What's new

Nick . . knick . . . nock

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
OK DE folks I've got to ask a question . . . In so many posts people have mentioned nicking themselves for various and assorted reasons. I'm trying to understand what this blood sport is all about. I learned to shave with a DE in the early 70's . . . Dad said . . .go to it . . . ok I watched him from the age of 3 . . . One time, maybe my 3rd shave . . . I let the razor drift sideways . . and had a 2 or 3 inch very shallow slice on my cheek that left no scar . . . scarred the dickens out of me.

I guess I shaved with a DE for a few more years and then went with the track two thing . . . and now having great fun back to basics . . .

Since I sliced myself on my 3rd shave in 1973 I have not once nicked my face . . . I don't think I'm bragging . . . how does this blood letting happen?

OK DE folks I've got to ask a question . . . In so many posts people have mentioned nicking themselves for various and assorted reasons. I'm trying to understand what this blood sport is all about. I learned to shave with a DE in the early 70's . . . Dad said . . .go to it . . . ok I watched him from the age of 3 . . . One time, maybe my 3rd shave . . . I let the razor drift sideways . . and had a 2 or 3 inch very shallow slice on my cheek that left no scar . . . scarred the dickens out of me.

I guess I shaved with a DE for a few more years and then went with the track two thing . . . and now having great fun back to basics . . .

Since I sliced myself on my 3rd shave in 1973 I have not once nicked my face . . . I don't think I'm bragging . . . how does this blood letting happen?

LOL I think its kind of like putting your hand on a hot stove .... Once you do it you learn your lesson! I know every time I let some of my blood I learn my lesson!! :w00t:

The only blood I've let so far with a DE was from inadvertently shaving off an ingrown hair, but I've worn a moustache ever since burying a Trac II cartridge in my upper lip 30 years ago! :yikes:

NANP™

Cut myself slightly the other day (1/4 incher) and it was all my fault. Things have been going well, in the shaving sense, and I just got a little cocky. Tried to turn my head to talk with my wife and shave at the same time. Not a good thing to do. Pay attention!

I think a lot of it just depends on the persons skin. I have never cut or nicked myself with a DE... I did catch the top of my lip one time years ago with a mach3. One guy I know ends up almost every day with nicks all over his face. I guess his skin is just much easier to cut than mine.

Several of us at work are DE or straight shavers and the conclusion that we came to was that the single biggest cause of cuts and nicks is loss of situational awareness.
Kind of like the mason and the barrel of bricks story. Number two on our list was tired blades - trying to get one last shave out of a blade is usually a bad idea. Purchased in bulk you're talking about saving 10 - 50 cents, and even the real expensive blades. Putting your face on the line for the pittance that a blade costs is just dumb. I expect that most of us have spent more on the razor (Futur:001_rolle cough, cough; Vintage Gillette:blushing:), soaps, pre-shave, post-shave, scuttles:lol: and other stuff. Also if you've been shaving for a week or two you've probably learned the signs of a tired blade - pulling, dragging, skips, etc. So just change the blade.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Cut myself slightly the other day (1/4 incher) and it was all my fault. Things have been going well, in the shaving sense, and I just got a little cocky. Tried to turn my head to talk with my wife and shave at the same time. Not a good thing to do. Pay attention!
ha see you are a lucky man . . . my wife let me get the insurance application done before . . . . never mind

All the blood has been coming from bumps and ingrown hairs around my neck...

I can say that it will take me a bit longer to perfect my technique. I am getting great reviews from the New Times and the wife... She says: your face is starting to clear up from all the bumps ingrown hairs....

in the last week I have nick myself bout 2 maybe 3 times passing over ingrown hairs or minor scabs around the neck...

I think that with a little more time I will stop dispensing blood... :biggrin:

All the blood has been coming from bumps and ingrown hairs around my neck...

I can say that it will take me a bit longer to perfect my technique. I am getting great reviews from the New Times and the wife... She says: your face is starting to clear up from all the bumps ingrown hairs....

in the last week I have nick myself bout 2 maybe 3 times passing over ingrown hairs or minor scabs around the neck...

I think that with a little more time I will stop dispensing blood... :biggrin:

Same here. Face and jawline are BBS most days with nary a nick, but the neck is a different story. It's not that I slice myself, but that I've got ingrowns and tiny bumps getting caught by the blade. Each nick is a tiny pinprick of blood that closes with cold water generally.

I've been using an anti-bump/ingrown hair product for the last week or so, plus I've been moving more deliberately in that area so that the pressure stays light. I'm actually taking the next few days off from shaving entirely to let my neck get right again.

-Corey

I'm pretty sure it's a ritualistic thing for my by now. If I don't nick myself once every few weeks I suffer the wrath at the hands of the blade gods, so a little blood letting occasionally keeps them at bay.

All joking aside, like others when using a DE if/when I nick myself it's allowing my mind to wander or not paying attention that causes it.

user error ... usually related to trying to rush or being complacent/distracted ... thankfully not happening anymore ... i think :huh:.

Top Bottom