What's new

What's the best mid-range men's shampoo and conditioner?

I have had trouble for the longest time finding a good men's shampoo and conditioner. The only stuff I have found is either really cheap quality (Men's Suave) or way too expensive (American Crew, etc.). I have been using Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine, which I feel is good as it's a simple, cool (refreshing) smelling shampoo and conditioner that leaves my hair soft and smooth. However, I would prefer something specifically formulated for men. Any good ones out there? A friend let me use his American Crew shampoo one time, and I felt like I was on Cloud Nine. I think he had the one with the Tea Tree scent. It is by far the best-smelling, most masculine shampoo I have ever tried. I imagine the conditioner is just as good. Anyone know any good men's shampoos and conditioners that don't cost $20 a bottle?

I'm not sure exactly how much it costs, but Redken shampoo/cond. is excellent. Just looked it up, it's under 20. You'll love it. My wife's hairdresser recommended it to me.

I rotate it with pantene two in one classic. For the money, pantene is great.

I like the Sunsilk range, especially their 'Total Care' version; the one in the gray bottle. Shampoos, conditions and has B5 in it which does....something good. Anyway I think its pretty good and its also pretty cheap, give it a try sometime.

Cheers - boingk

It seems that in the world of hair care american crew is considered somewhat mid-ranged.

I've never tried them, but I hear the "american classic" stuff available at sally's is almost as good as american crew, but about half the price.

Also, I've seen the crew products on sale at drugstore.com for several dollars cheaper than in stores. it might be worth a look.

A bit harder to find retail, but you can order online. The sport hair/body wash is great as is the conditioner. Styling products are only so so.

Try Pert. Years ago I read it was highly rated in Consumer Reports. It's economical and feels, smells and works well.
I like Paul Mitchille's Tea Tree but it's more expensive.
I have psoriasis so I use it, T-SAL and T-Gel a lot.

drop the drugstore approach and get as serious about what you use on your head as you do your beard. to that end, check out pureology. marketed as a product for "treated" hair, but performs as well as any shampoo and conditioner at any cost.

I've never tried them, but I hear the "american classic" stuff available at sally's is almost as good as american crew, but about half the price.

I discovered the American Classic Tea Tree shampoo & conditioner at Sally's this summer and it's pretty good stuff at 6.99 each for the 11 oz. bottle. It compares favorably with the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree stuff they use at my barber shop at about half the price.

Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo...love it :biggrin:

next time around I'm going to try The Body Shop Olive Glossing Shampoo and Conditioner

Mama bear. Rosemary and Peppermint. Around $8 for 8 ounces. Great wake-tou-up scent and pleasant tingle. (Cleans the hair well, too, as near as I can tell!)

it doesn't get much love around here, but nancy boy shampoo and conditioner is my all-time favorite. i used to use t-gel for itchy scalp but don't have to anymore....which is great because t-gel smells like a tar pit.

the nancy boy is mild and cleans simply and wonderfully. my wife likes it too...so we both use it now. the scent is signature NB which smells wonderful.

you can try the travel size of both the shampoo and conditioner. totally worth it.

Mane & Tail.

No, really. Great stuff. There's a shampoo, and a conditioner, which can be rinsed out or left in.

I used to use Paul Mitchell. Mane & Tail's about a fourth the cost, and available at the grocery store.

NANP™

I keep three shampoos in the shower to use depending on my mood and what my hair needs.

Sharpe's - incredible lather, great wake-you-up peppermint smell and inexpensive.

Nancy Boy Signature - very good lather, incredible scent that I particularly like before bed, reasonably priced

Kiehl's Amino Acid - very good lather, great everyday scent, a bit pricey, but I buy the huge, 1-liter pump jug whenever it's available which saves a few bucks. Makes my hair feel and style great!

Remember that as with most things in life you get what you pay for. High quality shampoos require very little quantity per use and therefore even the smaller bottle last a pretty long time.

I have had trouble for the longest time finding a good men's shampoo and conditioner. The only stuff I have found is either really cheap quality (Men's Suave) or way too expensive (American Crew, etc.). I have been using Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine, which I feel is good as it's a simple, cool (refreshing) smelling shampoo and conditioner that leaves my hair soft and smooth. However, I would prefer something specifically formulated for men. Any good ones out there? A friend let me use his American Crew shampoo one time, and I felt like I was on Cloud Nine. I think he had the one with the Tea Tree scent. It is by far the best-smelling, most masculine shampoo I have ever tried. I imagine the conditioner is just as good. Anyone know any good men's shampoos and conditioners that don't cost $20 a bottle?

its around 16 for american crew shampoo i sell it. Its more concentrated so you dont have to use as much. Use about a quarters size in the palm of you hand and emulsify it between hands after wetting your hair(make sure hairs wet first. It should last up to 6 months. Wash your hair evry other day with shampoo unless you have a very dirty job as its better for your hair. in between use conditioner if you want or just wash it with plain water.

Te tree is great but try the peppermint cleanse shampoo by american crew its awsome.

There is a company called GRUND Hair Care that has wonderful smelling stuff check them out as well.

I grew up in my moms salon and have been the guinee pig for almost every mens product line out there and from personal experiance the way it makes your hair look, scalp and hair feel, the smell, and the quality of the ingrediants its hard to beat American Crew for Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling aids
Its actually what is called mid range. Stuff such as aveda men and others are more expensive. Do not buy it from kroger get it from a salon its usually cheaper. Kroger and others buy it at full price then try and resale it at a higher price for convenience.

+1 on Nancy Boy. I find it mild and sometimes I have to use two applications to get hair product out. Great smell. I love the conditioner.

Woody's.

http://www.woodysgrooming.com/hair_shampoo.html

I like the products of this company even if it means buying at a premium here in Europe.

The 32oz bottle (now that looks manly in the shower doesn't it? :001_smile) costs about $30 I believe but can be found even cheaper.
I also have the Meat and Potatoes bar soap which is the most moisterizing soap I ever used and blows even the Porto Claus soaps away at half the price.
And the best part is that you can use it as shaving soap as well (it is my rotation) and it is very good as a shaving soap. (review here)
I also have the ASB (review here) which is also top notch and in the price range of Nivea ASB.
Overall, even this products are scarse in Europe and sold at a premium, I couldn't be happier with them.

Top Bottom