What's new

Any Drinkers of Buttermilk Here?

I did a quick search on here for buttermilk and all the results I looked at had them in recipes (buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk dressing...). I love to drink buttermilk, sometimes with some salt and/or pepper in it. It's good stuff. I wish I could get it in a size bigger than a quart here.

I drink buttermilk occasionally, usually what is left over after making cornbread. I really like it when it is "good", but sometimes modern commercial buttermilk just doesn't taste right.

I even have a buttermilk story. One time when I was a teenager, I was at a friend's house when I saw his father making what I surely thought was a concoction from Hell. He chopped an onion into a large glass. Then he crumbled a piece of cornbread into the glass. Finally, he filled it with buttermilk and ate the whole mess with a spoon. I was horrified. But I never forgot it and, many years later, I noticed that I had all the components on hand and I tried it, myself. It is delicious!

Tim

Yuck! Peole actually drink buttermilk?!?!?

It's great for frying, but drinking it....No offense but that's disgusting.

My Dad loved drinking buttermilk when I was a kid. Apparently he picked it up from HIS Dad, who apparently also had that peculiar affliction. My Grandfather grew up in Poland, however, so perhaps it's a cultural thing(?). I never got the taste for it personally, except as used in making biscuits for breakfast.

John P.

My grandfather used to look forward to the Westinghouse's work pitnic every year, because he could go down there and drink his weight in buttermilk. He's not from the south, either.

If you add salt to it, it takes some of the edge off, but I like the edge.

I drink buttermilk occasionally, usually what is left over after making cornbread. I really like it when it is "good", but sometimes modern commercial buttermilk just doesn't taste right.

I even have a buttermilk story. One time when I was a teenager, I was at a friend's house when I saw his father making what I surely thought was a concoction from Hell. He chopped an onion into a large glass. Then he crumbled a piece of cornbread into the glass. Finally, he filled it with buttermilk and ate the whole mess with a spoon. I was horrified. But I never forgot it and, many years later, I noticed that I had all the components on hand and I tried it, myself. It is delicious!

Tim

I have chopped onions left over from this braunschweiger dip I just made, but I need cornbread. I've been aiming to make it, but I still need to buy sugar, and I still need to buy something to keep the sugar in. But I put off all my standard apartment things (like a kitchen table) so that I can buy more shaving stuff. (My shave den has two 6' tables, and I eat on my lap.)

I grew up eating cornbread in milk, but never considered putting onions in it. I also don't think of most commercially available "cornbread" as the real deal. That stuff is more like cake or something. The stuff I grew up on was much crunchier for lack of a better word and had a lot more "substance" to it rather than the slightly sweet, almost airy stuff typically passed for cornbread in most restaurants.
Still, Dad, his Dad, and one or two other people I've met liked it, but it wasn't for me. (buttermilk, anyway).

John P.

My grandfather used to like a late night snack of buttermilk with some leftover cornbread crumbled in it. He pour a tall glass about half-full, crumble up the cornbread, and eat it with a long iced tea spoon. Never saw him add onions though. I may have to try it next time we're over at the in-laws. Mom-in-law usually keeps buttermilk in the fridge.

......I even have a buttermilk story. One time when I was a teenager, I was at a friend's house when I saw his father making what I surely thought was a concoction from Hell. He chopped an onion into a large glass. Then he crumbled a piece of cornbread into the glass. Finally, he filled it with buttermilk and ate the whole mess with a spoon. I was horrified. But I never forgot it and, many years later, I noticed that I had all the components on hand and I tried it, myself. It is delicious!

Tim

Yes, I've seen that a lot here in Alabama, mostly by people who either grew up with gardens or on a farm. My grandfather, dad, and uncle drank it (or ate it) this way. Also, lots of people down here used to buy BAMA jelly, and in the 60s and early 70s BAMA made a 12oz. jelly jar that made an excellent drinking glass-and perfect for the buttermilk and cornbread combo that you described above. Those glasses used to be very common because so many people saved them to use as their everyday drinking glasses. It used to be easy to find them at Goodwill in the 90s, but I rarely see them these days. I'm glad that I saved about ten of my uncle's glasses before they threw them away. No telling how many gallons of the buttermilk/cornbread/onion mix went through them.....

BTW, I suddenly realized that can translate your name or handle. You must be from around here somewhere...

My paternal Grandparents always had buttermilk in the frig. Dad being a good southern bred boy bought it as an occassional treat, he loved it. As a little girl I remember him telling waitresses 'she'll have sweet milk' when we went to see Ma after Grandpa died.

Never saw the cornbread concotion with onion though. Grandma's cornbread was baked in a big iron skillet, not sweet at all (that's what the sorghum was for), heavy and very filling. I still can't make homemade bisquits as good as I remember my Grandmothers.
Sue

My paternal Grandparents always had buttermilk in the frig. Dad being a good southern bred boy bought it as an occassional treat, he loved it. As a little girl I remember him telling waitresses 'she'll have sweet milk' when we went to see Ma after Grandpa died.

Never saw the cornbread concotion with onion though. Grandma's cornbread was baked in a big iron skillet, not sweet at all (that's what the sorghum was for), heavy and very filling. I still can't make homemade bisquits as good as I remember my Grandmothers.
Sue

No one can ever make anything as good as grandmas can. It's just a fact. My grandma makes the best stuffed cabbage, potato salad, pasta sauce, and whatever else she makes. Great gnocchi. Mmmm. Oh, and her cloverleaf rolls! And maple rolls! Oh man. I'm getting hungry, and I just ate.

OK, I'll admit my ignorance. What does buttermilk taste like? It sounds good--I mean "butter" and "milk". How can you go wrong with that? Honestly, what's peculiar about it that would make it questionable to drink?

OK, I'll admit my ignorance. What does buttermilk taste like? It sounds good--I mean "butter" and "milk". How can you go wrong with that? Honestly, what's peculiar about it that would make it questionable to drink?

It used to be the milk left over after churning butter (which wouldn't make it fatty, since the fat turned to butter, at least I think so). Now it's just milk with bacteria added. It doesn't taste like butter. According to Wikipedia, it's sour and tart because of the acid.

Go get some!

It used to be the milk left over after churning butter (which wouldn't make it fatty, since the fat turned to butter, at least I think so). Not it's just milk with bacteria added. It doesn't taste like butter. According to Wikipedia, it's sour and tart because of the acid.

Go get some!

I will! Thanks for the link. It sounds good for you. Seems like it might be helpful in keeping up the good bacteria in our digestive system?

Okay, time to interject. What we call buttermilk today is not the buttermilk of my parent's youth. What we have these days is a cultured product made with a bacteria culture which actually provides a certain fermentation. What my parents drank was true "butter" milk. It was the "leavings" as they liked to call it from after the churning of butter. It was not typically fermented at all and drank straight away before it clabbered. If you had a new block of ice in the box it may have gotten put there till evening for a special treat. I dare say I don't like it much better than the fermented stuff we buy from the store but it is not nearly as tart. I use the newer stuff for pancakes, scones, and other baking needs but I cannot bring myself to drink it.

Good stuff that bad old cow's milk. You can skim the cream and make butter, thereby gaining the buttermilk as a free by product. You can and really should let the raw cream (okay, pasteurise it first if you are really that scared) sit in an earthenware crock for a day or so to go through a lactic fermentation before you churn. The butter this produces has much more robust flavour. You can let the cream actually sour for a day or two and have great creme fraise. You can heat the milk carefully and make yoghurt, or you can get the proper enzymes and make cheese. All sorts of delicious cheese. Which is why my mother, my sister, and me are thinking of buying a Jersey cow. Tons of work but oh that Jersey cream. BTW, if you want to make your own buttermilk, go to the grocer and look around till you find a half pint carton of buttermilk. At the same outing, buy one of those overpriced, one quart glass bottles of "organic" milk. Drink the milk and thoroughly rinse/wash the container. Put the half pint of buttermilk in the bottle, fill the rest of the way with whatever milk you normally drink.(edited to add; make sure to recap the bottle. it makes the fermentation work) Let this sit on the counter for about 24 hours. You will have nicely cultured buttermilk for much less than you can purchase it for in the store. This will work by adding more fresh milk to the bottle when it gets to about 1/3 full and repeating. Don't do this more than about 2-3 times. Then go fresh with new buttermilk. Don't shake or otherwise fiddle with the bottle while it is fermenting. It does just fine, sitting there doing its own thing. Enjoy.

Regards, Todd

Whoops. Must have been typing when Timb was posting. Indeed, follow the link.

Top Bottom