What's new

Does anyone still use 4711?

its a nice "clear up the atmosphear" scent, if not on yourself, its something nice to spray around the house in small ammounts,

I love it, but will never buy a bottle of it cos it only lasts about 25 minutes on me. I have a similar complaint with the R&G Farina (which I find has a slightly better balance).

Just saw some of this with a patient the other day. I complimented her on her style. She warmed to me, the boss was impressed as she is known to be rather caustic. Ahhh, the power of a little schmooze!

I use the cologne on days when something heavier is not appropriate, or occasionally when I just want something light that doesn't stay with me all day. I love the smell and I wish there was a version that lasted longer, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the original to get a new and 'improved' version anywhere down the line.

Has someone tried the very original Eau de Cologne (Farina gegenüber)? Or the Authentique Eau de Cologne de l'Empereur Napoléon 1er nearly as old as the 4711? Both are still sold nowadays.

I believe that this is the Roger and Gallet Maria Farina. I use it a lot in the summer, a bit better quality than 4711 but quite similar and same price bracket - short and sweet. It was the 200 year anniversary in 2006, when Proctor and Gamble bought R&G they discontinued it earlier this year. It is (or at least was) a beer budget Bois de Cedrat IMO. You might still get a bottle on line if you're interested.

I love 4711. That first citrus note is so fresh and perfect, just wish it lasted longer.

Couldn't agree more. I love it, but it doesn't last. Although I suppose when this was newly created, people didn't expect to get hours and hours of scent. I use this very frequently, and year round.

I have been meaning to try this for some time. Is there anything better as far as scent goes or is this the must have?

I use 4711 cologne as an aftershave in the warmer months. I also splash a bunch on after a shower sometimes. It disappears rather quickly... but I love it while its there.

I tried it and quite liked it, but never bought it because of the very short lifespan on my body- gone in less than 30 minutes. I know that's kinda the idea for 4711, but I wanted longer life. For my nose and budget, Hoyt's cologne smells similar (better and more masculine in my opinion) and lasts several hours longer on my skin.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I use it. Today, I just used the aftershave. Nice, but as stated above, it is fleeting. But sometimes fleeting isn't such a bad thing. Sometimes I use it just to freshen up say several hours after a shower.

I bought a 200ml bottle from Winners a few weeks ago and I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I've splashed it on some days when I could use a pick me up, I couldn't wear it as a going-out scent because it would fade too quickly. Such a shame.

Top Bottom