What's new

I prefer small brushes.

There are many things in this world which I prefer to be large.:lol: But I have recently decided that shaving brushes are not one of them.

recently, I swapped brushes with my dad because he was complaining a bit about his large brush. So I gave him the smaller brush I have been using. Both are Vulfix brushes. I think mine might have been the smallest one they made, and his (which I now have) would be one of the bigger ones.

I wouldn't mind buying a new, smallish brush. But from what maker? And where? And how much will I pay?

Any advice from folks here would be greatly appreciated.

Small brushes are my go to, the Rooney 1-1 and 3-1 supers are pretty hard to beat. Vintage blades sells them around $80 shipped.

Dave

I hope you didn't miss the B&B LE 2008; a 20.5 mm knot with short hair. :cool: Savile has an 18 mm knot size. There is a review of this on B&B. I'm not a fan of large brushes either. :eek:

I have no experience at all with Rooney, but I am very happy with my Savile Row 3118 and 3318 silvertip brushes. A quality brush for around $75. I also have two Vulfix 2233 brushes. At 3-3/4", that's about as large as I like 'em.

Dave

:w00t::em2100:You might think about getting into the 10th and last Carnival Contest. The prize is a beautiful LE 2008 brush with a knot size of 20.5 mm and a handle size of about 55 mm long. This brush has a smaller knot size than the Rooney 1, which is 22 mm and a handle size of 48 mm long. The Sevile 3118 is smaller than both of these brushes. Good luck.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What sort of performance do you want out of your small bursh? Do you want a soap bursh or a cream bursh, and do you face-lather with your bursh?

Subject to your answers, my starting point would be a Rooney Beehive.

There was a good buy on a Rooney 3/1 on the BST forum if its still there.The 3/1 is an excellent brush and can compete with many much more expensive brushes. Probably my favorite small brush though is the Simpson Emperor 2. 19 mm knot that can make an incredible amount of lather for its size.

I'm hijacking a bit here but I think I might be in a similar situation.

I've dabbled around a bit with soaps/creams/where I lather and I'm now decided on what I want to stick with. It sounds so simple when you type it out in one sentence...

I want to face-lather with triple-milled soaps.

And it's taken me nearly a year to be able to confidently say that. Phew. Right so I've always been a one brush at a time kinda guy and my current one is a SR3128 which, though whips up a monstrous amount of lather in a bowl, is really too big for face lathering. I gave my brothers 3118 a whirl the other day and found I was fine with the size, though I'm not averse to going bigger - and I understand that perhaps a stiffer, fan-shaped brush is probably more suited to my purpose.

So which is it to be?

EDIT: I've just done a little research in to prices. I'm glad I'm a small brush guy! I think that most brushes right up to Plisson etc. would fall within my budget on this one. And I don't do too bad on the AD front so this is likely to be my last brush purchase for quite a while - go crazy!

IMO, the best brush for face lathering triple milled soaps is a Rooney Heritage Stubby 1. Stiff, picks up the soap effortlessly, and feels absolutely amazing face lathering (a soft massage). At $130 I wouldn't say it's a bargain but I also would not say it's overpriced. I think that's the right price point. It's got a 22mm knot with a 24mm loft. For something a bit bigger I would reccomend the Stubby 2 (24mm knot and 28 mm loft). So, from one one brush man to another, the Stubby 1 is my only brush (and I only use triple milled hard soaps in their convenient little wooden bowls)...
Best,
Scott

I'm hijacking a bit here but I think I might be in a similar situation.

I've dabbled around a bit with soaps/creams/where I lather and I'm now decided on what I want to stick with. It sounds so simple when you type it out in one sentence...

I want to face-lather with triple-milled soaps.

And it's taken me nearly a year to be able to confidently say that. Phew. Right so I've always been a one brush at a time kinda guy and my current one is a SR3128 which, though whips up a monstrous amount of lather in a bowl, is really too big for face lathering. I gave my brothers 3118 a whirl the other day and found I was fine with the size, though I'm not averse to going bigger - and I understand that perhaps a stiffer, fan-shaped brush is probably more suited to my purpose.

So which is it to be?

EDIT: I've just done a little research in to prices. I'm glad I'm a small brush guy! I think that most brushes right up to Plisson etc. would fall within my budget on this one. And I don't do too bad on the AD front so this is likely to be my last brush purchase for quite a while - go crazy!

If you like the handle a bit shorter, Rooney 1/1 Super for $75 is the best bang for your buck IMO. If you like it a bit longer, 3/1 for the same price. If you do not mind the tips a bit more grey (than white) the standard silvertip can be had for $65.

Best of luck.

J

What about the C&E BBB?

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/edwin-jagger-acc130291.html

That's a great small brush, and better than many brushes twice as expensive.

Although it is a smaller knot size (21mm) than the Rooney smalls (22mm), the larger loft on the C&E makes it feel like a bigger brush IMO. I would classify it more as a medium, as does the company that makes it (Edwin-Jagger). No clue why C&E calls it a small, since the E-J small is actually the 19mm.

Regards.

J

Although it is a smaller knot size (21mm) than the Rooney smalls (22mm), the larger loft on the C&E makes it feel like a bigger brush IMO. I would classify it more as a medium, as does the company that makes it (Edwin-Jagger). No clue why C&E calls it a small, since the E-J small is actually the 19mm.

Regards.

J

So I went and checked theenglishshavingcompany.com, and you know what?

You're absolutely right! I never thought of it that way, but in fact ALL Edwin Jagger 21mm brushes are listed as "Medium." I wonder how that got lost in translation...

Top Bottom