What's new

Looking for suggestions for brush #2.

Hi everyone.
Seeing as I already have multiples of most wetshaving pieces already, I figured it was time I started thinking about what I want when I go to buy that second shaving brush, so I'm asking if people can give me some suggestions.

Currently, I'm using a Vulfix Pure Badger #2197, which is doing a good job, but I have a few issues with.
Here's the run down on the 2197 to start with:

proxy.php

No. 2197 Pure Badger

Handmade - lathe turned handle finished in faux Ivory

Handle height: 47mm
Overall brush height: 95mm
Knot diameter (At base): 19mm

I definitely think I want to get a softer brush next time, likely silvertip, but maybe Best or Super if I can't afford genuine silvertip. I find the brush a little itchy on my face, especially when lathering for the second or subsequent passes, so softer is better.

However, I don't want the brush to be too floppy, so I think a shorter bristle loft for that,yes?

Also, I'm not crazy about the feel of the plastic handle, and I find the one on my current brush a little short, especially when I try to do that crazy monkey paw hold on the brush.. so a longer handle on a shorter loft brush.. does such a thing exist? Or maybe I need a fatter brush?
What exactly does a bigger bristle knot accomplish?

Finally, do you all have any specific brush suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $80 if possible. Thanks :)

Longer handle, short loft, under $80... Simpson Commodore X3 will be $83 from leesrazors.com http://www.leesrazors2.com/brushes/...ore-best-badger-shaving-brushes-x1-x2-x3.html .

The one thing is I do not know if that one will be quite soft enough for your tastes, but it will definitely be softer than 'pure'. That's the only long-handled brush remotely in your price range that may have those characteristics.J

I have a Rooney Style 2 Size 1 (in "Super"), which came from Vintage Blades (contact person is Jim Ayars) -- it's the first one on the linked-page and, at $74.99, it comes in slightly less-expensive than the one which yomuppet posted.

Smooth shaving!!

I just bought the Commodore X3 as I got really tired of my itchy and floppy Vulfix pure badger brush. I haven't used the X3 that many times since i got it, but nevertheless I have come up with some first impressions:

The brush has, as you requested, a long handle and a short loft. The bristles are packed densely, and it may seem as the knot is somehow placed deep into the handle. Why? Because this funny little brush holds A LOT of water. A good thing I'll say, because my Vulfix pure always needed a dip or five in hot water while lathering up. (I'm a face latherer). With the X3 I don't even have to think at dipping it in water if I shake out the correct amount of water. Also the lather won't hide in the core of the brush as it's so densely packed that there is no room left for lather to hide :smile:

Here are som pics om the X3 compared to the Vulfix:

So to sum up I think this brush will suit you well. Long and solid handle, short loft, and a densely packed knot of short bristles that hold generous amounts of water. One thing though, is that this brush may be more of a face latherer than a bowl latherer.

I have a Rooney Style 2 Size 1 (in "Super"), which came from Vintage Blades (contact person is Jim Ayars) -- it's the first one on the linked-page and, at $74.99, it comes in slightly less-expensive than the one which yomuppet posted.

Smooth shaving!!

+1. I like this brush as well, check out the same bristles in the 3,1. They're almost identical brushes, with same head and different handles.

Best,

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Check out the Shavemac brushes, which should fit your bill. Vintageblades has a good selection, and the Shavemac site itself (if you want to import from Germany) has some pretty long-handled brushes.

What about the B&B Essential brush I keep hearing people talking about? Or is it not what I'm looking for.

What about the B&B Essential brush I keep hearing people talking about? Or is it not what I'm looking for.

If you can wait for the next round of availability, I can't recommend this brush enough. It's absolutely fantastic. And for the money--it's amazing.

The B&B Essential is not available for another few months.

The handles on the B&B E and the Rooneys are not exactly 'long' in my book, which is why I suggested the Simpson Commodore. But, if you think they will be 'long enough' for you, I can definitely recommend all of the above as great options.

Best.

J

Finally, do you all have any specific brush suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $80 if possible. Thanks :)

Let me throw this out there... If it doesn't convince you, so be it... ;) But at least I've made the info available!

I'll start by telling you a quick story... Back when I first started wet shaving one of the first things that happened was I caught a bad case of SBAD... :w00t:

My first brush was a Vulfix #406 I believe... Shortly after another "silvertip" vulfix... Man I thought that was awesome in comparison... After that a cheaper Rooney... Then a Shavemac... Then a simpson... Then an Omega... and so on and so on... Each one I bought I continued thinking was better than any of the ones previous...

BUT... I also realized that each one was costing me successively more money... And by the time I added them all up I had spent a FORTUNE trying to "save" some money by buying a cheaper brush and later buying a slightly more expensive one in the pursuit of something better...

Then it happened...

I bought a Savile Row 3128... At $150 it wasn't a cheap brush by any means... But it also wasn't one of the most expensive I had purchased...

But you know what that brush did for me?

It cured me of my SBAD!!! I'm absolutely serious... I've been using that brush almost every shave ever since... I've sold off or given away most of my other brushes, and the ones that remain I can't bring myself to part with, but the continue to sit on the shelf almost never being used...

Further, I have not bought a SINGLE brush since... Not one... Nor have I had any inclination to....

You hear all this stuff about this shape brush works better for this, that type of brush works best for that, etc... Well let me tell you the SR3128 works for EVERYTHING for me more perfectly than I could ever imagine... Soaps, Creams, whatever you can throw at it, it works fantastically... The hair is incredible and feels great on your face... So very soft it's unbelievable... Yet because of the extremely dense knot and design of the brush it's anything BUT floppy, extremely firm...

Now again... I realize it's almost double what you're looking to spend... but consider this... How much will you spend ultimately in your pursuit to Shaving Brush utopia only to find you may very well wind right back up here where you could have been so long ago... :biggrin:

FWIW, I am in NO way affiliated with QED or the SR line of brushes and have absolutely nothing to gain via this endorsement... I just love it THAT much...

ohh, and here's a pic in case you're interested....

proxy.php

rusirius makes a good point. I've never heard anybody say anythinig bad about an SR. I may just pick one up myself someday, but can't justify the expense yet. If you find you're not able to pay SR prices, then I agree about the Rooney. A very good brush that gets consistently good reviews. Get the Super grade and you will have the stiffness and softness you are looking for. The tips are mildly scritchy for exfoliation but not so as to be uncomfortable. Some Rooneys have the longer handle you are seeking as well. You can see all the Rooneys and prices at www.classicshaving.com. I've never purchased from them so cannot make a recommendation; they just have pics of everything all lined up in a row for you to check out. I actually purchased mine at www.vintagebladesllc.com. Fantastic customer service.

rusirius makes a good point. I've never heard anybody say anythinig bad about an SR. I may just pick one up myself someday, but can't justify the expense yet. If you find you're not able to pay SR prices, then I agree about the Rooney. A very good brush that gets consistently good reviews. Get the Super grade and you will have the stiffness and softness you are looking for. The tips are mildly scritchy for exfoliation but not so as to be uncomfortable. Some Rooneys have the longer handle you are seeking as well. You can see all the Rooneys and prices at www.classicshaving.com. I've never purchased from them so cannot make a recommendation; they just have pics of everything all lined up in a row for you to check out. I actually purchased mine at www.vintagebladesllc.com. Fantastic customer service.

I do not think the SR will meet his criteria about the longer handle, nor will it fit his price range.

Regards.

J

I do not think the SR will meet his criteria about the longer handle, nor will it fit his price range.

Regards.

J

Actually even the 31 series has a pretty big handle, but if it's a longer handle you want, the 32 series is huge by comparison. Granted it doesn't fit the price, but again I was simply offering it as a consideration given how much money can be spent on brush after brush trying to go a "cheaper" router...

Top Bottom