What's new

Another "Which Brush?" thread; Rooney 1/1 in Super vs. Shavemac Finest vs. Savile Row

Best brush under $80 and 23mm for soaps?

• Rooney 1/1 in Super

• Shavemac Finest

• Savile Row (please state which)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, another one of these :lol: Finances didn't allow me to go through with getting the 3824 when I was looking for a brush before :mad3:, but now I'm back in the market.

I am a soaps user mostly, but I do tend to still use creams from time to time.

The Rooney Style 1 Size 1 in Super Badger is really a fantastic looking brush (I'd be choosing faux horn)that seems to get even more praise around here lately for being a great soap brush.

Shavemac is, well...a Shavemac. And Savile Row is...well, it's Savile Row :w00t:

I think I'd actually prefer a somewhat smaller brush, and I'll be lathering in a bowl as well as on my face.

What's the best value for a soaps brush out of these? I have a feeling many are going to say that I'm going to be extremely happy with any of these, but input from those that have tried more than one of these is greatly appreciated as well as any additional insight you have to offer.

Don't want to pay any more than $75-80.00.

All advice is greatly appreciated! I've been perusing threads about all of these and there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus, so I'm not sure what inspired me to create this thread knowing it will meet the same fate :lol:.

-Allen

Based on your criteria, the Rooney 1/1 is your only choice. Both the Shavemac and Savile Row at or near 23mm will eclipse your price point of $80.

Based on your criteria, the Rooney 1/1 is your only choice. Both the Shavemac and Savile Row at or near 23mm will eclipse your price point of $80.

And, even though the knot size is roughly the same, the loft on the SR and Shavemac is much larger than the Rooney, so those would feel much larger on the face.

If you want to stay in that price range, and you like a smaller brush, the Rooney is for you.

Regards.

J

Allen,
If those are the parameters you are looking at for size and price, I would suggest you get in touch with Charles at QED and ask him about the QED Selects. I you want a quality hand made silver tip and are limited to $80, I think that is your best choice.
As a matter of fact, I bet he can match a brush to your needs for that and you will still have enough left over for a soap round or a tub of cream..:yesnod:

Thanks Ron!

Great, another one to add to the list :lol: I have oggled your QED brush ever since you've been posting it in the SOTD:w00t:

I am assuming you like it? Are they Savile Row brushes or something a bit different?

Thanks Ron!

Great, another one to add to the list :lol: I have oggled your QED brush ever since you've been posting it in the SOTD:w00t:

I am assuming you like it? Are they Savile Row brushes or something a bit different?

Of late I have been using a QED Select. Something Charles has been working on for the past two years.Quite nice and ideal for those who are limiting their price range. He has them in 20mm, 22mm, and 24mm.. A call is probably the best option for now..

Of late I have been using a QED Select. Something Charles has been working on for the past two years.Quite nice and ideal for those who are limiting their price range. He has them in 20mm, 22mm, and 24mm.. A call is probably the best option for now..

Ron, thanks again!

I shot Charles an e-mail and I am no less than pleasantly surprised to find out the prices of these brushes!

Is this guy kidding?!

20mm in Best or Silvertip ... $43.00 or $55.00
22mm in Best or Silvertip ... $46.00 or $59.00
24mm in Best or Silvertip ... $51.00 or $65.00

Do you have any issues with your brush at all? I may start up another thread on the QED brushes, they don't get any talk around here.

Is the Silvertip floppy at all?

I thank you all for your thoughts, gentlemen.

Despite the Rooney being highly regarded, I don't think I'm going to be able to pass up one of QED's brushes. At those prices, I don't think anyone can argue.

A 22mm Silvertip for <$60 for a brush that CHARLES recommends? :lol: I've spoken a few words with him and if Charles recommends them, I doubt I can go wrong there. Thank you for the recommendation, Ron!

The only difficult part is figuring out whether I want to go with Silvertip or Best. As Charles and other wise gentlemen will state, any good brush will perform well with both soaps and creams.

Time for the good old search engine and "Best versus Silvertip" key words again :lol:

Ron - do you think the QED select is a better brush than the Rooney 1/1 in super badger?

I think this whole brush nonsense is VERY subjective, and the answer to this question always depends on each person's individual preference. I personally prefer a smaller (20-22mm) brush with a decent firmness, but also extremely soft tips are a must.

I should have a QED on the way, and my primary brush is a Rooney 1/1, so may have some comparison thoughts for you in a week or so.

Regards.

J

J - I look forward to reading your thoughts on the brush comparison. I'm looking for a brush that does well with soaps. Every badger brush I have purchase is more of a cream brush. I do like boar brushes for soaps but they just don't load up enough for three or four passes. They handle two fine but that seems to be their maximum.

Ron - do you think the QED select is a better brush than the Rooney 1/1 in super badger?
I would not own a Rooney, not necessarily because of the qualties of the brushes, but because of the business ethics of the resurrector of the Rooney brush. I attempt to avoid dealing with scoundrels. :frown2:
With that said, something of which you may not be aware is that the Selects are offered in the three grades, Pure, Best, and Silver Tip. If you are a gambling man and willing to risk the cost of an evening of brews at the neighborhood pub, you may wish to get a 20mm Select Pure. A bit of scritch and a lot of value for the price. The badger hair has greater water retention ability than the boar and may be just the thing you are looking for to support your 4-pass. You probably should check on their availability and price.:idea:

OK, I have succumbed. Went for a 24mm in Best. Decided not to go for the Silvertip this time because my next brush will likely be an SR 3824. If these brushes live up to my expectations, I assured Charles I'd spread the good word. I'm sure Charles' expectations are much higher than my own, so I don't think that will be an issue! Of course I had to pick up Fresh Limes while I was at it.

Top Bottom