What's new

Talcum Powder

I would like to know whether members conclude their shaving by spraying some talcum powder onto their face? This is, for instance, Alain's, the French Maître barbier, last shaving step.
I have found out that Penhaligon's has some talcum powder variants of their fragrances.
Blenheim Bouquet :001_wub:

One shall give a chance to Borotalco Roberts, a talcum powder -created in 1843- that comes from Florence, Italy, just like Proraso.

As I am interested in trying this method, I would really appreciate any member's feedback on it.

Tiebreaker question:
I am looking for a barber type talcum powder spray (see attached picture). It has been pretty hard to find; I have seen it only one time on eBay and it went for a quite high price. Do you know any online shop where I can order a similar spray?

I am hasty to try the Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose talcum powder. Firstly because I really appreciate the rose scent, and then because talcum powder is great for the skin; it mattifies and freshens the body and, when applied cautiously, gives the skin a beautiful iridescent tinting.

I have found out that a rectal bulb syringe may be an excellent tool to spray talcum powder :blink: I guess this will be my temporary fix until I can grab a vintage barber spray...

Maybe this a dumb question but does the powder clog your pores? I've seen the cheap stuff at the drug store and always wondered about it.

Maybe this a dumb question but does the powder clog your pores? I've seen the cheap stuff at the drug store and always wondered about it.

I have not had such problem. Talc is a great way to finish a shave. Bro. John's method of application works for me:

Old piece of flannel/hankie
Sprinkle talc into flannel.
Fold.
Pat face.
Every couple of weeks I recharge the flannel.

:thumbup1:

I have found out that a rectal bulb syringe may be an excellent tool to spray talcum powder :blink: I guess this will be my temporary fix until I can grab a vintage barber spray...

Just how, pray tell, did you ascertain this particular tidbit of information...

I have not had such problem. Talc is a great way to finish a shave. Bro. John's method of application works for me:

Old piece of flannel/hankie
Sprinkle talc into flannel.
Fold.
Pat face.
Every couple of weeks I recharge the flannel.

:thumbup1:

I think I prefer this method to the rectal bulb syringe. The whole rectal implement issue aside, I think this is a better way to provide a very light dusting of talc.

You could also use a barber's duster.

Oh yeah, the Borotalco is nice stuff - you can often find it for reasonable prices at Italian groceries.

What kind of scent does the Borotalco have?
I'm regretting not picking up some Penhaligon's talc when I was in London last month.

I like the feeling of talc after a shave, or to relieve sweat and heat irritation in other places, but I'm not too keen on, and my girlfriend vehemently dislikes the scent of "baby powder"

I would like to know whether members conclude their shaving by spraying some talcum powder onto their face? This is, for instance, Alain's, the French Maître barbier, last shaving step.

the sad part is that his blurb states that he is he sole remaining master barber in Paris. Ah, how the mighty have fallen! He offers to train students, but I'm not certain how many are flocking to his place.

I found some Pinaud Clubman talcum powder at a dollar store recently and bought all 4 that were on the shelf.

As far as application, I just sprinkle a little into my hand and rub on like an aftershave and then pat my face with a towel to remove excess and that works fine.

I've heard about health concerns regarding breathing talcum powder so I don't know how recommended a sprayer would be. If anything I would use a barbers talcum dispensing neck brush perhaps...

https://virtualtechsecure.com/appletonbarbersupply/store/shopexd.asp?id=717

btw, clubman powder and many other great products can be found at that link for a great price as well.

Talcum powder is excellent for all types of skin and in a lot of situations; I discovered its properties when I used to make wax depilation. The wax was sometimes, on a very sensitive skin as I have, very hot; after such a treatment my poor skin was burned, dry and reddish. To put talcum powder on the skin was the best way to soothe the skin. Since this discovery, I use talcum powder in many situations : it helps the skin to reduce the excess of sweat, especially when the weather is quite hot, it grows pale very lightly the skin (I hate excessive tanned skin and as far as I am concerned the paler the skin is the more beautiful it is), it protects the sensitive skin and it helps the oily skin to look better as it naturally mattifies the skin.

The main thing to respect is to be reasonable with the dosage; if you put too much talcum powder on your face, for example, it will probably not appreciate at all.

I dumped a bunch of Clubman into two (clean) socks and tied the end... Then pat it on my skin.... its great in hot weather.

Just how, pray tell, did you ascertain this particular tidbit of information...

I read it on a wetshaver's French forum :lol: It seemed that barbers did use a kind of talcum powder spray looking like a rectal bulb syringe. Some talcum powder was put on the neck and scruff before removing the freshly cut hair with a duster. I guess the idea came from here...

I will give up the rectal bulb syringe idea; SmoovD's method shall be classier.

I found some Pinaud Clubman talcum powder at a dollar store recently and bought all 4 that were on the shelf.

As far as application, I just sprinkle a little into my hand and rub on like an aftershave and then pat my face with a towel to remove excess and that works fine.

I've heard about health concerns regarding breathing talcum powder so I don't know how recommended a sprayer would be. If anything I would use a barbers talcum dispensing neck brush perhaps...

https://virtualtechsecure.com/appletonbarbersupply/store/shopexd.asp?id=717

btw, clubman powder and many other great products can be found at that link for a great price as well.

FYI: I was in Sallys Beauty Supply yesterday and they carry Pinaud Talc. Just in case anybody is having a hard time finding it elsewhere. I have some Gold Bonds in my cabinet, but I really only use it "down there" on days when I'm chaffing. I'll stop right there for etiquettes sake.

Top Bottom