What's new

My first big RAD score locally!!

The gf and I hit an antique store next to an antique mall today on a whim after brunch. We walk in, and the place just doesn't look very promising at first. I take a quick look around, think "okay, whatev", and we're about to leave when the proprietors of the store ask if we're looking for anything in particular.

I mention that I'm into shaving supplies - and his eyes light up. He practically drags us across the store and sets us down in front of a big box full of razors. Straights, DEs, Gems, you name it. There was, for example, a BEAUTIFUL tiny travel tech in a red carry case that I would have grabbed if it wasn't 75 dollars. Tells me "buy more than one item, you get 20% off".

First thing I grabbed was a lovely blue-tip SS - TEN DOLLARS.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Second thing was this straight razor - my first, and I'm still not sure what to do with it. BEAUTIFUL razor though - 20 dollars.

proxy.php

proxy.php

THEN finally the piece I was on the fence about - listed @ 48, but 20% off brought it under 39, so it was kind of a no-brainer. Mechanically sound, but looks like hell. Needs serious cleaning, which is something I think I can do.

proxy.php

Not sure if the deal was great or not, but I was thinking about a fatboy - and here it is, with a case that was in good shape. Impossible to resist. :) Debating the best way to clean it - never cleaned an adjustable before.

Well... a quick soak (15 minutes) in Oxyclean+boiling water took most of the really gross gunk off the fat boy, and a toothbrush has helped as well - but there is a whole bunch of gross yellow gunk under the head that I can't get to. argh.

Oh, and the blue tip superspeed now has a significantly darker handle. i think i just fubared it. :(

Oh, and the blue tip superspeed now has a significantly darker handle. i think i just fubared it. :(

The Blue Tips have an aluminum handle so I tend to be especially careful with them, boiling, scubbing bubbles, etc., can be harsh. You may still be able to bring it back with some polish.

The Blue Tips have an aluminum handle so I tend to be especially careful with them, boiling, scubbing bubbles, etc., can be harsh. You may still be able to bring it back with some polish.

Yeah...

on the bright side, the blue tip looks much cooler with a dark handle. :)

Top Bottom