What's new

True grit . . . how fine is fine

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a bar of CrO honing compound as well as some stones 1,000, 4,000/8,000 that I use for sharpening wood working tools. I've seen some comments that .25 micron diamond paste might actually make a razor too sharp for comfortable shaving. Do you think I need 1 micron and .25 paste (for a balsa strop) or I'm I fine with my stones and the .5 micron CrO? (I mean for honing . . . I have a strop)

People were shaving before chromium oxide powder and diamond paste, so you should be fine with your chromium, never hurts to try stuff out however. Have yet to hear of someone who shave regularly with less than 8k though.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
People were shaving before chromium oxide powder and diamond paste, so you should be fine with your chromium, never hurts to try stuff out however. Have yet to hear of someone who shave regularly with less than 8k though.

Thanks. . . helps me feel ok about putting the blade near my neck . . . ha

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I would use your CrO for final polishing after your 8K. It will give a much smoother shave.

Thanks . . .I'm a big believer in process . . . just checking before I get to the point of putting the blade on my neck. . . and ha . . . I will start on a spot other than my neck . . . truth be told . . . I'll start way north of my throat

Hehe yeah, it reminds me a bit of the Terry Pratchett world for some reason.

ChroOx powder really is like magic dust, especially in the beginning where your stones and skill might not be up to the snuff. You really need one of the rather expensive stones for it not to be a very fine reploishing

Top Bottom