What's new

It pays to tell people about your hobbies, sometimes they bring you gifts!

So I work at Home Depot, and I was talking with one of the girls in the paint department about sandpaper. She asked what I needed it for, and I told her that I was using it to restore some old straight razors I bought. She kinda looked at me sideways, and I told her that I shave my face with a straight razor, and my head with a DE safety razor.

Apparently, she is renovating her great-uncles house (he passed away), and she had found a bunch of old shaving stuff that she was just going to throw in the trash. I about had a heart attack when she told me this. I asked her, if she wasn't going to keep it, if she wouldn't mind bringing it all to me, anything she could find: razors (both DE's and straights), strops, hones, brushes, etc.

So this week, I got some presents:

All my swag, laid out all pretty:
proxy.php

Some old schick blades, unopened:
proxy.php

A pack of Gilette Blue Blades, still some left, and some empty razor packs:

proxy.php

Now, for the good stuff. 4, count 'em, 4 Gilette Adjustables (I think the one on the far right is a fat boy, but I'm not for certain). They are all in great shape, the action on them is all very smooth and tight:
proxy.php

2 more Gilette TTO's, and an injector blade pack:
proxy.php

2 Razors I have yet to identify, and a Gem Micromatic:
proxy.php

A Schick Injector Adjustable, a razor I haven't identified, and a crappy brush that has already gone in the trash:
proxy.php

They are all going to take a bath overnight in some Simple Green, and I'll start cleaning them shortly. She also said she found something else, that I identified by her description as a dual-hanging strop, which she is going to bring me. She said there might be another box of razors as well, but she wasn't able to find it. She thinks she might have already thrown them out, but she is going to keep looking.

Congratulations! That's a great haul and I'm glad it was saved from the trash!!

Just curious but what are the copyright dates on the Krona-Chrome blade packs? I got a 2pk last week that says "new" in the upper left corner as well and it dates to 1968.

Congratulations! That's a great haul and I'm glad it was saved from the trash!!

Just curious but what are the copyright dates on the Krona-Chrome blade packs? I got a 2pk last week that says "new" in the upper left corner as well and it dates to 1968.

mine also say 1968 on the back

They are really great blades and don't hesitate to give them a go.

I'm hooked on feathers, but I might give them to my dad to try. I actually only shave my head with a DE, but I've converted my sister, brother-in-law, and father over to DE's, so maybe one of them will want the blades.

I tell people about my shaving hobby and I just get the strange looks, they don't bring me anything... Lucky dogg. :mad3:

SWEET! I think a nice lunch is in order for that girl! :em2300:

I told her that once I cleaned them up and sold them, I would bring her a cut, and she declined because she was going to throw them away anyway. I offered to take her to dinner instead, and she accepted :wink:

Now why in the world would someone need three Slims? You should have a talk with that girl and explain to her that her uncle had the beginnings of an AD.

Oh, I guess it could be considered an AD to have all the razors anyway, regardless of different models. But I don't see a razor as just a razor anymore, so I didn't think of that at first.... Anyway, you're lucky, I hate you, etc. :wink:

Now why in the world would someone need three Slims? You should have a talk with that girl and explain to her that her uncle had the beginnings of an AD.

Oh, I guess it could be considered an AD to have all the razors anyway, regardless of different models. But I don't see a razor as just a razor anymore, so I didn't think of that at first.... Anyway, you're lucky, I hate you, etc. :wink:

Apparently, there was an entire other box that she ran across as well that was full of shaving gear, although she thinks she might have already thrown it away :redface:

She's gonna keep looking though :biggrin: And yes, apparently, even way back when, the AD existed :lol:

I tell people about wetshaving and they just walk away confused and do not come back...you get a fine score out of it. Crazy huh?

I told her that once I cleaned them up and sold them, I would bring her a cut, and she declined because she was going to throw them away anyway. I offered to take her to dinner instead, and she accepted :wink:

if i were you , i would take one of the razors , the brush ( retrieve from trash ) and make a little shadow box ( micheals or craft store ) , with a spot for a picture of her great uncle.

she could give it to her great uncles brother or sister or their son. They may not appreciate it now , but when they get older with their own kids they may.

I've had good luck in sharing my enthusiasm for a hobby with others as well. I think people generally like to be part of fun things, even if it's just a one time encounter. Here's a story I posted on a different forum on a different hobby I've have, collecting bourbon, that worked out really well.

Roger

Top Bottom