What's new

watches: leather vs. metal band

I am a metal band guy also. I LOVE watches. I does depend on the watch and time it's being worn.

That Jazz looks nice with a black leather band... but if it's going to be worn everyday... get a metal.

Buy the tools needed and read up online on how to change the bands out and have a collection of watches and a collection of bands.... change out as needed!

That is what I decided. I'm gonna get the metal band, then either get a black leather from hamilton or some other brand.

This is what I have, and have worn just about every day, since I was 13. I love this thing, and it's a great watch. It's a great watch, and while I never use EVERY single thing on it, I do use the alarms, stop watch, and timer a good deal. And I do love me the metal band.

proxy.php

That is what I decided. I'm gonna get the metal band, then either get a black leather from hamilton or some other brand.

If you're going to get both, and you intend on doing the strap change yourself, be sure get the proper tool for the job. It is called a springbar tool. I use the Bergeon 6767F found here.

Depends on the watch. Agree with most that metal bands are traditionally used for daily wear and leather for more semi-formal to formal events. I find leather to convey more of a classic feel.

Being that you work in the technology field, it may benefit you to buy metal in the event you find yourself in an electrostatic field and need to static discharge/ground yourself :cool:.

I like the metal bands best; however, I am unable to wear them
Smallest issue: the fit is never right, either to loose or too tight
Biggest issue: hairy arms - 'nuff said, methinks

unrelated note: I have a friend who can't wear digital watches - after wearing one for a matter of minutes, it's all scrambled up; you know how all living things produce a weak electro-magnetic field, the thing sharks pick up on - his is so strong it messes up digital watches, craziest thing. To prove his point, I let him wear my Ironman watch for a class period in high school, it worked perfectly before I gave it to him, watched him in class, he never touched it - I miss that watch
He also won't swim in the ocean, because of the shark thing

Completely depends on the watch. If I have the option of buying with a metal bracelet I will 9 times out of 10. I have a drawer full of other options ranging from rubber to leather to nylon that I'll swap back and forth between watches. It's nice to be able to also have the OEM bracelet if I want it.

Today however I am wearing a rubber strap. On a Casio calculator watch. That's right. I'm kicking it old school nerd core today. Wahoo!

Leather looks good to me, especially for work and formal occasions. The downside is you have got to co-ordinate it a bit. Black leather band with black belt, shoes and portfolio/briefcase.

The beauty of metal is its low maintenance, can wear it with anything. I just think its not as elegant than a leather band.

I mean we take our time shaving, might as well take the time to dress up.

Just be careful going past a PETA demonstration, especially with that musky aftershave.

I prefer a 20 dollar casio watch with an atomic reciever to keep perfect time, plus a stopwatch, alarm, and calendar. Functionality over form. Comes stock with a pvc/rubber ??? strap. I can wash cars and shower with it on, and it doesn't care. When the battery goes dead in 2 or 3 years, I'll proceed to get yet another new one.

But if I was into the stylish watches, and had to impress people, I'd pick leather anyday, with the watch being gold. I think that's the sharpest look.

This is what I have, and have worn just about every day, since I was 13. I love this thing, and it's a great watch. It's a great watch, and while I never use EVERY single thing on it, I do use the alarms, stop watch, and timer a good deal. And I do love me the metal band.

proxy.php

That, my friend, is one h$ll of a nice watch. It's too busy for my taste, but I can certainly appreciate what it does and the purposes it serves. Right on.

Generally, leather straps are 'dressier' than metal ... at least the slim, sleek leather ones (not to be confused with the chunky, rough leather straps that you see on big casual watches.)

IMHO, you can get lots of watches that look classy and business-appropriate whether with metal or leather band ... I'd focus on picking the right overall look rather than worrying about metal vs. leather in particular, and go with your personal preferance on that issue.
He sums it up quite well. :w00t:
Metal band for everyday use, leather for special occasion use.
He does a good job too! :001_smile
Metal divers watch for work and a slim watch with dark brown leather for dress.
another one:001_rolle
I like the metal bands best; however, I am unable to wear them
Smallest issue: the fit is never right, either to loose or too tight
Biggest issue: hairy arms - 'nuff said, methinks
:mad3:
great, you leave me nothing else to add...

Oh! one thing. Look for non-polished (matte finish) metal for everyday use. On a mirror finish metal scratches are much more evident, though a clean mirror finish can look dressier.

Leather bands can lead to sweaty and/or smelly wrists, specially if you use cologne wrists.

Top Bottom