What's new

Osage Rub

During a blistering hot summer, I want to use the most cooling aftershave. While reading many reviews here, I decided to try Osage Rub. This frostbite in a bottle is in a class of its own.

Price: The price is one of the greatest features of this product, it comes in a 14 oz bottle, and a quick search on the internet will tell you this is a very inexpensive product. I was unable to find it locally, so I had to order it. But even with shipping it was cheaper, per ounce, than Aqua Velva.

Fights Razor Burn: I am a person that gets a fair amount of razor burn. And I recognize a lot of that has to do with my technique. Yet in the mean time, while many of us are still learning the intricacies of the perfect technique, we have a product like this. I get zero razor burn after I splash this on my face.

Cooling Sensation: This product is known for being ice cold. Immediately after application you feel frostbite begin to set in. In fact, the first time I used it, my cheeks were numb for 15 minutes. While this may not appeal to everyone, I certainly like it on hot summer days. This product is really intense for the first 30 seconds on most days. Other days, I feel my face somewhat frozen for a several minutes. The cooling effect for me lasts about 10 to 15 minutes. I sometimes apply this over my entire face, after a long day to enjoy the frigid temperatures. One thing to note is, I can certainly understand why some people may find this product too intense, and there are some days when I find it too much, but then I just remind myself of the temperature outside.

Scent: To me, Osage Rub is so loaded with menthol that whatever fragrance that is added...is overtaken. This isn't a product that you'd want to open up and take a big whiff of. While this is beginning to be somewhat of a cliche, I find it to smell like vicks vapor rub. It does have a slight "barbershop" smell (think proraso) hidden behind the menthol kick. I would assume this is due to the eucalyptus. The scent however fades very quickly.... perfect for those wanting to splash on some cologne after.

Efficacy: While this rating is somewhat subjective, I think we all know, just by looking at the ingredients, what purpose this product serves. It's is a straightforward aftershave splash, kills razor burn, and provides an intense cooling sensation. If you are looking for more than that, you may need to look elsewhere, or use something in addition to this. Thus, if you strictly look at the products purpose, it's a 10.

Moisturizing: Osage Rub has no "moisturizing" ingredients, such as glycerin. I gave this product a 5 because it neither dries out my face, nor does it add any moisture. This may be a different story to those who have different skin conditions, but I think its on par with a lot other splashes out there. So, if you have dry skin, or want to add some moisturizing, following this up with a balm or moisturizer, is probably your best bet.

No Alcohol Burn: Neither this nor Aqua Velva (I try to relate this to Aqua Velva because most are familiar with that similar product) really give me that much alcohol burn. For me with Aqua Velva, there is a slight pinch at first then a gradual build up of cooling. However, once I put some Osage Rub on my face, I am immediately struck with the cooling sensation, so there is probably no time to feel the alcohol kick. Others may have a different story however.

I tried to get a decent picture of the opening of the bottle. It's got a small little opening so you can pour out just the right amount, and you don't have to put your thumb over the top of the bottle to regulate the pour.

As always, your mileage may vary. I however, enjoy this product, as it must be taken for what its purpose it serves.

Click here for a thread to discuss this product.

View attachment 27394

View attachment 27395

View attachment 27396

Could someone point as to where I could purchase Jeris Osage Rub aftershave in the Portland, OR area. I had sent an email to the company through their website but havent heard from them. I went to the nearest Sally's Beauty Supply but could not find it there either.

Thanks

Yes. Call around to your local beauty supply stores. All except Sally's. They discontinued selling the "Freeze Your Face" in a bottle.

I just finished spritzing and slappin' my face with the famous Osage Rub...:em2100: If you like it frozen, this is what you want. Go totally artic with the Proraso Preshave, My Time Bath and Body's Menthol cream (Level 10) followed up by some sideways slaps of the O' Rub and believe you me - 'tis COOL RUNNINGS time mon! :em2200:
Price: I Live in Japan so I had to order on line....
Fights Razor Burn: I guess, I can't feel my face
Cooling Sensation: I would say OH YES!
Scent: Fades after a little bit, won't mess with your favorite colognes
Efficacy: Sticking your face in an iceberg may be cooler
Moisturizing: Hmmmmm, maybe?
No Alcohol Burn: I guess not - it didn't burn my face but it was cool as shigitty!
While YMMV - I can say this the, O' Rub is the way to go for a refreshingly cool way to start a hot humid day! Multiply that by 10 if you go with a cooling preshave/soap/cream trifecta!

Could someone point as to where I could purchase Jeris Osage Rub aftershave in the Portland, OR area. I had sent an email to the company through their website but havent heard from them. I went to the nearest Sally's Beauty Supply but could not find it there either.

Thanks

I think that my barber carries the Osage Rub= Rose City Barber on 72nd and Sandy.
There is also a barber supply on something like NE 136th and Stark? I believe it is also called Rose City Beauty Supply?

Interesting - the Spanish ingredients say it has glycerine, but not the English????

That is interesting. I never noticed that.

I don't know why, but this was moved from the "reviews" to the "forums" yesterday for some reason. weird. This should be in the reviews.

I tried this for the first time today......Thanks to Wtruit (Wyane) for coming by my shop and giving me a bottle. I've used it three times since 11:00 this morning. Just can't get enough of that freeze your face feeling.

What a wonderful product for summer use.

Thanks Wayne!!

Nice timing, I just commented on OR over in the "I don't like AV or OS" thread.

Great stuff, frosty as can be. But, it actually makes my eyes water. Made me sad, really. I love the feel, but I'm just not man enough.

Someday my small sampler, kindly pif'ed to me by Wayne, will get added to a pif kit and find itself a new home.

Jack

Top Bottom