions?

Gene.

pull the skin to one side of the "apple", then proceed to shave. I usually do this by reaching around the back of my neck...ie: pull to the right by reaching around the back of neck with left hand and pulling to right.

letterk said:
For the Adam's apple, I sort of do a swallow and hold. That moves it out of the way and I can get a clean shave there. Does that make any sense?

It does. I'm sitting here in front of the computer swallowing and fondling my throat, and you're right, it does flatten things out. Whether I can "hold" it long enough to shave over the area is another question. :tongue:

More later. Thanks.

Gene.

Austin said:
Welcome fellow Texan. You will need to experiment with the angle of the razor. A less aggressive angle should help.

And thanks for the welcome, Austin. I've tried what seems like all the different angles, but I'll keep at it, and I'll also try pulling to the side. Between these suggestions, something should work. Watch this space.

Gene.

BTW: the thing about the lather suddenly becoming right when you can't tell that you did anything differently? I find that happens a lot in activities that are learned mainly by the unconscious. You try and try and try, and suddenly it's okay and you can't figure out what you did differently: ice-skating, for example, or skiing, or (one memorable thing for me) programming in Forth: lots of inexplicable crashes, things not working, and then everything started going smoothly. Clearly I was writing different code, but the clean-up in technique was unconscious...

charleton said:
After years of mediocre lather, I finally got it right this morning -- lots of rich lather, enough for 4 passes and still lather left in the brush. The only bad part is that I'm not certain what I did differently :confused:

Gene.

That reminds me of an episode of Cheers where Woody is trying to invent a new drink. When he finally makes one that is great he can't figure out what he used because of all the bottles on the bar.

Top Bottom