What's new

Pure olive oil soap from Greece

I have been wanting to order some pure olive oil soap, such as savon de Marseilles or Aleppo from Syria for about a year, but for some reason I never managed to pull the trigger.

Today, I went to a local Greek seafood restaurant for lunch. When I walked in, I noticed a video playing of the owner on a recent trip to Crete. Then, I noticed bins of loose bars of imported Greek olive oil soap, which he probably brought back from his trip, and I knew I would be buying some. Then I looked for the price and got one of my biggest shocks in recent memory. He is selling them for 35-cents each! They are fairly large bars and very hard, so I imagine they will last quite a while. I only bought two, but if I really like them, I'll probably go back to stock up.

They are either unscented or so lightly scented that I can barely tell. They are like an ever so slightly floral crayon. I imagine it is just the scent of the olive, itself.

I'll report back after I use it. I may just go downstairs now and wash my face. :wink:

Tim

I have a block of the Aleppo soap - not the best smelling by any stretch of the imagination but it leaves my face feeling like a billion dollars :em2300:

Excellent find.. I love olive oil soap, though sometimes the scent is not pleasant like the KMF pure olive. Looks like you did well on that point.

I'm currently using Olivia Care lemon verbena. A French soap that I found at Tjmaxx. This one is very good.

I have been wanting to order some pure olive oil soap, such as savon de Marseilles or Aleppo from Syria for about a year, but for some reason I never managed to pull the trigger.

Today, I went to a local Greek seafood restaurant for lunch. When I walked in, I noticed a video playing of the owner on a recent trip to Crete. Then, I noticed bins of loose bars of imported Greek olive oil soap, which he probably brought back from his trip, and I knew I would be buying some. Then I looked for the price and got one of my biggest shocks in recent memory. He is selling them for 35-cents each! They are fairly large bars and very hard, so I imagine they will last quite a while. I only bought two, but if I really like them, I'll probably go back to stock up.

They are either unscented or so lightly scented that I can barely tell. They are like an ever so slightly floral crayon. I imagine it is just the scent of the olive, itself.

I'll report back after I use it. I may just go downstairs now and wash my face. :wink:

Tim

Well....??? Did you use it yet?

I may have to send you back to that place to get me a 4 dollars worth of soap :biggrin:

Well....??? Did you use it yet?

I may have to send you back to that place to get me a 4 dollars worth of soap :biggrin:

Oh, yes, you must have missed post #3. I have been using it for my pre-shave wash ever since then and I even took a shower with it. I'm still happy! :tongue:

Tim

I have the Kiss My Face Olive Oil soaps. They're made in Greece. They smell slightly revolting for those who aren't used to the scent and get slimy really quickly. I'm wondering if anyone else has had that problem with pure olive oil soap.

That's an astoundingly great price.

I buy all of our soaps online from frenchsoaps.com. Wonderful soaps....great selection, but kind of spendy. Fortunately, soaps of this quality do tend to last a tremendous amount longer than your typical grocery store detergent bars and in general make showering a bit more of an even rather than something to rush through.

After decades of using Ivory.......the *real* soaps have been a revelation.

Enjoy!

Mississauga Ontario

Many health food stores have olive oil soaps from a variety of countries.

Look also in Italian and Greek grocery stores.

Many stores sell the "soapworks" brand of soaps (typically in wooden floor racks or shelving displays) these go for $1.5 to $2 per bar and they sell a nice olive oil soap (palm/coconut base with olive added).

If you want savon de marseilles (one of my favourites), this place in Markham seems to have a good selection at very reasonable prices:

[URL="http://www.kisglobalflavors.com[/URL]

Their olive and palm oil soaps are excellent.

Kiss My Face also makes some decent olive oil soaps.

The best thing is to explore the local health and ethnic stores - you'll often be amazed at what you can find.

Oh, if you're anywhere near a Highland Farms grocery store, they often have a great selection of soaps in various places in the store - they also stock Proraso and Omega products at pretty good prices, so worth a trip for that as well!

thanks!!
I got some Savon de Marseilles (I've been looking for this locally for ages!) from kisglobalflavors.com. Prices are quite good, but the shipping is killer, oh well, can't wait to try this stuff!

Top Bottom