What's new

Mastro livi

Can anyone tell me about the mastro livi straights on classicshaving.com. I mean besides there hefty price tag.

Save your money buy a dovo :lol::lol::lol:

I have shaved with one Livi it shaved great but I will not say it shaved better then any of the other stuff I used . If you are looking to spend that kind of money you can buy something much better . A great thread for you to read would be this one

Nick

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I admire his work.... saw pics of a shave forum member who visited his shop... can't remember which forum.... The Maestro looked very much like the old guys I run into at the Golf Course that are looking to be the 3rd or 4th guy in a foresome ( no personal offense intended..I like those old dudes.... But I was ACTUALLY expecting him to look something more like this....

Horses for courses. You don't buy an artisan razor because of the shave because there are a lot of ebay razors that shave at that level. You buy one of those high-end razors because you like the style and because you can't get one like it anywhere else. I've got a razor from Josh Earl, several Robert Williams, and Bill Ellis's first razor. I've also got a Livi (a 7/8 Takeda with stag scales) that I like quite a bit, and I plan on buying another Livi in the near future. That Silvano steel he's started using recently is really stunning stuff.

I could never afford a custom Livi unless I win the lottery. Unlikely as I don't play the lottery. I do have one of the regrinds. Expensive, but I have to say it is my favorite of five razors in my rotation. Excellent shaver.

Horses for courses. You don't buy an artisan razor because of the shave because there are a lot of ebay razors that shave at that level. You buy one of those high-end razors because you like the style and because you can't get one like it anywhere else. (snip) That Silvano steel he's started using recently is really stunning stuff.
+1 Exactly.

Horses for courses. You don't buy an artisan razor because of the shave because there are a lot of ebay razors that shave at that level. You buy one of those high-end razors because you like the style and because you can't get one like it anywhere else. I've got a razor from Josh Earl, several Robert Williams, and Bill Ellis's first razor. I've also got a Livi (a 7/8 Takeda with stag scales) that I like quite a bit, and I plan on buying another Livi in the near future. That Silvano steel he's started using recently is really stunning stuff.

My sentiments exactly

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You will probably be able to find a better bang-for-buck superb razor from Thiers Issard or DOVO (or old ones from other brands) compared to Livi (or other custom razor makers.)

If you want an artisan-made work of art rather than something churned out in a factory, then custom razors are for you.

If you are just getting started in straight-razor shaving, I'd say wait on the custom razor until you know that (a) this is for you, after all, and (b) you know what you want in a razor ... size, grind, &c. Then you can buy a custom razor that will really excite you and meet your needs.

Last week my Livi regrind arrived from Straight Razor Designs: excellent blade but scales do have a few flaws: when you close the razor the blade rubs against the inside of the handle, quite a few scratches and less than perfect finish. I contacted them but am still awaiting their reply. Not what you expect of a 300 USD razor. Similar criticism on the scales here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20490&highlight=livi+review. And this razor is even much more expensive!

Top Bottom