What's new

First time using Mitchell's Woolfat

Just tried this stuff tonight. First of all, it lathers just fine. I was a bit worried about this having heard some people say that had a hard time with it.

My first shave was a pretty nice version of my usual four passes.

I find the soap produces a really nice sort of "slick" on my face that does seem conducive to a good shave. Its a think, ever so slightly oily sort of soap. I guess that's the fat or lanolin (or both) in it.

Then there's the smell. I don't mind it. But I will have to use it a while to see if I grow to like it or dislike it. I could see this going either way. This is one of those shaving products that has a smell that you can like, but don't want to walk around smelling that way - such is the case, I think, with the classic Williams Mug Soap. Some people (though I am not one of them) would even say this about Ice Blue Aqua Velva.

Anyway, so far I kind of like Micthell's Woolfat. I can see how it would have its detractors, but I can also see why I have read so many fantastic reviews of it here.

I have been working though a puck myself (2 weeks and hardley a dent). I love the stuff, my only complaint is that it leaves a lot of residue behind on the razor and the side of coffee cup I float as a scuttle.

Alright Christoph!

I don't want to overstep my place as a n00b here but I've been following your process on this and am glad to see you pulled the trigger.

I understand your point on the scent or lack thereof: MWF (or Kent in my case) is such a rich, quality soap smell I really like it. I'm seeing Arko described as smelling like 'soap' in a thread I started on that; to each his own but I wouldn't describe that smell as being in the same galaxy with the smell of the Fat.

I can see from my puck that the staying power of the soap will be significant. Makes it a good deal shave-for-shave imo.

Unfortunately I was able to smell a certain hint of... lamb chop... under the MWF scent, and I just couldn't get around that. So it's sitting in a drawer in a plastic bag now, I'm not sure if I'll go back to it or not.

I got the lamb smell thing also at first and did not like it. Surely I am wrong, but anyone who has been around goats on a farm would pick this up immediately. Maybe it was the WOOLFAT marketing name or something that clicked in my brain.

But, the more I smell Da Fat the more that original impression fades and I detect the true fragrance. Someone mentioned lavender and Now I get that. And I love it. I mean I smell the puck for the hell of it all the time. I just like it.

DA FAT.

Maybe I should give it another try and attempt to work past the "holiday dinner" feeling.

Although now that it has been wet and dried out in the bag it has these horrible cracks...

Maybe I should give it another try and attempt to work past the "holiday dinner" feeling.

Although now that it has been wet and dried out in the bag it has these horrible cracks...

The soap should be fine, my tabac starts to crack after not using it for awhile, it still lathers up just fine. I would deffinetly give it another shot. If you still don't like it I will take it off your hands, never used it before.:rolleyes:

When I first tried this soap I wasn't really blown away. I figured it was just another soap that didn't really work for me. I had even included it for sale in a set in BST. But I tried it again one morning, face lathering this time, and couldn't believe the incredible performance of the soap. Now it's my favorite. I'm thinking I may have to try more triple milled soaps now.

I'm very glad I didn't sell it. I love the subtle smell too.

When I first tried this soap I wasn't really blown away. I figured it was just another soap that didn't really work for me. I had even included it for sale in a set in BST. But I tried it again one morning, face lathering this time, and couldn't believe the incredible performance of the soap. Now it's my favorite. I'm thinking I may have to try more triple milled soaps now.

I'm very glad I didn't sell it. I love the subtle smell too.

It really grows on you. I love MWF. I molded mine into a shave stick and use it that way. I get loads of lather fast. Love it!:thumbup1:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I think it is a fine soap but I wouldn't replace it once it gets finished ( Im sure, years from now). The scent actually reminds me of Vintage Yardley Soap that I have used in the past.

I think it is a fine soap but I wouldn't replace it once it gets finished ( Im sure, years from now). The scent actually reminds me of Vintage Yardley Soap that I have used in the past.
Yeah that's the scent! I mixed up some with KMF mint and it Superlathered up like WOW leading to a pretty damn good shave :em2300:

Unfortunately I was able to smell a certain hint of... lamb chop... under the MWF scent, and I just couldn't get around that. So it's sitting in a drawer in a plastic bag now, I'm not sure if I'll go back to it or not.

hey if you dont like it i charge only a small disposal fee.....:biggrin:

just drop me a PM and i'll tell you where to send it:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

nothing leaves my face feeling as moisturized as the MWF. And you can call me crazy, but I actually dig the slight "barnyard" scent to MWF...

Top Bottom