What's new

Advice on how to avoid razor burn when wearing a tie

P

pki

My new job requires wearing a suit and tie. When wearing a tie, I seem to get razor burn everyday, by Friday evening my neck is really irritated. One of my friends suggested switching to a straight razor, and switching to Truefitt & Hill shaving cream w/ a badger hair brush.

After explaining to my friend, that I don’t want to use anything called a cut-throat razor, he convinced me to change from my five bladed Gillette Fusion razor and Edge shaving gel. I am considering a safety razor, but for now I am back to my old two blade Gillette Sensor Excel. Which has helped some.

I would make the switch to safety razor right away, but I have dropped a decent amount on new suits, ties, cufflinks, etc. For right now I am interested in getting a high quality shaving brush and high quality shaving creams/soaps.

My friend suggested the following items:

Truefitt & Hill – Large Silvertip Classic Shave Brush
http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00292__rooneybrush.html

Truefitt & Hill – Pre-Shave Lotion
http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_10002__pre-shave-oil.html

Truefitt & Hill - Trafalgar Shaving Cream
http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00001__shaving-cream__shave_cream_trafalgar_razor_brush.html

Truefitt & Hill - Trafalgar Aftershave Balm
http://www.truefittandhill.com/detail_00020__aftershave-balm.html

Any thoughts on whether this will help with my razor burn? Or do I need to go all out and get a safety razor

Of the four things recommended, about the only thing I could see being worth your while is the Trafalgar Shaving Cream, and even then it's expensive.

Brush: Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush - $35

Pre-Shave Oil: You don't need it, especially just starting out - $0

Shaving Cream: Tom's Of Maine or Kiss My Face, available at most Whole Foods stores - $3-$5

After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue, 7 ounce bottle at Wal-Mart for around $5

Safety Razor: Inquire about some Gillette Super Speed razors in the Badger & Blade Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I can't ballpark you a price but they won't rip you off here.

Razor Blades: West Coast Shaving, which is run by a member of the forum, offers Double Edge blade sampler packs. Depending on the size of the pack, it's $5.50-$23.25.

So if you take the most expensive route from the options given, you're probably still spending under $100 dollars and getting a world-class shave from your first rig. Good luck and ask questions.

Of the four things recommended, about the only thing I could see being worth your while is the Trafalgar Shaving Cream, and even then it's expensive.

Brush: Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush - $35

Pre-Shave Oil: You don't need it, especially just starting out - $0

Shaving Cream: Tom's Of Maine or Kiss My Face, available at most Whole Foods stores - $3-$5

After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue, 7 ounce bottle at Wal-Mart for around $5

Safety Razor: Inquire about some Gillette Super Speed razors in the Badger & Blade Buy/Sell/Trade forum. I can't ballpark you a price but they won't rip you off here.

Razor Blades: West Coast Shaving, which is run by a member of the forum, offers Double Edge blade sampler packs. Depending on the size of the pack, it's $5.50-$23.25.

So if you take the most expensive route from the options given, you're probably still spending under $100 dollars and getting a world-class shave from your first rig. Good luck and ask questions.

Great advice here. T&H makes high quality products, but they are very expensive, and will not provide you with a better quality shave than you can get from cheaper products.

My advice: First, loosen your collar/tie a bit and lower the starch on your shirts. A stiff, tight collar will provide a lot more irritation to your skin. If you're having your shirts laundered ask for light starch, if you're doing it yourself just starch the folded out part of the collar very lightly, if at all. If you just bought new shirts then they should have enough neck room, if not look into collar expanding tabs to give yourself a bit of room (they usually add 1/4 to 1/2"). Maintain that room by not over-tightening your tie.

As for shaving changes, you can simulate somewhat the experience of shaving with a single blade by using the little single blade fusion cartridges have on the back for shaving the upper lip. Only do one pass and don't use any pressure. Try using that a few days on your neck and see if things improve. If they do, then look into a safety razor. Vintage gillettes can be had for as little as $10, and brand new merkurs are $30-$35. If it doesn't help, then wait a bit on switching to DEs while you try other things. Ultimately you should probably still switch, but you can make a bigger difference with other aspects of your shave.

Try shaving with a brush and a good quality soap or cream. There are far too many good products to list here, but getting away from the caned goo will make a big difference. Also, use a good quality aftershave balm. Splashes are great, but it sounds like you need a balm as well to calm razor burn. My personal favorite is the Brut after shave lotion with Aloe and Shea Butter, but the Nivea extra sensitive is also well recommended. If all else fails pick up a bottle of Corn Huskers Lotion in the hand lotion section of your local drugstore. The scent isn't very good, but it'll soothe the worst razor burn you can throw at it. Plus, it's only a couple of bucks for a bottle that will last several lifetimes.

Good luck and welcome to the board! Stick around and we'll help you not only tame the razor burn beast, but get you to truly enjoy your shave every morning!

Great advice here. T&H makes high quality products, but they are very expensive, and will not provide you with a better quality shave than you can get from cheaper products.

My advice: First, loosen your collar/tie a bit and lower the starch on your shirts. A stiff, tight collar will provide a lot more irritation to your skin. If you're having your shirts laundered ask for light starch, if you're doing it yourself just starch the folded out part of the collar very lightly, if at all. If you just bought new shirts then they should have enough neck room, if not look into collar expanding tabs to give yourself a bit of room (they usually add 1/4 to 1/2"). Maintain that room by not over-tightening your tie.

As for shaving changes, you can simulate somewhat the experience of shaving with a single blade by using the little single blade fusion cartridges have on the back for shaving the upper lip. Only do one pass and don't use any pressure. Try using that a few days on your neck and see if things improve. If they do, then look into a safety razor. Vintage gillettes can be had for as little as $10, and brand new merkurs are $30-$35. If it doesn't help, then wait a bit on switching to DEs while you try other things. Ultimately you should probably still switch, but you can make a bigger difference with other aspects of your shave.

Try shaving with a brush and a good quality soap or cream. There are far too many good products to list here, but getting away from the caned goo will make a big difference. Also, use a good quality aftershave balm. Splashes are great, but it sounds like you need a balm as well to calm razor burn. My personal favorite is the Brut after shave lotion with Aloe and Shea Butter, but the Nivea extra sensitive is also well recommended. If all else fails pick up a bottle of Corn Huskers Lotion in the hand lotion section of your local drugstore. The scent isn't very good, but it'll soothe the worst razor burn you can throw at it. Plus, it's only a couple of bucks for a bottle that will last several lifetimes.

Good luck and welcome to the board! Stick around and we'll help you not only tame the razor burn beast, but get you to truly enjoy your shave every morning!

Great advice on going light on the starch and keeping the tie loose :001_smile

It may also be the material of the shirt. Mine shirts have to be 100% cotton

Do what Shane said, above.

As well as KMF cream, an option would be the C.O. Bigelow/Proraso green box/tube shave cream available at Bath & Body Works, and the shave creams available at Crabtree & Evelyn.

Read through the Shaving Soaps forum here at B&B. We are fortunate to have several 'crafter' type soap makers that serve B&B and the wet shaving community. They are a 'cottage industry' and their shave soaps are the best available --and they make aftershave milks/balms, bath soaps, shave creams, colognes/EdT's, and other products as well.

Welcome to B&B!

-- John Gehman

A great deal of sage advice already given. Allow me to add this one thing, you may find relief through the use of a talcum dust off after you have used your toner or aftershave splash or aftershave balm.
Years ago when I was required to wear a tie with stiff collared shirt, I found that the slightest hint of stubble would seemingly catch in the fiber and irritate the daylights out of my neck. This was during a period if when I shaved too closely I got ingrown whiskers.. It was a nightmare for a while, but the talcum and sharper blades seemed to end all of that..:yesnod:

Concur with above. If I use any starch at all in shirt collar, I get neck irritation. Try no starch and loose collar. Second, switch to DE razor like a barberpole slant, believe it or not. It's very safe, gets trouble areas on sensitive neck in one pass and BBS shave; no pressure needed. It's supplied by heavy barberpole handle. Try hypo-allergenic glycerine soap like VDH. It worked for me, anyway. Good luck and keep us posted.

All the good advice is posted. I just wanted to add one more item. I always thought that my grain on my neck are from north to south and I used to get a lot of irritation. I changed the direction and it solved most of the problem. Hope that helps.
Welcome aboard and happy shaving.

I might be attacking this from the wrong end - but would a looser collar not be the most obvious answer - so if you're wearing a 15½" now, try a 16" ?

To SepticTank,
Noticed you're from Scotland. Married my beautiful Scottish wife in Falkirk, Stirlingshire in 1968 while in the navy..still woman of my dreams. She backs my DE shaving addiction and I've got her using a Lady Gillette. Anyway, I digress. Are you a native of Scotland?. Wife was wondering.

Part of me is native... the rest is a Heinz-57 of English, Irish, Canadian and Belgian
To Septictank,
Thanks for reply. I'm Heinz 57 also, but wife is pure Scottish with lineage through Buchanan clan. Was wondering what part of Scotland you reside? Am from California but lot of Scottish people live here. Hope my digressing for a moment isn't detracting from posted question at hand.

If I walk the wrong/right way (depending on your point of view) I'm out of Scotland and into England...

Was in Falkirk not so long ago - I suspect it hasn't changed for the better since 1968 (or indeed 968)

View attachment 27097View attachment 27098

First, welcome to the B&B. Second, congrats on your new job. Third, everything already stated seems like good advice to me. I will add to the mix that Aveo makes some very good non-scented, non-greasy lotions that really soothe and hydrate the skin. You could try rubbing some in around your neck/collar area after the shower each day. Good luck.

While you can start off by spending quite a bit, there are also a bunch of great starter kits that can be found here in the B/S/T section, I'd have a look around and just see what options you have available to you - and welcome to B&B!

When i have to wear a tie and my neck is irritated i put some hydrocortizone cream around the inside of my coller. Yes it does sometimes stain but its in the inside of your coller so better comfy for me. you could also try a talc powder

Top Bottom