What's new

Shick Krona?

I have several Gillettes and like them a lot. I was wondering about adding a Schick Krona to the stable to flesh out the range of makes and variety. I'd appreciate comments on how the Krona compares to say a slim on mid-setting or an Aristocrat in terms of shave quality and build quality and any other like/dislikes about them. Also what are the pitfalls when looking for a good one - do they crack or cease up? Thanks!

I think they are great shavers. I was very surprised by mine. They have a lower profile head than the Gillettes, so the shaving angle is a bit different, but I would say it is like a 3 on a slim as far as agressiveness, and it gives a great shave. I only have seen in person the one I own, so I can't tell you what to look for as far as problems, but I definately say it is deserving of a space in your collection.

I'm not familiar with problems associated with Kronas, but what I can say is:
Yes! definitely acquire one if you can. and:
Yes! definitely try different blades with it; the wrong combo can give a bad impression of the Krona, personally I like Derby and Red Pack Personnas with mine, but the moment I put a Feather in it - birdies were singing outside the window, dark clouds rolled away for rainbows, barking dog stopped yapping and brought me coffee and newspaper, loud neighbors turned off their music and apologized for disturbing - just everything in the world turned right :001_smile
okay, maybe that's a tad exaggerated, but it's a great combo for me.
YMMV and all, but definitely get one if you can

They are very inexpensive great, great shavers that I think everyone should try. The question should be "why not get a Krona?"

I'm not familiar with problems associated with Kronas, but what I can say is:
Yes! definitely acquire one if you can. and:
Yes! definitely try different blades with it; the wrong combo can give a bad impression of the Krona, personally I like Derby and Red Pack Personnas with mine, but the moment I put a Feather in it - birdies were singing outside the window, dark clouds rolled away for rainbows, barking dog stopped yapping and brought me coffee and newspaper, loud neighbors turned off their music and apologized for disturbing - just everything in the world turned right :001_smile
okay, maybe that's a tad exaggerated, but it's a great combo for me.
YMMV and all, but definitely get one if you can

In my case, with an Israeli Red in my Krona, birdies were singing outside the window, dark clouds rolled away for rainbows, barking dog stopped yapping and brought me coffee and newspaper, loud neighbors turned off their music and apologized for disturbing - just everything in the world turned right. And I'm not exaggerating.

I generally use a slant or a fatboy at 7, and I can tell you that the first time I used mine, my Krona really surprised me with just how good a shave it gave me. It doesn't really feel like it's doing anything, but three passes later, I had BBS. With two passes I had a DGS.

I wish that the handle wasn't plastic, but given that it's lasted 30 or so years and still shines, I guess I have no complaint. I may be wrong, but I believe that the silo doors and perhaps the entire head is stainless steel.

I prefer my Schick Krona to my other two Gillette's, a 57 SS and a 65 Slim Adjustable. It just works bette for me. Planning to pick up at least one more. Mine is, reportedly, a 65 model and looks/works like new.

I would recommend one, it's a great razor.

Thanks for all this input. With these resounding endorsements, I guess I am now moving into the "looking" mode and will post in BST accordingly.

I picked up a Krona off the 'bay for $1 plus shipping. It was in my rotation for awhile, having been replaced by a couple of Superspeeds. It does give a nice comfortable shave.

Top Bottom