What's new

Brylcreem. Classic, yes?

Just bought some Brylcreem today and tried it (I borrowed a bit years ago from an older gent when I forgot my gel, but I forget what it was like). Very very nice stuff. Very similar to Booster Lanolin but thicker and holds a bit more. A very pleasant scent too. My long deceased grandfather used it for a long time, so that along with DE razors brings us closer!

rustyblade said:
Just bought some Brylcreem today and tried it (I borrowed a bit years ago from an older gent when I forgot my gel, but I forget what it was like). Very very nice stuff. Very similar to Booster Lanolin but thicker and holds a bit more. A very pleasant scent too. My long deceased grandfather used it for a long time, so that along with DE razors brings us closer!
I love the scent.

I just bought some of the original Brylcreem (red pot) from the shop at lunchtime. My hair's pretty short at the moment (I'm growing it out) but I'll try some tonight after work.

I always avoided Brylcreem when I was younger as I always assumed it was just for "old-timers", same as Old Spice. I'm certainly not an old-timer at 32 but I'm having great fun rediscovering all these classic old products. What I find so cool is they're often cheaper and better than modern equivalents. :smile:

Any Wild Root hair cream users? My dad switched to WR from Brylcreem. I know he had used Brylcreem for at least 40 years. Wild Root must be pretty good for him to change. He gets it at Walgreens.

designwise1 said:
Any Wild Root hair cream users? My dad switched to WR from Brylcreem. I know he had used Brylcreem for at least 40 years. Wild Root must be pretty good for him to change. He gets it at Walgreens.
"Use Wild Root Cream Oil Charlie!" WOW Dude! I haven't heard of that great hair stuff in a long time!:thumbup:

I switch between Brylcreem, Wildroot, and just plain water, in no particular order, depending on how long my hair is getting. I use a "dab" of Brylcreem on my hair dry, with excellent results -- not too greasy, holds my hair in place, gives it back some body. I will try it wet, though, now that I've read some of the posts here...

Wildroot seems to work best if you actually wet your hair a bit after applying, and then towel off. Otherwise its just too slick.

Funny old Brylcreem ad:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MwgE-AhzCTU

I've seen the Wildroot cream and having heard about it for years must admit to being curious. I think I may have to give it a try.

Hi gents, i have been a huge fan of American Brylcreem (black tube) for a few months now, and i have also acquired some foreign versions that are all offshoots of the British version (which i believe to be the original), which comes in a red tub. I have posted on these versions in a thread from a different forum, and i have copied 2 of them for your reference below (and made some slight changes to update):

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:37 pm Post subject: Asian Brylcreem(s)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gents, the American Brylcreem, made by J. B. Williams Co., is the perfect grooming product for me; i like the unusual scent, it imparts the hair with shine and leaves if soft. It also doesn't give that much hold, the way i like it as i want it to feel quite natural and move in the wind. So i've been trying to acquire other versions of Brylcreems original styling or hair creams (not the newer gels, etc.).

A friend mailed me the British version almost 3 weeks ago which i have yet to recieve. It comes in a red and white tub and contains milk proteins, so it is different to the American version. It is the original made by Sara Lee

A couple of weeks ago, i found an Indian version of Brylcreem (Sara Lee India) from Little India in Queens, NY City; it also comes in a red and white tub and contains proteins, so it is similar if not identical to the British product. It has a different scent, consistency and ingredients to the American version. The grooming difference? It is less oily/greasy, imparts less shine but more hold than the local product. I think many individuals will prefer the Indian (and Brit) version over the local one if they want a little more hold and a little less shine/oilyness.

Yesterday, in another Indian store, i found a red and black tub version that is made in Indonesia by Sara Lee Indonesia. The tub is similar to the red and white tub and it also contains milk proteins like the British/Indian versions, but has some different ingredients. It gives less shine/oilyness than the American version but a little more than the Indian version. It has a completely different scent to the American and the Indian versions, slightly lemony.

Confused? in short, all 3 have different scents, ingredients, packaging and characteristics on the hair.

Regards,

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gents, received another version of the Brylcreem Original Styling Cream. This one's from Hong Kong and manufactured in Malaysia for Sara Lee HK. It has a lighter lemon scent than its Indonesian brethren. The ingredients again are different to the other versions, and although it contains mineral oil, this one is not oily at all and has a tad more hold than the others. It clearly says New: Non-greasy, improved hold, and that's exactly what it does.

This now makes 4 red tubs in total from overseas:

1. British Brylcreem, manufactured in India. Slight "old schoolish scent" scent, not oily and some hold

2. Indian Brylcreem. Seems identicle to the Brit version except a slightly stronger but similar scent. The listed ingredients ara all present in the Brit version and they both feel exactly the same on the hair.

3. Indonesian Brylcreem. Has a nice lemon scent. This one has perhaps the most shine and least hold, but only by a little, and is still much less oily than the American version.

4. Hong Kong Brylcreem, manf. in Malaysia. Slight lemon scent, this one has the most hold with little shine.

Since i like little hold and a lotta shine, the Indonesian version is marginally favored over the Indian and Brit versions, followed by the HK version with the most hold.

Regards,

Thanks,

I had long hair past my shoulders for years and completely forgot what it was like with short hair - can't just throw it back in a ponytail and sport a hat! Because of this forum I've gotten into classic hair tonics and pomades :cool: . I take to more shine/brilliantine so American Crew is top on the list (so far). I really like Brylcreem (might wanna spot check the Bryl girls. . . ). I also like Vitalis, Wildroot, and Tres Flores (3 Flowers) - CLASSIC!

Coglinger

There's three products that I use to maintain my hair: Groom & Clean, Brylcreem, and Pinaud Hair Pomade. I use the Groom & Clean 90% of the time. It's just like Brylcreem but holds better. The scent is different though, it reminds me of Gold Dachs shaving soap scent.

I use Brylcreem on weekends every now and then. My scalp has a reaction to it if I use it too long, so I can't use it for days at a time.

I use the Pinaud Pomade when I want to lock my hair in place - say a day spent outside when it's windy. This is rare and the benefit of the pomade is that it does not get stiff and brittle like a styling gel. It's more like a very pliable wax but it's not a wax, it's water based and washes right out of the hair. You can re-wet and comb throughout the day if necessary which comes in real handy if it's pouring rain and you get caught in it. All of these products leave the hair with a healthy shine.

My favorite of these is the Groom & Clean (available in most super markets in the men's shaving/grooming aisle). It works the best for me and keeps my hair looking great. However I feel I must mention that I like my hair groomed in the classic manor of era's past a la Reagan etc. and I use these products to produce this look which I have had all my life (even through my teenage years) so keep that in mind when making any decisions about these products.

Chris

I think I'll pick up a tube of Groom & Clean today to try. I was always satisfied with Brylcreem, but not too impressed with the hold (none that I could detect). I use it just to keep the hair soft and shiny. Like an after-wash conditioner. Very finger-runner-through-able.

I love that ad, zachster! "Young, pretty girls are especially susceptible."

It reminds me of the AXE/TAG ads that people used to think were so original and clever. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the voiceover guy is the same guy too.

zachster said:

I can only handle using the British version of Brylcreem because the U.S version is too greasy and it has a smell that becomes nauseating after six or seven hours. People seem to like the smell though, as I get asked a lot about it. However, I got sick of it and purchased the British version. It's so much better. I just have to pay a bit more. I buy a big 250ml tub of it and it lasts a few months.

I can only handle using the British version of Brylcreem because the U.S version is too greasy and it has a smell that becomes nauseating after six or seven hours. People seem to like the smell though, as I get asked a lot about it. However, I got sick of it and purchased the British version. It's so much better. I just have to pay a bit more. I buy a big 250ml tub of it and it lasts a few months.

Good to know, after 10, long, years!!

:thumbup:

I noticed it has been repackaged.

Old

$1150931100CF.GIF

New

$BC_CARTON_TUBE.jpg

Old is good. The old threads are WAY better than some of the newer ones in my view. Brylcreem is some good stuff. Been using he U.S one and it is totally inferior to the British version. I wouldn't expect most Americans to know that there's a difference. Unfortunately for them, they're stuck buying - or not buying - the American version of Brylcreem. That stuff is lame compared to the British version.

Yeah, Brylcreem has been repackaged but it's the same product as before. They should have lightened it a little to make it more like the British version of Brylcreem. That stuff is nice. You can actually style your hair with it, and the scent isn't overpowering. I use Brylcreem when I'm taking a break from pomades. Brylcreem is very similar to the look you get with Royal Crown and Dax Short and Neat pomade. The same thing. My hair looks a little darker when I use Bylcreem. I have blond hair, and it darkens it. I could see how this would be a good thing for people with gray hair because it gives your hair a slightly darker tint. No wonder Ronald Reagan loved Brylcreem. It kept him looking young. It's got to be the mineral oil in the Brylcreem that causes ones hair to look darker. I get the same thing when I use Tres Flores Brilliantine liquid. It's mineral oil + scent. It gives a darker look to my hair. This isn't the classic Brilliantine though. The stuff from the 1920s was a mix of different oils. You could slather that stuff on and mix in a light pomade of the day, and your hair would look like glass.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Brylcreem is great for what it is. It'll help you degrease if you like and it's got a ton of shine, but it's a super light hold so if you need control then look to something else.

Lately, I'm enjoying Unorthodox Water Based Pomades and Clay Pomades depending on what I want. For something similar to Brylcreem except all natural and with more hold, look at Red House Water Based pomade. It's got good shine, better hold and control than Brylcreem while still having a similar texture, and it makes the hair feel healthier almost like a leave-in conditioner. It's like a more modern and natural alternative to Brylcreem with the better hold that comes along with a good quality Unorthodox Water Based Pomade.

Red House pomade has zero shine and has a really poor look. Byrlcreem is MUCH better than this chemical laden water base. Red House is over priced matte type pomade. If this is what you're using, then you need to upgrade your pomade in a huge way. Here's a review for Red House pomade
www.the-pomp-official.com/home/2016/3/19/7lwepubpfsfhj6bn9xslgff3fzqjh2

Notice the stiff gel look absent of shine. Red House is very overpriced. For that kind of look, they would need to pay me just to use that pomade.

Top Bottom