What's new

Hi-res photos of DE blades

I have access to a variety of hi-res cameras at work. Just out of curiousity, I decided to take 6 DE blades that I have and grab a few photos. It was a little difficult to get clear photos from the same perspective due to different angles. The setting on the camera was +240, so I'm guessing 240x magnification? Well, here they are.

Derby Extra
full

Feather Platinum
full

Gillette Platinum (Swedish)
full

Israeli Platinum
full

Merkur Super Platinum
full

Wilkinson Sword (white)
full

Side by side
full

Side by side (closeup)
full

If anyone wants the close to 6000 pixel wide master file, let me know and I'll email it to you. It's less than a meg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin said:
John, what does all this mean?

Uh...bored at work?

I guess I didn't draw any conclusions because I'm not sure either. Maybe people are interested in what they're putting on their face. I'd like to go back and try another camera setup to see if I can get some better photos. Maybe I can convince the guys in inspection to let me use the X-ray.

letterk said:
Uh...bored at work?

I guess I didn't draw any conclusions because I'm not sure either. Maybe people are interested in what they're putting on their face. I'd like to go back and try another camera setup to see if I can get some better photos. Maybe I can convince the guys in inspection to let me use the X-ray.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was being dense.

Just like a straight razor, DE blades do have a bevel. Where pictures change to the "lighter" color is the beveled area. The lines are striations from the sharpening process. It's interesting seeing the DE blades, as with straight razors, I have always seen the striations at an angle, due to the X-pattern used when honing.

HERE is a thread from SER that might help you better understand what you are seeing.

Randy

Wow! I must admit the pic of the Merkur edge is terrifying. Do you really want to put that next to your face when you can see the pics of the other blades?

OK, so the Merkur photo is probably the worst of the 6. It had something weird going on with the blade tip and I kept getting chromatic aberations, which is mostly what you see there (that and it's a tad out of focus). I may go back and try to get a better shot.

A ha! All is explained! :rolleyes: Seriously, though, these are interesting photos. If I remember correctly, there was a similar thread some time ago, and it raised all sorts of interesting speculation.

Nice work John! I have been wondering about this for a while -now all we need is some one with access to an electron microscope! :biggrin:

Goosemeplease said:
Nice work John! I have been wondering about this for a while -now all we need is some one with access to an electron microscope! :biggrin:

Heh, that's a great idea. I have access to a SEM, now all I have to do is get one of each blade type. :biggrin:

There must be something wrong with my eyes, but I cant see details of the edges at all, the edges are very indistinct in the photo's,
all that I can deduce so far is.
1) Some manufacturers use a 3, some 2, some 1 pass sharpening system
2) Some of the edges are chisel angle points.
3) Some have very shallow ground edges.

Can't see the properties of the actual cutting edge on any of them.

Top Bottom