Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Do Balms and Lotions make you sweat more than usual?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    640

    Question Do Balms and Lotions make you sweat more than usual?

    It seems like any time I wear an A/S Balm or Lotion Or Any type of lotion for that matter, I sweat more profusely than normal. I have a shaved head, so it can be pretty noticeable.

    Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

    I haven't really done enough conscious experimentation to be able to say if splashes are different or not. I ordered some booster aftershave splashes but haven't tried them out yet. Hopefully they are better. I'm tired of looking like I'm about to have a stroke while I'm at work.

    -Eric

    Edit: In case it wasn't obvious, I'm talking about sweating from my head and face (anywhere the balm/lotion was applied) not body and underarm sweating
    Last edited by eric.huntley; 08-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    2,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric.huntley View Post
    It seems like any time I wear an A/S Balm or Lotion Or Any type of lotion for that matter, I sweat more profusely than normal. I have a shaved head, so it can be pretty noticeable.

    Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

    I haven't really done enough conscious experimentation to be able to say if splashes are different or not. I ordered some booster aftershave splashes but haven't tried them out yet. Hopefully they are better. I'm tired of looking like I'm about to have a stroke while I'm at work.

    -Eric
    It's just you.
    -Shep abides :cool:

    That rug really tied the room together.

    [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58275"]For the New Guys[/URL]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    640
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    It's just you.
    Dang... That's what I was afraid of...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Maybe your just slightly allergic to the balms.
    I'am allergic to several balms and they make me sweat plus
    it looks like I have one heck of a sun burn.

    Hydrocortisone Cream is my friend.
    I also use booster and no problems

    Just a thought
    "Klaatu barada nikto" A Friend of Bill W '92

  5. #5

    Default

    No it's not just you!

    I tend to follow most balms with an aftershave splash once the balm has worked its way in. i have noticed that when i don't my head tends to sweat more profusely than normal. Most times I can actually get away with not putting anything onto my head due to my oily skin.


    marty
    Ookla... Ariel.....RIDE!!!!

    "Noble Knight of the Veg Table"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's Lab
    Posts
    5,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htownmmm View Post
    No it's not just you!

    I tend to follow most balms with an aftershave splash once the balm has worked its way in. i have noticed that when i don't my head tends to sweat more profusely than normal. Most times I can actually get away with not putting anything onto my head due to my oily skin.


    marty
    he is trying to assimilate you. beware.
    YMMV? I don't think so.
    Minister of Fuzziness and Science Adviser to the Cheddar Czardom

    Wish list: Enchante lime peppermint skin conditioner
    :batman:+ un:cool:= Ray

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    he is trying to assimilate you. beware.


    marty
    Ookla... Ariel.....RIDE!!!!

    "Noble Knight of the Veg Table"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,187
    Images
    77

    Default

    You're not the only one!

    During warmer months, I've found that I can only use aftershave splashes on my face...if I use balms or lotions, my skin gets greasy and I sweat like Robin Williams on stage.

    If I get a little neck irritation after a shave, I use some TGR unscented balm--but never on the face.

    I've found many splashes that work well, moisturize, and protect after shaving--without making me sweat profusely or have greasy skin. Some of my favorites are Pinaud Clubman, Proraso, Alt-Innsbruck, and Floid Blue.

    Good luck!
    __________________

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,794
    Images
    35

    Default

    No, you're not alone. If I use balms when it's warm, I start sweating almost immediately. I'm strictly a splash guy 8-9 months out of the year.
    Scott

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    If it has glycerin in it, that could be why.
    Irena,

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric.huntley View Post
    It seems like any time I wear an A/S Balm or Lotion Or Any type of lotion for that matter, I sweat more profusely than normal. I have a shaved head, so it can be pretty noticeable.

    Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

    I haven't really done enough conscious experimentation to be able to say if splashes are different or not. I ordered some booster aftershave splashes but haven't tried them out yet. Hopefully they are better. I'm tired of looking like I'm about to have a stroke while I'm at work.

    -Eric

    Edit: In case it wasn't obvious, I'm talking about sweating from my head and face (anywhere the balm/lotion was applied) not body and underarm sweating
    YES! and it sucks!
    In general, I only use balms Dec-Feb, when the air is cool and dry. I've had good luck with Trumper's Skin Food (Extract of Limes especially) or St Charles Shave Bay Rum With a Twist Aftershave Milk when I need a little extra conditioning in the warm weather. I sometimes use the Neutragena balm with sunscreen in it. It's not as bad as most of the balms.
    I shave at night so it's not as big a deal for me as for someone who shaves in the morning and spends the day outside.
    Two good aftershave splashes that moisturize well but don't make you sweat like a whore in church:
    Proraso Splash (though I've heard it's getting hard to find)
    St Charles Shave Mediterranean Citrus Splash (I highly recommend this one)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    640
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm a bartender and sometimes I do catering work and have to work outside. I also have to dress fairly formally and shave before work so it can be particularly uncomfortable to be wearing formal attire and sweating like mad while trying to make drinks for 2 dozen people. even things like sunblock seem to make me sweat more, it's almost like the lotion saturates my skin and doesn't allow the sweat to absorb at all? I'm fairly certain it's no form of allergy, since it's not accompanied by any sort of redness, hives, or other discomfort and there doesn't seem to be any constant ingredient that brings it about. I also wouldn't say I have any sort of "sensitive" skin. Even harsh chemicals like Toluene and Acetone don't seem to get much of a reaction out of me.

  13. #13

    Default

    I experience the same thing..... I think the lotions clog the pores(?????????) I have stopped using lotion and instead use jojoba oil 20min after the AS

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric.huntley View Post
    Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm a bartender and sometimes I do catering work and have to work outside. I also have to dress fairly formally and shave before work so it can be particularly uncomfortable to be wearing formal attire and sweating like mad while trying to make drinks for 2 dozen people. even things like sunblock seem to make me sweat more, it's almost like the lotion saturates my skin and doesn't allow the sweat to absorb at all? I'm fairly certain it's no form of allergy, since it's not accompanied by any sort of redness, hives, or other discomfort and there doesn't seem to be any constant ingredient that brings it about. I also wouldn't say I have any sort of "sensitive" skin. Even harsh chemicals like Toluene and Acetone don't seem to get much of a reaction out of me.
    Toluene

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Lotions should not clog pores unless they are made with mineral oil. Mineral oil sits on the skin's surface and acts as a skin barrier.
    Jojoba is technically a plant wax, not an oil, so that is a good choice.
    Irena,

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Maybe your just slightly allergic to the balms.
    I'am allergic to several balms and they make me sweat plus
    it looks like I have one heck of a sun burn.

    Hydrocortisone Cream is my friend.
    I also use booster and no problems

    Just a thought
    be careful with the use of hydrocortisone, it shouldnt be used for long time periods. i would say not for more then a month at a time, two weeks or less is best
    -ed-

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric.huntley View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?
    Happens to me... Not with Osage Rub, of course!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I too suffer from the 'sweats'. I drive to work and just walking a few flights of stairs to the ofice makes me look like I've just been punk'd with a bucket of water. It's like I have a plastic bag over my head and am fighting for air. I think the DR Harris lotion coupled with the Kiels leave-in hair conditioner is a double whammy.

    One of those hand-held little battery operated fans may be useful .

    I must check out the jojoba. Thanks for the tip.


    Paul

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I'm a pretty sweaty person in general but musgo real balm doesn't make me more sweaty... that's the only one I've used enough to feel sure about it.

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about after shave lotions / balms
    By Hank in forum Aftershaves
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
  2. Anyone know what make AS balms creamy?
    By Dougger in forum Aftershaves
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM
  3. Does Trumper make any AS balms other than skinfoods?
    By bnndx2 in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
  4. Politics not as usual
    By Slingblade in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 01:50 PM
  5. Spring Cleaning Sale, Pt. I Creams, Soaps, Lotions & Balms
    By rmedtr6 in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 04:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.