What's new

Cleaning And Sanitizing A Razor

Can anyone give me some tips on cleaning, sanitizing and lubricating a vintage (used} razor? I recently bought a Gillette Aristocrat, the adjustable model. I would like to clean it, but don't want to do anything that could cause damage. I don't know if the gold colored razors need special care, but I would not know how to safely clean the silver colored razors either. Any one who has experience with this would do me a great favor by sharing what they have learned. Thanks a lot guys, Jack

for gold colored razors, avoid boiling them or using bleach to sanitize them as both are excellent ways to ruin the finish.

for surface dirt & soap scum: scrubbing bubbles

for safe sanitizing: barbicide in correct ratio (2oz. of barbicide to 32oz water) for 10-20 minutes

for lubrication: i like mineral oil. it's safe, natural and does an excellent job

hope this helps!

for gold colored razors, avoid boiling them or using bleach to sanitize them as both are excellent ways to ruin the finish.

for surface dirt & soap scum: scrubbing bubbles

for safe sanitizing: barbicide in correct ratio (2oz. of barbicide to 32oz water) for 10-20 minutes

for lubrication: i like mineral oil. it's safe, natural and does an excellent job

hope this helps!

Simple and to the point, Well said....:thumbup:

And if you want to go beyond simple, check out the pinned thread in the Safety Razor forum on cleaning razors.

Top Bottom