What's new

Doing some A/S Splash Research

Gentlemen,

As part of my continuing education in all thing shaving I am undertaking a little research project. This particular project relates to the various ingredients in our favorite aftershave splashes. I'm trying to better understand what ingredients are in the various splashes (differences & similarities) and what the different components do. So I'd like to enlist the help of the members here. All I need you to do is post a list of all the ingredients in the order they are listed on the package from the bottle/box of your favorite aftershave splashes/lotions (not balms, that may be later). That's it.

Here's what I've already got:

Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Aqua Velva Musk
Pinaud Clubman

Anything else is greatly appreciated. Proraso, Musgo, Speick, Tabac, Old Spice, whatever...

If the results of my little project become anything interesting I'll post it on the forum. Thanks guys!

An interesting quest -- I'll contribute a few ingredient lists. Good luck!

Alt-Innsbruck

Alcohol, Aqua, Nicitiana Tabacum, Menthol

Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

Witch Hazel, Purified H2O, Alcohol, Sandalwood and Bay Rum Fragrance and Essential Oils

And, since they're splash-like:

Thayer's Original Witch Hazel

Thayers proprietary Witch Hazel extract, Purified water, Natural grain alcohol (10%), Aloe Vera, and an emulsified natural Witch Hazel fragrance.

Thayer's Medicated Superhazel

Active ingredient: Camphol 0.1%

Inactive ingredients: Aloe Vera extract, Calendula extract, clove oil, denatured grain alcohol (20% v/v), Eucalyptol, Peppermint oil, purified water, witch hazel extract

Master Bay Rum-Delonized Pure Water, SD Alcohol 40, Glycerin, BAY OIL, FD&C Yellow #5 FD&C Yellow #6

Clubman Bay Rum- SD Alcohol 40-2, Water, Fragrance(Parfum), Blue 1, Red 4, Yellow 5

Can you tell I like Bay Rum!!!!!!

I've got a ridiculous collection. I'll contribute some of what I have:

L'Occitane CADE Aftershave Splash

Alcohol Denat, Water, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, Eletteria Cardamomum Seed Extract, Juniperus Oxycedrus Wood Oil, Ginger Root Extract, Fusanus Spicatus Wood Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Helichrysum Italicum Extract, Capsicum Annum Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Limonene, Linalool

Provence Sante

Green Tea: Water, Witch Hazel Extract, Polysorbate 80, Glycerin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Fragrance, Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Shea Butter

Verlaine: Water, Witch Hazel Extract, Polysorbate 80, Glycerin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Fragrance, Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Shea Butter

Saint Charles Shave

Savory Rose ASM: Water, Witch Hazel, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Aloe, Minerals, Soy Bean Oil, Polysorbate 20, Tea, Jojoba Oil, Allantoin, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Cocoa Butter, Hydantonie, Fragrance

Trumpers

Sandalwood Skin Food: Rose Flower Distillate, Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat, Astragalus Gummifer, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citronellol, Eugenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool

Oof. My eyes hurt from all that small text. Tabac AS doesn't have an ingredient list on the bottle and I've tossed out the box it came in. Hopefully, someone else can chime in on that one.

Hope this helps.

Here are the ingredients in our Mediterranean Citrus Splash.
(Ingredients: SD40B Alcohol, Distilled Water, Panthenol, PEG40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Citrus Aurantifolia, Menthol.

SD40B ALCOHOL ~ Special Denatured 200 proof alcohol made without isoproply alcohol. (Isopropyl is the type of cheap alcohol you can purchase at any drug store and smells quite strong). It is somewhat of a hybrid with almost no odor of alcohol. It has a component called hexylene glycol that acts as a fixative so the fragrance will last longer on your skin. It is quite a bit more expensive perfumery alcohol than regular SD. (Don't confuse the term Denatured alcohol with the type you buy at Home Depot.)

PANTHENOL ~ Panthenol is used in skin and hair care products. It provides revitalizing and conditioning effects, due to it's humectant-like properties. This helps in skin absorption.
Panthenol is said to contribute to coenzyme A. Coenzyme A is needed by every living cell to grow and survive. It's one of the easier to use ingredients since it is a liquid. We add it during the water phase of our recipe. It can be added to lotions also.

PEG40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL ~ This is an emulsifier that blends oil and water so it doesn't separate in products. It has to be melted to measure it and use it in recipes. It has no smell at all and has a consistancy of something between jelly and jam.

CITRIC ACID ~ Is used to adjust the Ph of a product so it is skin friendly. Citric Acid is also used to make Bath Bombs or Bath Fizzies.

CUTRUS AURANTIFOLIA ~ is the proper name for a citrus or lime fragrance.

MENTHOL ~ The menthol we use is in crystal form. Menthol looks very pretty, like tiny icecycles (sp? just doesn't look right :). Menthol has to be melted before adding it into a recipe. Generally this is done using part of another liquid ingredient. It is not shipped by suppliers in very hot weather as the crystals will melt together.

Sue

Floris Elite AS:alcohol den. aqua(water) hamamelis virginiana(witch hazel) water parfurm (fragrance) glycerin PEG-40 Hydrogenated castor oil Trideceth-9 benzophenone-2, CI 42090 (blue-1) benzyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate, citral, citronellol, coumarin, eugenol, geraniol, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, limonene, linalool, alpha isomethyl ionone, evernia furfuracea (tree moss extract)

It looks like a chemistry set; I think it has some vetiver on it because that is why i like it :smile:

Floris Elite AS:alcohol den. aqua(water) hamamelis virginiana(witch hazel) water parfurm (fragrance) glycerin PEG-40 Hydrogenated castor oil Trideceth-9 benzophenone-2, CI 42090 (blue-1) benzyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate, citral, citronellol, coumarin, eugenol, geraniol, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, limonene, linalool, alpha isomethyl ionone, evernia furfuracea (tree moss extract)

It looks like a chemistry set; I think it has some vetiver on it because that is why i like it :smile:

Most cosmetic ingredients sound ominous. All ingredients used in cosmetics are FDA approved. If you have sensitive skin, it is a good idea to narrow down specific ingredients that cause you problems. Usually you can do this by the process of elimination.

If you have sensitive skin, a good way to try new products such as an Afterhave is to apply a little to your inner elbow and leave it on for 24 hours. If no redness or irritation occurs, you should be safe to put it on your face.

Always close your pores after shaving before applying A/S especially a Splash that contains alcohol. Splash on some cool water or hold a cold washcloth on your shaved skin.

Until you are familiar with a product, use less than you think you need initially, only apply more as needed. If you end up with tacky or sticky results; generally you have used too much.
Sue

Tabac AS doesn't have an ingredient list on the bottle and I've tossed out the box it came in. Hopefully, someone else can chime in on that one.

I'm having the same issue with Proraso. The bottle doesn't like the ingredients and the box is long gone.

Sue,

Thank you for going the extra mile and helping understand what all these are for. That will save me a good bit of research.

Thanks to everyone. This is great. Keep them coming.:thumbup:

Well...ideally I'd like to compile this various information from the more popular splashes...AV, Proraso, Speick, Tabac, Old Spice, etc...and lay it out in a manner that could go into the wiki. I honestly hadn't thought about the wiki until you mentioned it but that would be a great place for the end results to go.

I'd love to get an ingredient list for Proraso, Musgo, Tabac, Trumpers, or Taylors A/S Splashes if anyone can provide one.

Tabac A/S:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Tabac A/S:

full

I have to wonder why sodium hydoxide is in an aftershave. If someone knows, please enlighten me.

Sodium hydroxide is used to make soap. (it's lye in it's active form and soap when saponified with fats).

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wonder why sodium hydoxide is in an aftershave. If someone knows, please enlighten me.

Sodium hydroxide is used to make soap. (it's lye in it's active form and soap when saponified with fats).

Sue

Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) would be used to increase the pH (higher number) of the solution. It dissociates in most mediums to sodium salt and water. Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) is the other common reagent to decrease (lower number) pH.

Dennis

Two more for you:

Proraso

Alcohol Denat., Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Parfum, Hamamelis virginiana, Allantoin, Menthol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Geranol, Linalool, Caramel, C I 42090, C I 47005.

Musgo Real

Alcohol, Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Extract), Parfum, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium PCA, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel Extract), Echinacea Purpurea (Echinacea Extract), Bisabolol.

Top Bottom