What's new

In my 3rd annual attempt at using a Feather blade, I got it right!

About every 12 months over the past 3 years or so I have attempted to use a Feather blade. These are, as almost everyone here knows, the sharpest blade available.

Early on, when I first got into DE shaving (okay, it wasn't technically the first time DE shaving as I had used them in my youth) I tried using Feathers. The result was something out of a Friday the 13th film. Blood everywhere!:eek:

But I have improved immeasurably over the past year or so. :w00t: My shaves are better than anything than I could have imagined before I first ordered a Merkur HD, some Truefitt & Hill cream, and a Simpsons Brush. :001_rolle I had no idea that things could get as good as they are now. Back then I was getting nothing but horrific shaves with various modern gillette systems. Getting into DE shaving took time, practice, and patience, but I think I finally got it right. I seriously don't know how things could improve from here, but then one never knows.:001_huh:

So tonight, on a lark, I suddenly decided to use a Feather blade in my freshly cleaned and scrubbed 38c. I just thought "why not"? I had once thought that Feathers would never be for me but I thought it couldn't hurt to try again now and then. At least it would show me where I was at on this journey - meaning if I got only half as many nicks it would show a level of progression.

I did all the usual prep. Hot shower, washing and hydrating face very well. I did some extra lathering with my brush and Mitchell's Woolfat Soap. I had thought about using Olive Oil as part of my preshave prep, which has worked for me very well, but I decided against it.

With the first passes I was delighted to find that all was going swimmingly. I used everything I had ever learned about shaving (most of it from HERE:blushing:) in this shave. I truly brought all my experience to bear, much as Larry Holmes did when he fought Ray Mercer in '91

proxy.php

The Feather Blade was sharp, but finally, after all these shaves, my technique was sharper!

The result: a very, very smooth shave. No irritation whatsoever. Only a tiny micro-dot of blood of which there was no trace of after a cold water splash and a palm full of Aqua Velva.

Not a perfect shave - but perhaps close. Probably one of the things that I have learned here which has been most valuable is that things can never be perfect, and that there are aims in the art of shaving that offer an even greater pay off than achieving a perfectly shaved face.

And now you have learned the value of technique and practice(and also why we encourage many new wetshavers to wait before jumoing in with the feather blade.)

Great experience! Plus, now you have reached a new level of wetshaving mastery.

marty

One thing that I am very happy about is the fact that I can get the job done ina decent amount of time.

A great shave need not be a long shave. I have managed to improve the quality tremendously without taking longer. In fact, I think I have decreased the time somewhat.

Nice job.

I'll be curious to see if you can shave with the feather on a regular basis. For me, the first feather shave was top notch, but when I tried it for 3 or 4 shaves in a row, the sharpness "caught up with me" and left me irritated. I hope you fare better.

Nice job.

I'll be curious to see if you can shave with the feather on a regular basis. For me, the first feather shave was top notch, but when I tried it for 3 or 4 shaves in a row, the sharpness "caught up with me" and left me irritated. I hope you fare better.

Strange, the first shave of a new feather is where Im most likely to have a hiccup, into hte 2nd and 3d it smooths out nicely up until about the 5th or 6th shave where its time to change out.

"I'll be curious to see if you can shave with the feather on a regular basis. For me, the first feather shave was top notch, but when I tried it for 3 or 4 shaves in a row, the sharpness "caught up with me" and left me irritated. I hope you fare better."

Odd ... that's similar to my experience. It felt like the skin was OK, but the whiskers were sensitive! If that makes any sense.

Welcome to the world of feather shaving. You will never go back as long as you maintain a light stroke and don't irritate your face with the very sharp blade.

I like the Feathers. Less passes = less irritation for me. Just have to watch for the nicks with the Feathers.

Welcome to the world of feather shaving. You will never go back as long as you maintain a light stroke and don't irritate your face with the very sharp blade.

+1. I started changing blades after every 4 shaves, but I am now getting 5/6 shaves out of them!

I can already see how Feathers are rougher on the skin. although somehow I have not drawn much blood - only the smallest couple of microdots.

I will likely go back to my Derbys, Israeli Personnas, and Merkurs. I may also try these 7 O'Clock blades I keep hearing about.

Feathers are, without a doubt, the sharpest blade available. But I ask these questions: is it worth it to use them? Does it achieve something that you can't get with other blades? And does 'sharper' mean 'better'?

I hate to say it but the answer to all 3 of these questions might be NO.

Nice job.

I've been shaving exclusively with feathers for a couple of months straight now. No worries here (YMMV)
Yep. No other blade will suffice for me either.
I can already see how Feathers are rougher on

Feathers are, without a doubt, the sharpest blade available. <snip> But I ask these questions: is it worth it to use them? Does it achieve something that you can't get with other blades? And does 'sharper' mean 'better'?

I hate to say it but the answer to all 3 of these questions might be NO.

1. Its worth it.
2. Yes its the only blade I can use for over 3 shaves (usually go a week with these w/o issues).
3. No idea if sharper means better but for me Feathers do the job that other blades can't!

Top Bottom