What's new

What's your favorite Gin to make a Martini?

I just picked up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and I'm hooked. But I've only had martinis from from a few other brands: Seagrams, Tanqueray, etc. What's your favorite?

Pick up a bottle of Boodles and let us know what you think. For less than $20it is going to be hard to beat. Very smooth but full of flavor.

It depends on my mood, so I'll give my top picks: Hendrick's, Plymouth, and Tanqueray Ten.

Bombay Sapphire has a muddy, glycerin taste, to me... their marketing is certainly good, though. :p

My new all time favorite is not easy to find. It is called Aviation. Gin lovers should see this one out. For those in the NY area, the better shops carry it. It should run about $30.

Coming in second and third are Plymouth, and Hendricks. Haven't had Boodles. I will be sure to try it.

Speaking of Plymouth, they make a fantastic Sloe Gin that is slowly (no pun intended) becoming available in the U.S. Sloe Gin is a Gin that has been infused with Sloe berries, and is only about 26% alcohol versus Gin's 40%. Try it with a splash of soda water and lemon juice. A great summer drink. And no, it is nothing like the awful, syrupy sloe gin from Dekuyper.

Junipero, from the boys at Anchor Steam, was one I was anticipating, but was disappointed. If you must find out for yourself, do so. To others, skip it. It isn't worth the money.

Bombay Sapphire is more a product of great marketing than it is a great gin. I was a fan in my 20s, when the options were limited. If you are into Sapphire, do yourself a favor, and try Plymouth which is now readily found.

Cheers!

Hendricks or Tanqueray for me. Hendricks is my favourite all round gin. I have never seen boodles around here, but I'm sure if I spot it I will give it a try

I like Gordons..............But I havent tried Boodles or any other high end Gins.
My money is better spent on Bourbon ;)

That's just the thing... Boodle's isn't "high-end." IMO, it just tastes that way. It's actually (for me) only about $5 per bottle more expensive than Gordon's and a pretty far cry from Hendrick's.

I just picked up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and I'm hooked. But I've only had martinis from from a few other brands: Seagrams, Tanqueray, etc. What's your favorite?

Try Hendricks very dry and with a cornichon instead of olive; a whole new experience. i'll also recommned Citadel and Plymouth :001_rolle

Top Bottom