What's new

Tried Method Shaving and didn't stick with it?

Charles' writing style brings out a strong negative reaction from some people.

The thing is, the strongest reactions seem to be from those who've never talked with him. Charles is long-winded in person, but he's also a nice person who really listens carefully to the questions or problems of an individual. And, I've read many posts that corroborate my experience, he is very sensitive to avoid overselling.

I think at it's core, any advantage his two-step paste & soap system has is that it can be mixed and modified to a particular need. Three types of paste, two types of soap, several additives - it really allows for almost infinite tinkering for those whose minds are as fanatical as Charles' about the alchemy of mixing shaving stuff on one's face.

Almost every purveyor of shaving products offers a full line that they wish you would use exclusively: Tabac, the 3 T's, SCS, QED, etc. Again, I think it's the writing style that makes some people assume that Hydrolast products demand a cult-like zeal and exclusivity.

Neither myself, nor most of the posts I read of those who like Hydrolast products are cultish or exclusive about it. I use the aftershave balm every day and consider the cube soap the best prewash I've used, but I use the shave paste only occasionally (now testing with Faith Mountain soap). I don't have Charles' brush, as he talked me out of buying one at the early stage I was at when I visited his store.

The only advice I would venture to give is that if reading Charles' writing has brought out a really strong reaction in you, phone him up and talk with him about shaving. You may not feel so negative afterward. After all, most of us can forgive the atrocious website of QED, maybe we can see past CAR's writing style as well.

Roger

I've never tried any of Mr Roberts' products but get the feeling that the main reasons they aren't constantly raved about is their high cost and the deliberately obfuscatory style of his writing, which I have read and found slightly embarassing. I do accept completely that he is a well-motivitated man, who isn't ripping anyone off, but would say that if "pure water" actually was the best lubricant in the world, he would simply be advising us to shave under water, rather than developing all these non-water-based products. I think its simply untrue and I think he knows its untrue.

For all of you who can't see how Hydrolast is different, I just have two words . . . "TRY IT". It is the slickest lather you will ever use bar none. The conditioner makes your face and skin feel better than anything else.

If it smelled better and had some of the other variety of soaps, it would be my absolute go to. I think it in an absolute must to have the products in your rotation no matter what style of shaving you use. They are great products, period.

Brad

Top Bottom