What's new

Torn between two great razors.

My stable of razors is growing quickly and now I'm thinking I need to get a good adjustable but which one?

I'm torn between the Merkur Progress or an old school Gillette Fat Boy.

I'd love to get some input on which one people like the most. I know I can get a progress for around $50 these days but I have no idea what a fat boy is going for.

I do like razors that are a bit on the aggressive side and I like how aggressive my Merkur HD is and I'm hoping the progress has these characteristics.

Just an observation from a slim adjustable user fwiw - both these razors seem to inspire a great deal of loyalty from their owners, but there also seems to be a crowd of people who just don't get the love; oddly perhaps the adjustable that seems to get the most general praise is the long handled super adjustable. If I was in the market for another adjustable that's what I'd probably go for.

I saw this thread title and thought "there really oughtta be something in place where when you post something like this, it automatically brings up a window to the poster that say 'GET BOTH. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.'" :smile:

I like the Progress much better than the Fatboy, but they both give great shaves. I would get both, and if you don't like one of them, I am sure you could sell it here.

Progress? Fatboy?

Nix on the both of 'em. Instead, get the Ultimate Adjustable Razor: a straight razor!!

Both will give you a great shave. I find the progress just a tad more efficient. Hard to explain. It seems like has the progress has to work less hard then the Gillette.

Progress - or better the Mergress which is the Progress modified by Mer to have a metal adjustable knob instead of the plastic one.

The FatBoy has a slightly unweildy head.

FYI, I own both the FatBoy and the Mergress

Just a quick observation. If you are relatively new to wet shaving the fat boy may be a bit harder to get used to. The fat boy is thicker and a slight bit heavier in my estimation then the Progress. You need to be able to avoid trying to press the razor through the shave. On the other hand, the fat boy has a much better grip due to the pattern on the handle. The Progress can be slippery especially if you grab it with wet hands and slick lather residue on your fingers.

I own both the Progress and the Fat Boy and yes I think the Progress is a little more agressive. I like both though and alternate between them but get a great shave with both and I find a lot of the quality of the shave depends on the blades I use....
YMMV though!

The last two fatboy's I purchased were $12 and $18 each. Both had cases and required a little cleaning but are good shavers. Buy both and get a slim and Futur. Shaved with my Futur today and its my favorite Merkur.

Top Bottom