What's new

And so it begins…

B

B&B Mike 2008

This is my first post here after looking around for quite a while. You guys have a great site! I’m about to transition from my disposable and (‘gasp!’) electric shaving to using a straight, but I’m trying to do it on a student’s budget. Basically, I’m looking to go cheep with everything *except* the actual razor for now.

So, that leads me to my main question – would going with a Carl Rader straight be too low end compared to the Dovo ‘special’ I’ve been looking at? I haven’t been able to find any reviews on the Rader at all, good or bad… What do you guys think? (It’s a 4/8, which is what I’d prefer… I think)

Thanks!

Welcome. A straight takes quite a bit of investment (time and money.) Whilst you are waiting to invest in the actual razor, do start with a DE razor instead of your disposable. You are sure to get some good answers to your questions for other gents here.

Mike --

Welcome to B&B!!

The good Doctor is right, you can enter wet shaving in phases while you gather a straight razor kit. A logical first step is getting/using a traditional shaving cream/soap and a shave brush. Then moving to a DE Safety razor. Then acquiring a couple of straights along with hones, strops, etc.

Here is a stickied thread that has links to a number of instructional postings and tutorials; these are a great starting point and you should read through them. They contain a lot of information that will answer many questions you will have. Also, make sure that you view Mantic's shaving videos that he has posted on the net at YouTube.

-- John Gehman

Welcome to B&B. I too, wanted to start with a straight but decided to first try a DE. That was back in December and I am just fine with my DE's now. I still want to try the straight out but there is no rush. And DE is much cheaper. Good luck either route you take. I know you will enjoy.

View attachment 28279View attachment 28280

Welcome. Good advice above. Shaving with a straight requires an initial outlay of cash and you don't want to skimp IMO. We're talking about your face here. Dumping the electric is your first good move. Get a quality soap and brush first and go from there. Good luck.

Top Bottom