What's new

classic Pinaud Clubman scent

I've been using this for a few weeks and I've fallen in love with the aroma. I've also been on the search for a day cologne (one that's masculine but not the Cool Water type of scent). This would be about what I'm looking for; of course I'd have to wear it around before I made a call.

I've heard it can be applied straight as a fragrance, but when I did that with my last bottle of Royall Lyme, it dissipated within about 2 hours. Is this any stronger?

I've been using this for a few weeks and I've fallen in love with the aroma. I've also been on the search for a day cologne (one that's masculine but not the Cool Water type of scent). This would be about what I'm looking for; of course I'd have to wear it around before I made a call.
I've heard it can be applied straight as a fragrance, but when I did that with my last bottle of Royall Lyme, it dissipated within about 2 hours. Is this any stronger?

:confused:

Pinaud Clubman works all day for me, be carefull as a little goes a long way. I have shelved mine for the time being as it wears way to strong in this heat for my tastes.

I picked up a bottle of Clubman yesterday at CVS and I'm glad I did. It smells exactly like the barbershop I used to go to as a child. :biggrin:

I pretty much get little whiffs of it all day when I use it. I'd assume folks around me do too, at least a little . . . not strong per se, but it does have some staying power.

NANP™

Yup, Clubman regular hangs in there pretty much all day and is the quintessential barbershop smell IMO. Now you need to try the other Pinaud flavors and there are a bunch. A fairly comprehensive variety can be found here. Enjoy.

Oh, you mean the Aftershave and Colognes!
I've only use the Pinard Clubman greaseless hair tonic. Which by the way works great at keeping my hair neat without looking greasy. Anyone up to describing the scent(s)? Or providing a link to a description of the scent(s).

Oh, you mean the Aftershave and Colognes!
I've only use the Pinard Clubman greaseless hair tonic. Which by the way works great at keeping my hair neat without looking greasy. Anyone up to describing the scent(s)? Or providing a link to a description of the scent(s).

I don't care what other people say; If you've smelled Brut, you've smelled Pinaud Clubman. At least straight out of the bottle anyway. There are some differences in the way they wear: Clubman isn't as sweet, or overpowering as Brut for instance, but they are very similar. YMMV and all that.

I don't care what other people say; If you've smelled Brut, you've smelled Pinaud Clubman. At least straight out of the bottle anyway. There are some differences in the way they wear: Clubman isn't as sweet, or overpowering as Brut for instance, but they are very similar. YMMV and all that.

I don't notice the similarity, but Clubman is less expensive.

At Walgreens -
Clubman After Shave 6 oz $6.49
Brut After Shave 5 oz $6.99

So for 50 cents less, you're getting 20% more than the Brut.

Mabey the way your nose is wired, the two smell vaguely similar at best to me.

Maybe in price otherwise your crazy i guess english leather also smells like it(pure sarcasm btw)

Maybe in price otherwise your crazy i guess english leather also smells like it(pure sarcasm btw)

Folks at basenotes also agree that Clubman smells like Brut. And Canoe. Apparently they are all three examples of a simple 'fougere'. :biggrin:

To me, while they may have their differences, it is still comparing apples to apples, whereas EL would be a completely different fruit.

Well yeah if you take three scents Clubman, Brut, and say Aqua Velva and are told to pick the two that smell the most alike. But I think that clubman smells a lot like baby powder (very clean/fresh/light) and Brut smells like baby wipes (medicinal and sterile).

Well yeah if you take three scents Clubman, Brut, and say Aqua Velva and are told to pick the two that smell the most alike. But I think that clubman smells a lot like baby powder (very clean/fresh/light) and Brut smells like baby wipes (medicinal and sterile).

Baby wipes:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree very much like baby powder

I also agree there's a strong similarity between Clubman, Brut, and Canoe.

Two others that have the same smell are Wild Country by Avon and Coty Musk for Men.

I have found that Paul Sabastian cologne smells close enough to Clubman to use as a day cologne. More expensive I know, but if you need a all day scent it does work for me. I have used the clubman in the morning then the P/S for work. People around me seem to like it.

I did a search for Clubman for this exact reason! I heartily agree. I just took a whiff of Brut at my local store, and I thought, "This smells just like my Clubman!" Granted, I don't know whether they still are similar in the dry down, but at least right out of the bottle they are very similar - did Brut come after Clubman?

I have to say that Clubman lasts a looooooong time on me. Too long, in fact. It really has the longevity of a cologne for me, and I wasn't looking for that.

So to me, Brut and Clubman are very similar. I agree, if you can get the Clubman, it is probably a better deal. It seems like it is pretty ubiquitous, but you do have to go to a drugstore, while Brut can also be had at grocery stores as well.

I did a search for Clubman for this exact reason! I heartily agree. I just took a whiff of Brut at my local store, and I thought, "This smells just like my Clubman!" Granted, I don't know whether they still are similar in the dry down, but at least right out of the bottle they are very similar - did Brut come after Clubman?

(snip)

I think it is safe to say Brut came well after Clubman. I have yet to find a date for its introduction, but the official site seems to infer that it was created during Edouard Pinaud's lifetime, which I'm guessing places it in the mid 1800's at the latest making 1930's stalwarts Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, and Old Spice look new in comparison. Brut Cologne was introduced in 1964 and the splash on lotion in 1968 from what I have gathered.

Top Bottom