What's new

Honing question

I have recently lapped my chinese 12k. When In one direction it will lay flush wth the stone, but in the back direction there is a gap. My razor is Thiers Issard. full hollow.

My guess: both your hone and razor might be warped slightly. In one direction both warpages even one another out but in the other direction.

Or one side of the spine isn't parallel to the edge. I've got a TI like that myself. I use an extra layer of tape on one end of one side to add the extra thickness to the spine to make that side lay flat on the hone. On the side that isn't laying flat, put an extra piece of tape on the end of the spine corresponding to the end of the blade that is touching the hone.

Or one side of the spine isn't parallel to the edge. I've got a TI like that myself. I use an extra layer of tape on one end of one side to add the extra thickness to the spine to make that side lay flat on the hone. On the side that isn't laying flat, put an extra piece of tape on the end of the spine corresponding to the end of the blade that is touching the hone.

Should have thought of that! That's where experience comes in. Of the 40+ razors I honed up till today I never encountered sth like this, but I guess with a TI you can expect a thing like that. How about using a narrow hone for a razor like that instead of this complicated taping procedure?

That would work too - I've got a small barber hone that I sometimes use on razors like this. But the half-taping trick is really quite simple once you've done it once, and the honing goes faster if the entire edge is touching the hone than it does if only half the blade is touching the hone.

What kind of tape do you use? just a regular scotch tape? I currently only have a Chinese 12k would i be able to achieve a good edge with this alone or will a courser grit be necessary?

Electricians' tape is better, scotch tape will come off if you use water on the hone. It depends on your edge if the 12K suffices. If it is nearly there and it will cut some hair already it will be otherwise you need a coarser hone. I usually go from 5K Shapton to the Escher (also approx. 12 K) but some would argue you need an 8K as the jump from 5-12 is too large.

What kind of tape do you use? just a regular scotch tape? I currently only have a Chinese 12k would i be able to achieve a good edge with this alone or will a courser grit be necessary?

Top Bottom