What's new

Do circular motions destroy a badger brush?

I was at a parfumer yesterday who sells brushes and he showed another customer and to me another time how to make lather in/on his hand using only back and forth motions. Also on your face, he said, use no circular motions because they will destroy your brush.
I remember my first brush from 20 years ago, wich is still there, where all the hairs in the center are broken away, leaving a hole. Is this due to the poor quality (cheap) brush or the effect of swirling on my face?
What are your experiences with this matter?

I was at a parfumer yesterday who sells brushes and he showed another customer and to me another time how to make lather in/on his hand using only back and forth motions. Also on your face, he said, use no circular motions because they will destroy your brush.
I remember my first brush from 20 years ago, wich is still there, where all the hairs in the center are broken away, leaving a hole. Is this due to the poor quality (cheap) brush or the effect of swirling on my face?

Probably a bit of both. But I swirl, and have had no problems for over 2 years... and if my brush only lasted me 2 years, I would probably be fine with that. But at this rate, it will last much longer than that. I think you're fine.

Regards.

J

I have also seen some older brushes which looked exactly as described; a hole in the center of the brush. I haven't seen any newer brushes with that problem, so I don't know if the problem is the swirling of the brush or the difference in glue used in older knots. I can see where the twisting of the bristles could either break them off or pull them out of the knot over time. I have a couple of brushes that I have used for about 6+ years and I am pretty hard on them with swirling them on my face and n the mug. I haven't seen any significant loss of bristles either in the center or anywhere else. It may also depend on how hard one presses down on the brush, using just the tips may not be as damaging to the bristles. I guess if I am using a $500 Plisson I might be more concerned than a less expensive brush, although I work over my T3 and Polo 8 pretty good.

In my experience, losing bristles in the middle of a brush doesn't come from scribbing motions, but too much pressure used while performing the scrubbing motion. I would also add that if your brush does not fully dry between each use, this will make the bristles more prone to wear or breakage.

I swirl my brush around vigorously and after nearly daily use for 6, 7 years it looks the same as it did when it was new.

Is it possible that the 'hole' in the middle isn't caused by all the bristles falling out, maybe if a brush isn't so tightly packed could they just be pushed out from the center? I dunno.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

FWIW, the general rule of thumb I see around here is you can expect 10 years' life from a brush ...

Simpson's sends instructions with their brushes (and presumably still do under new management) to use the brush lightly in a painting motion. Now, it this good advice for all brushes, or are they just trying to over-protect their brushes given the known QC problems ... ?? :001_huh:

FWIW, the general rule of thumb I see around here is you can expect 10 years' life from a brush ...

Simpson's sends instructions with their brushes (and presumably still do under new management) to use the brush lightly in a painting motion. Now, it this good advice for all brushes, or are they just trying to over-protect their brushes given the known QC problems ... ?? :001_huh:

Those instructions predate the QC problems in the later years of the previous owners..

Top Bottom