What's new

Another addiction on its way...

I have been using a brush and shaving soaps for several years now. Simply happened upon a brush and soap in, I think, The Body Shop at the mall when I was 18 or so and thought it was a novel idea. Plus, I never really liked the overly fake menthol zing of most out of the can shaving creams.

Over time I have gathered a little collection of shaving soaps and my folks bought me a Taylor of Old Bond Street imitation badger brush on a trip to London. I always thought the next step would be finding myself a nice vintage razor to shave with (been using a Mach3).

Got on-line, started looking around, and came upon the world of safety razors, all these blogs, people's reviews...etc.... Uh-oh! I knew another addiction was on the way!!!

I have been furiously reading reviews and trying to decide what will be my first double edge razor. I have now officially gotten myself stalled with indecision!

So, just wanted to say "Hello" and commiserate about another new addiction... :001_rolle

(FYI - I think I am going to grab a Merkur HD and keep my eyes open for an old Gillette Tech and/or Super Speed. Plus, I love the Blue Star Lady Gillettes. Looks like I am going to drag my girlfriend down with me!)

Oh, just thought of one other tidbit I thought I would add:
I started using a Tea Tree/Vitamin E oil combo for a cold sore I had a while back. After that passed I got used to using a splash of this as an aftershave. Just a dab on my wet hands rubbed onto my face is GREAT! I no have to special order it since my local store only sometimes carries it. Sure there are other brands out there, but I think the one I use is called "Derma-e Tea tree vitamin E oil".

And thanks Gabriel, noticed the buy/sell/trade forum, I'll have to check it out!

My advice for what it is worth is to go straight to the Top.
Buy a Merkur Vision.
I have used several DE razors and this one is the best.
Sure it costs more than a Merkur Hd but you will eventually want one so you might as well buy it now!
Seriously people dont recommend it as a good starter razor but i cannot for the life of me think why?. It is totally adjustable so you can start with the first setting which is far from scary than advance over time to the Samuri sword level which will give you a Great shave.
I have recommended these to several friends who will now never go back to poxy Fusion/ Gillete mach 7 shaving ever again.

Steve M - I'm guessing this is probably true, the latest and greatest always sounds nice. I guess I kind of like to earn my knocks though (maybe I'll eat my words). Also like the idea of starting out with what worked for folks for decades.
If nothing else maybe using lower quality razor while I am learning will make me appreciate the Vision that much more when I finally get myself one.

Thanks everyone.
I just had a shave tonight (still using my Mach3 for now) but used some of the new techniques I have seen for getting a good lather - I was amazed at the difference! I'm getting excited.

DunEdinRanger -
Was going to order one of the Blade Sampler Paks from West Coast Shavng. I have inquired about a couple of razors in the BST forum. Shaving should be a bit of an adventure for a while...!

Welcome aboard. I am sure one of these fine gents can offer you a SS or a Slim Adjustable for a decent price or even free if you are luck. Good luck.

Thanks guys.
I think I have a 40's SS and a Tech lined up to try out. Guess I can now go ahead with grabbing some blades to try out.

Lefty - is there a 'beggers' forum? :) Never really know how to ask for something for free. Is there decorum in regards to this on the forums?

*Guess I just need to try -
Anybody have some blades left over from a sample pack they are willing to share with a newbie? Indulge your sadism by seeing a newbie flail around with a variety of blades! :)

Welcome to the incredibly fun world of DE shaving. The HD is a great razor, I use it almost daily myself. When I'm not using my Merkur HD, I'll switch to my 1958 Gelette fatboy. Both are top notch items you should try out.

But be warned, collecting safety razors can become an obsession that may annoy your girlfriend. :lol:

Top Bottom