What's new

going to try the dovo shavette

I have shaved with straights exclusivley now for about a year and a half. But I had been running into problems with them only staying sharp for 4-6 shaves and then having trouble sharpening them. Anyways, this past month I sold all of my straight gear, and while it was hard to part with I had been finding that all of my really good shaves come from a DE. They are easier and better shaves. The straight shaves were a little more comfortable, but never as close as a DE.

Anyways now that I have been using my slant every shave for the past couple months, I decided why not try a shavette? It's a double edge blade on a straight razor and I did like shaving with a straight I just did not always have the results I wanted. So I bought one off of Classic shaving.

It is the tourtise handled one for 26.99. I figured, if I don't like it I am not out that much money and if anything it could be used as a travel razor. What do people think of these things, are they any good? I bought the one with the red insert for half double edge blades. I read a couple good reviews on it, just wondering what people around these parts thought.

I have a Sanguine XD-20 which is pretty much the same thing and really liked it. It's way easier to cut yourself with one than a true straight though. I think it's because of the extreme sharpness of DE blades and it's smaller so there is less surface area to spread around the pressure. Anyway, for a really comfortable, close shave without having to hone and strop it's not a bad way to go. I'm not getting super close shaves from my straight like I can from a shavette yet either but I'm hoping I will as time goes on.

Too bad about your experiences with a straight. Did you try and do it all yourself or did you seek some help?

If your issue with using a straight was one of technique you will have the same issues with the shavette. They can be very unforgiving. If on the other hand it was a matter of honing and having a shave ready razor and your technique was sound then your experience with a shavette should be good.

Hi

I bought a shavette at the beginning,it was so light and small. I got a great smooth shave but always ended up with at least two cuts,always at different spots on my face. This is obviously down to poor technique but they are just so sharp.

I now have three straights, a Dovo,a Wapi and a Double Arrow. I get great shaves from all three,no irritation and only occassional small cuts,nothing at all like the shavette.

I will keep the shavette as I believe as my technique improves I will be able to get a cut free shave,they are also excellent for travel (dont want to lose my brushes,strops and razors whilst travelling ).

Too bad about your experiences with a straight. Did you try and do it all yourself or did you seek some help?

If your issue with using a straight was one of technique you will have the same issues with the shavette. They can be very unforgiving. If on the other hand it was a matter of honing and having a shave ready razor and your technique was sound then your experience with a shavette should be good.

My technique was sound as I was getting good shaves from the straights, they just did not want to stay sharp for me. After 8-9 shaves, I could touch it up, but it would always be just a little too dull and continue to deteriorate. I did like the straight razor and was hesitant to give it up, but I am faster and better with the DE for some reason. That was my reason. Now I can't stop thinking about trying a custom razor and a loom strop but thats hundreds of dollars, and then worrying about keeping it sharp.....

Just tried this thing for the first time tonight. Pretty good 3 pass shave with no cuts and just a little irritation but not bbs anywhere. I get better shaves with my slant bar. I am going to give this thing a few more tries and then if it gets better put it in my rotation, if not, probably put it up for sale on the boards.

I use a shavette often. I get the full length blades with the black holder. Works great for me. Seems just as good as any of the other two straights I have.

Top Bottom