What's new

Shaving and the environment

Just for fun, I made a very tongue-in-cheek take on the environmental impact of different shaving methods. I am guessing that most in this community would score well (high) – 60-75 points (I sometimes drop down into the 40 point range myself but mostly stay in the 60+ area). I’d be surprised if there are any 100 pointers reading this, but who knows – vicarious shavers anon.

This is intended to be lighthearted, even though the topic has some serious implications if you imagine about 2 billion shavers doing whatever they do every day or so. Serious or lighthearted comments welcome but please don’t turn this thread into a platform for extreme views either way!

1. Grow a full beard. Trim it once a month using scissors preferably made from recycled Humvees. Compost clippings along with kitchen and yard waste. 100 points.

2. Buy a cheap electric razor that uses about 5 watt minutes of renewable electricity per shave. Use it once a day for 5 years and then recycle the parts and buy a new one. 85 points.

3. Dry shave with a DE or SE razor. 75 points.

4. Shave with an SE razor, use plenty of hot water and cream. Use natural brushes and razors with wood or metal handles. Dump any waste in the trash. 70 points.

5. Shave with a DE razor, use plenty of hot water and cream. Use natural brushes and razors with wood or metal handles. Dump any waste in the trash. 65 points.

6. Shave with a twin blade use plenty of hot water and cream. Use natural brushes and razors with wood or metal handles. Dump the waste in the trash. 45 points.

7. Shave with an imported plastic handled one-use multiblade razor, aerosol foam and use paper towels. Double-bag all waste in plastic trash bags. 15 points.

8. Same as 7 but buy supplies at least once a week only in solitary, single purpose trips that involve driving more than 50 miles each way in a very large SUV. Make sure that the SUV is left running while in the shop to maintain full operation of the climate control. 1 point.

If you buy at a Walmart or similar vendor that was built in a specially clearcut redwood forest area, you get ZERO POINTS!

Huh, why more points for a SE razor than a DE? I think it should be the other way around. A DE has 2 edges, meaning it lasts twice as long as a SE razor.

And where are straight razor shavers?:w00t:

Huh, why more points for a SE razor than a DE? I think it should be the other way around. A DE has 2 edges, meaning it lasts twice as long as a SE razor.

And where are straight razor shavers?:w00t:

Your right - by SE I meant a straight razor not an SE blade - sorry for the confusion!

I suppose I get 65 points, but should I lose any for creating my lather in one of these? :confused:

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm starting to feel a tinge of guilt that I hunt for a new badger every day, as well as haul icebergs from the arctic circle via diesel engined tugs. Hey, a guy needs a cold water rinse.

What do you do that pushes your score into the negative numbers?

I'm starting to feel a tinge of guilt that I hunt for a new badger every day, as well as haul icebergs from the arctic circle via diesel engined tugs. Hey, a guy needs a cold water rinse.

What do you do that pushes your score into the negative numbers?

How many points off for preping with the blood of orphans and puppies?

<.<
>.>

..just askin.....

8. Same as 7 but buy supplies at least once a week only in solitary, single purpose trips that involve driving more than 50 miles each way in a very large SUV. Make sure that the SUV is left running while in the shop to maintain full operation of the climate control. 1 point.

If you buy at a Walmart or similar vendor that was built in a specially clearcut redwood forest area, you get ZERO POINTS!

Same as above, but:

stop at McDonald's along the way,
smoke a cigarette,
then eat a rare T-bone steak when you get home,

you are WORSE THAN HITLER! :biggrin:

I must be in the 65-75 range - since "Shave with a DE razor, use plenty of hot water and cream. Use natural brushes and razors with wood or metal handles." is me "Dump any waste in the trash." isn't though - the trash can only needs to go out maybe once per month, the recycling twice a month tops.... compost bin is filling nicely...

Anyway - if I didn't do my bit to recycle these dead badgers into shaving brushes there'd be a dead badger mountain :biggrin:

Top Bottom