What's new

first safety razor shave...surprised

I bought a gillette safety razor recently for cheap. It's NOT one of the ones that has 1-9 adjustment. I bought it mostly because I have a thick beard, I have to shave at least once a day, and I'm tired of paying for Mach III blades. Additionally, I like sharp things.

The experience was not at all like I had anticipated.

I really expected there to be more of a 'blade on skin' feeling. In other words, if the handle was attached directly to the blade (and the blade was stiffer), that's what I expected. If that was the case, there would be nothing in the way of the blade. Of course, that wouldn't be very 'safe' but i don't care. As it is, I don't understand why they ruined the razor by putting those guards on it that stick out past the edge. I didn't feel the blade against my skin, but rather those guards, which were pushing down the hair and shaving cream before the blade got to it. And I had a hard time getting the exact right angle that would let the blade actually touch my skin. I was forced to wonder if the blades i got were too short/skinny and thus weren't sticking out as much as they should. But, I'm sure they were fine.

So basically, it was much fiddlier and much less exciting/satisfying/efficient than I thought it would be.

I have shaved with small folding pocket knives before, and that blade-on-skin, no guard/plastic/'lubricating strip'/etc passing over the hair in front of the raw edge, hair-popping shave is what I was after. I don't really want to use a straight razor because of the sharpening and all, and the razors are expensive...see the part about saving money. It really seems like the safety razor format could work, but maybe I'm just not doing it right. Perhaps I should buy a 1-9 adjustable one, and turn the guards all the way back? Or am i just being weird?

Any adjustable set on 9 should render a fairly close shave :eek: if you want to remove a layer of skin. The advantage of the adjustable is you can adjust and find whats right for you. (would not try 9 right off the bat)

Any adjustable set on 9 should render a fairly close shave :eek: if you want to remove a layer of skin. The advantage of the adjustable is you can adjust and find whats right for you. (would not try 9 right off the bat)

I tried 9 and didn't get as close a shave as I do with the Slant.

First, welcome to B&B!

I don't think you are weird, although that's not what I am seeking. You might like the shavette and similar razors, which are used like a straight but hold a half-DE blade as the edge. No stropping, honing, etc., but the blade-on-skin you are looking for.

Good hunting!

I was using Wilkinson Sword blades.

The shavette looks pretty cool, and it's not too expensive either, and the blades are just as cheap. I'll look into it, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to hold a straight razor and all...it looks a bit different.

Since I didn't spend much for this razor, maybe I'll see what I can do about modifying it...I have a bench sander and I'm not afraid to use it....

Or try a pre WWII Gillette open comb razor. I find the are a bit more agressive. You can pick up an open comb Gillette for just a few dollars on the Bay.

Since you are a newbie, I'll PIF you a less than beautiful but serviceable open comb razor. PM me if you are interested.

Are you sure your adjustable is working properly? I had an adjustable that seemed to work fine but in fact it didn't adjust the spacing between the blade and safety bar. So basically it always stayed at setting 1. I have always blamed the lame duck then I found out here that I was wrong. If setting 9 won't give you a close shave, check closely.

I tried 9 and didn't get as close a shave as I do with the Slant.

I bought a gillette safety razor recently for cheap. It's NOT one of the ones that has 1-9 adjustment. I bought it mostly because I have a thick beard, I have to shave at least once a day, and I'm tired of paying for Mach III blades. Additionally, I like sharp things.

The experience was not at all like I had anticipated.

I really expected there to be more of a 'blade on skin' feeling. In other words, if the handle was attached directly to the blade (and the blade was stiffer), that's what I expected. If that was the case, there would be nothing in the way of the blade. Of course, that wouldn't be very 'safe' but i don't care. As it is, I don't understand why they ruined the razor by putting those guards on it that stick out past the edge. I didn't feel the blade against my skin, but rather those guards, which were pushing down the hair and shaving cream before the blade got to it. And I had a hard time getting the exact right angle that would let the blade actually touch my skin. I was forced to wonder if the blades i got were too short/skinny and thus weren't sticking out as much as they should. But, I'm sure they were fine.

So basically, it was much fiddlier and much less exciting/satisfying/efficient than I thought it would be.

I have shaved with small folding pocket knives before, and that blade-on-skin, no guard/plastic/'lubricating strip'/etc passing over the hair in front of the raw edge, hair-popping shave is what I was after. I don't really want to use a straight razor because of the sharpening and all, and the razors are expensive...see the part about saving money. It really seems like the safety razor format could work, but maybe I'm just not doing it right. Perhaps I should buy a 1-9 adjustable one, and turn the guards all the way back? Or am i just being weird?

Sounds like you're a straight shaver in the making. Vintage straights aren't that expensive, and honing is really quite pleasant once you get the hang of it.
By all means try the adjustable, or maybe a Sanguine shavette, but I bet you end up with a straight (or two, or three...).

Welcome to B&B

Graham

Welcome. Sounds like you should be in the market for a straight razor. Although I don't think any straight razor will give you the feeling of shaving with a pocket knife (nor should it :eek::eek:). But you will get the "manly" macho feeling of exquisitely sharp edge against skin, if that's your thing, plus it's "notionally" cheaper than DE razors as you buy the razor, strop, and hone and your set for life without needing to purchase anything further (yeah right like that happens when you get hooked.:w00t::w00t::lol:)

Are you sure your adjustable is working properly? I had an adjustable that seemed to work fine but in fact it didn't adjust the spacing between the blade and safety bar. So basically it always stayed at setting 1. I have always blamed the lame duck then I found out here that I was wrong. If setting 9 won't give you a close shave, check closely.

I don't have an adjustable razor, I'm not sure what the razor I have is. On the top inside it says Pat. Nos. on Pkg. and on the bottom it says (e) Reg us Pat Off (4), gillette made in usa.

That does sound like a blade angle problem to me. I'd echo the Shavette suggestion. Actually the blades are half as expensive since you snap them in half.

I bought a gillette safety razor recently for cheap. It's NOT one of the ones that has 1-9 adjustment. ... no guard/plastic/'lubricating strip'/etc passing over the hair in front of the raw edge, hair-popping shave is what I was after.

Sounds to me like your gillette is probably a SuperSpeed? They are probably the MILDEST DE you can buy. I don't have a thick beard and actually gave my all of my SS's away simply because they were just way too mild for me.

If you're looking for that absolute blade to razor feel a straight will no doubt make you happier, but the closest thing I've found is my Vision... It's big with a lot of weight, but with the right blade you can literally hear each and every hair as it pops off.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Someone should make a Spinal Tap razor that goes up to 11.

Sounds like you're a straight shaver in the making. Vintage straights aren't that expensive, and honing is really quite pleasant once you get the hang of it.
By all means try the adjustable, or maybe a Sanguine shavette, but I bet you end up with a straight (or two, or three...).

Welcome to B&B

Graham

Welcome. Sounds like you should be in the market for a straight razor. Although I don't think any straight razor will give you the feeling of shaving with a pocket knife (nor should it :eek::eek:). But you will get the "manly" macho feeling of exquisitely sharp edge against skin, if that's your thing, plus it's "notionally" cheaper than DE razors as you buy the razor, strop, and hone and your set for life without needing to purchase anything further (yeah right like that happens when you get hooked.:w00t::w00t::lol:)

Straights are the only way to go if you yearn for that blade on skin feel.

marty

Top Bottom