What's new

Where did you buy your Alum block from?

I only ask because I see pricey blocks of alum being sold everywhere, ranging anywhere from $8 to $18, even though many Indian grocers sell alum blocks on the cheap (mine was $2). Also, I believe crystal deodorant is also comprised of alum, and I bought a small stick for around $3 from Wholefoods. Why do so many shaving brands get away with highway robbery and has anyone here bought one of the more pricey ones?

Yes, if you order from Tulumba you are obligated to get more than one alum block and more than one Arko shave stick, just so you justify shipping :tongue:

I don't really worry about the cost; over the course of several years, it's just not significant. Got mine for $10 at Classicshaving.com because Mama Bear's site says she's out. The crystal deodorants are usually Ammonium Aluminate instead of Potassium Aluminate. Some people say those are more irritating, so I got a "real" one, even if it did cost a little more.

My cheapie block came from a local Indian grocery, and my cosmetically prettier block came from one of the B&B-usual-suspects web retailer, but I can't recall which.

Alum blocks are available in every drugstore in The Netherlands for about € 2. Mostly De Vergulde Hand brand.

UM --

Try this. While you're at it, consider a couple of these, and take a look at their toiletries page. They have excellent service, ship promptly. Ordering from their web page works fine.

HTH.

-- John Gehman

I got the IHA block as well, but from Amazon. I recently saw a cheap block on the Appleton Barber Supply site that, at least from the picture, appeared to be much bigger for not much more cost. The picture may have just been decieving to me though.

http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=396

Top Bottom