What's new

Furniture on budget

I'm gonna be closing on a new home in a couple of weeks and need to pickup some living room and dining room furniture. I really don't wanna spend a lot of money on expensive furniture and was wondering if you guys could recommend stores like Ikea or any internet site that sells reasonably priced modern looking furniture.
I'm not far from NYC, if anyone knows any places there. I appreciate any comments.

I can't help you with any places, but I would recommend a futon. You will get a couch and a spare bed.

I love Ikea - not for buying furniture - park opposite the loading bay, you won't wait long before someone comes out with a king size bed and tries to fit it in a Mini...

They'll eventually manage to squish it in and then realise that there's no space for the driver, never mind the passengers.

Best one I ever saw was a guy slotting a book case in his Peugeot 405 estate (station wagon)... he shot it far enough forward that it cracked the windscreen (windshield), then he slammed the tailgate down and knocked the window out of that too :lol:

I'd stay with Craigslist... At Ikea you walk in without a plan, get lost for three hours, spend three times what you'd planned and end up assembling everything for the next two weeks. With Craigslist you won't waste the whole day because most of the people are so weird they'll make you wonder where all the bodies are located... and you can bargain down the prices. :biggrin1:

IKEA. Enough said. Some people will bash it and other will call it cheap. I contend it is the only place in the world you can purchase attractive modern furniture at reasonable prices.

Of course, you will not be purchasing family heirlooms, but it isn't garbage either. I have spent literally thousands of dollars at IKEA ... bedroom sets, entertainment sets, couches, storage units ... hell my wife and I completely remodeled our kitchen with IKEA cabinets. I have yet to be disappointed.

I know you said "modern", but for the money, I'd hit some antique stores. Solid wood, well made furniture from a time when people cared about their work...I doubt you will be seeing much IKEA furniture in the antique stores 50 years from now. Antique stores are also the place to fuel your RAD, so you can kill two birds with one stone.:001_smile

Salvation Army Stores or Goodwill, not only will you find good stuff at great prices, you money will stay local and help those in need, not go overseas to Sweden or China.

Salvation Army Stores or Goodwill, not only will you find good stuff at great prices, you money will stay local and help those in need, not go overseas to Sweden or China.

A BIG +1

In addition, they usually offer local delivery at a very reasonable price; and what's more, if you make purchases at a number of these stores, most deliverymen are willing to pick-up-and-deliver from the others, at the same time!

:thumbdown on Ikea!

A BIG +1

In addition, they usually offer local delivery at a very reasonable price; and what's more, if you make purchases at a number of these stores, most deliverymen are willing to pick-up-and-deliver from the others, at the same time!

:thumbdown on Ikea!

Agreed

You can get well built, solid wood furniture at goodwill/second hand stores for less than particle board will cost you at Ikea.

I have owned furniture from thrift stores and from IKEA. Depending on its usage, you can get good value from each.

High traffic (couches, dining tables, chairs, computer desk) go with thrift stores. You'll get a $45 couch you can recover with a slipcover from Target. Look for solid wood tables and chairs. That way, you can refinish them if you want to a darker, more modern color.

Low traffic (bookcases, console table, TV stand) go with IKEA, Walmart, or Target. They all have to be assembled, but it's only going to sit still, so it's not such a big deal. Walmart and Target are likely local to your area and you can get 6ft. 5-shelf bookcases there for $18 each.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'm gonna go get my stuff from Ikea, just looking at their latest catalogue they have some nice furniture reasonably priced.

Pretty much my whole apartment is furnished by Craigslist with accessories from Ikea and one couch from Salvation army.

We got a new sofa and loveseat very cheap from The Brick (Furnature store, might be regional, not sure) liquidation center. Brand new leather couch and love seat for $375 because the leather had some sun discolouring on a spot not visible when the couch is against the wall anyways.

So check liquidation centers.

We also bought a brand new bed and mattress set because you can't afford not to treat yourself well while sleeping (etc. :wink: ).

Top Bottom