What's new

Japanese cooking knives

Question for the cooks out there. Has ayone used a MAC knife? They are made in Japan. I am looking at their professional series. 8" chef knife.

It is my understanding that The Mac's and Shun knives use a 15 to 16 degree blade angle as to a 20 degree angle used by German Knives. The narrower angle is supposed to be sharper, but less durable.

I have an old passed down Wusthof that has served me well over the years. I am debating about purchasing a new 8" chef knife. Is anyone familiar with the Mac knives? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Mac make good knives at reasonable prices.

If you use the search function, you'll see several threads discussing good knives, Japanese knives in particular.

The general consensus is that the Tojiro DP series of double-bevel knives are some of the best entry-level Japanese knives (and are great knives at any price). I have a gyutou and petty.

I bought them on the recommendation of one of our members (Ouch) who is quite wise in all matters relating to Japanese knives and think they're great knives for slicing. I still use a western knife of heavy cleaver for rough work/heavy chopping.

Lots of folks have bought the Tojiros as their first Japanese knive and I'm not aware of anyone who didn't think they were good knives.

Here's a link to a supplier:

http://www.korin.com/models.php?cat=54&subcat=62&df=knife&catname=Western%20Style&subcatname=Tojiro

Check out Shun as well. They are among the easier to find of the Japanese knives. They are beautiful, but beware, they are right handed knives, so it might feel a bit odd if you are wrong handed.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Korin may be the best place in America to buy knives, and this may be the best place in the world-
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

By all means get a Japanese knife, but do some research. The Shuns/Globals may be easier to find, have recognizable names, and are pretty good knives, but for the price they command you can do much better. The Tojiro line offers fantastic value and is a great introduction to Japanese western styled knives, and from there the sky's the limit. Brands to look for include Hattori, Misono, Masamoto, Suisin, Masahiro, Blazen, Nenohi, and Hiromoto.

Korin may be the best place in America to buy knives, and this may be the best place in the world-
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

By all means get a Japanese knife, but do some research. The Shuns/Globals may be easier to find, have recognizable names, and are pretty good knives, but for the price they command you can do much better. The Tojiro line offers fantastic value and is a great introduction to Japanese western styled knives, and from there the sky's the limit. Brands to look for include Hattori, Misono, Masamoto, Suisin, Masahiro, Blazen, Nenohi, and Hiromoto.

All hail the knife master! :ouch1:

I love my Tojiro too! (bought on Ouch's recommendation of course)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Togiharus are a very good bang for the buck. Their entry level molybdenum line is well made, has excellent geometry, and takes and holds a decent edge. The steel isn't as hard as some of the others, but it's at least as hard as most common German knives. Where it really excels is in fit and finish (far better than one would expect at the price point) and balance, particularly in the longer knives. Most producers get the 210 and 240 mm knives right, but few make 270's that are comfortable to use, and their's is one of the best I've seen. It feels as natural as an 8" knive. I think Zeni has that 270 gyuto from that line, if I recall correctly.

Unless you specifically need or prefer an 8" knife, I'd go for the next size up and get a 240. It will be lighter and more nimble than its shorter German counterpart.

Top Bottom