What's new

superglue a knot?

Could I superglue a knot in a brush? With a water resistant glue? The knot will be 1 mm smaller than the hole so it's not a problem if the glue swells a little...

Epoxy is better. The two tube stuff you mix together to use. Should be able to find it at most hardware stores or variety stores with home repair or craft sections,

super glue/cyano-acrylate gets brittle with water exposure over time. therefore, not the best choice, imho.

OK, so epoxy glue it is... The one in syringes.

You don't need to use the epoxy that you have to mix - there are lots of products that will do the trick, just make sure its designed to bond dissimilar materials and is waterproof.

To be perfectly honest, you don't need that strong a bond, its not like you're gluing on a tow-hook, but whatever you use does need to be waterproof - there are some marine adhesives that should work quite well.

I had purchased a Large black-handled silver tip Delong CHinese shave brush from CottonBlossomcrafts (which has greatly reduced their SHave Page) over 1 1/2 ago. I used it less than a dozen times. Two weeks ago, I used it with AOS lemon shave soap in a vintage Wade scuttle mug & as I shook the water out, the plug came out. The inside of the handle was half-glued. I took some Gorilla Glue & some rubber bands to hold it in place. It dried, but I haven't attempted to use it again. I was warned by a former manager at Caswell-Massey in NYC to avoid shaving brushes made in the Far East.:frown:

Now one question about epoxy glue. As I drilled the previous knot, the bottom is uneven. Could I fill the hole to the depth I want with epoxy, let it rest so it's perfectly flat (by means or gravity filling all the gaps) and than, when its dried, glue a knot (again with epoxy) on the existing epoxy filled hole?

Now one question about epoxy glue. As I drilled the previous knot, the bottom is uneven. Could I fill the hole to the depth I want with epoxy, let it rest so it's perfectly flat (by means or gravity filling all the gaps) and than, when its dried, glue a knot (again with epoxy) on the existing epoxy filled hole?

Sure, just take a little sand paper and rough up the epoxy that you leveled, so your new pour gets a good grip.

Top Bottom