What's new

Replacing Scales...Need Advice.

Hey guys, I recently picked up a nice swayback W&B that cleaned up really well, but it has some warped scales. I'm looking to replace them with some good looking horn or wood scales without breaking the bank.

I've come across a couple of tutorials on making your own scales, and I definitely plan to do that at some point, but for now I'm just interested in getting some ready-made ones.

I noticed Vintageblades has some decent looking horn scales for around $40, which seems about the right price...

Do you guys have any advice about where else I could look for pre-made scales? Also, where's a good place to pick up pins, etc..?

Thanks for the help!

The blade is a 5/8 barber's notch, by the way.

Classic shaving sells Dovo Scales if they are in stock. You could check the BST here. I know on SRP there are several guys who make scales to order.

What exactly is suggested for using as new pins?

If you do use a screw of some sort, do you need to use a bushing?

(this is comming from a guy who uses epoxy or full size rivets to assemble his knife handles)

What exactly is suggested for using as new pins?

If you do use a screw of some sort, do you need to use a bushing?

(this is comming from a guy who uses epoxy or full size rivets to assemble his knife handles)

I, and many others, use 1/16 brass rod and #0 brass washers from my local model train shop. Cut them about 1/16 past the scale and peen them with a small ball/peen hammer.

Top Bottom