What's new

John Wayne would have approved...

Good afternoon chaps. I have to report that one of the nicest things in the sporting world happened recently. I received my copy of a firearms periodical this month and found a nice, colour advertisement for a new Mossberg LEVER action rifle. I just kind of sat there and stared at the ad. Now for those who are wondering just exactly what in tarnation I am palavering about, don't fret. I am getting around to it. You see, last year a true American legend passed from our midst. The late, great Winchester Model of 1894 lever action rifle. Chambered in the "good ole thutty-thutty" , .30-30, or as it was originally known in 1895 when it was introduced, the .30 W.C.F.(Winchester Center Fire). It was made continuously for 112 years. Winchester Co.(U.S. Repeating Arms)closed the Connecticut plant last year bringing an end to the 1894, the Model 70 bolt rifle, and the model 1300 shotguns. A sad gasp passed through the hunting and shooting sports community. I tell you men, this was a BAD day in American history. For you chaps in the British Empire, think of your grandfather's stories about the heyday of Rigby, Holland & Holland, Snyder, Kynoch and others. You get the point. A piece of your history died when those companies folded up ownership by the families that started them. The same goes with Winchester. It was bad enough when the family sold to Olin in the early 60's. There were a lot of held breaths when they offered it up for sale in 81. We all sighed relief when it became clear that U.S. Repeating Arms was serious about restoring Winchester's reputation and they did a good job of it. However, when the news came in 2006 that U.S.R.A. was going to close the plant and there was no serious shot of it reviving anytime soon, all us fans got a little misty eyed. What in hell was this world coming too?

Now comes a ray of hope. If you follow the link I posted above you will arrive at the website of O.F. Mossberg and Son's. A venerated old American firearms company who has been "doing it right" for well over 100 years. They have introduced the Model 464 traditional lever action rifle chambered in .30-30! They even have a poll up to see what calibre of cartridge fans want chambered next. I believe this model will sell well. Typical of Mossberg, it is priced competitively, looks very traditional, AND has a lot of engineering updates that makes it stronger than any Winchester '94 ever made with the possible exception of the short lived Big Bore model from the early 80's. It even has an unobtrusive tang safety which is so much more elegant than the godawful cross bolt saftey/eyesore that USRAC and Marin cobbled into their rifles to keep the liability lawyers happy. This one just disappears into the tang if you look at it from the side. I personally hope that Mossberg collaborates with Hornady or Federal to come up with a proper, .33 calibre rimmed cartridge for this rifle. The wonderful .338 Federal introduced a couple of years ago begs to be chambered in a rifle like this. Albeit in a rimmed version at the proper pressure levels for a traditional lever action. However, if you look at the photos and read Jon Sundra's article at the Mossber site, this thing has a receiver that is so much more STOUT than a Marlin or Winchester lever action. Do check it out. If nothing else you will get to see a rifle that screams cowboys and indians.

Regards, Todd

I should add that Winchester has not completely disappeared. FN Herstal owns the brand now. I suspect that most of any manufacturing that reoccurs will happen in Japan or the East. Nothing against them but I want Winchesters made in America.

Winchester lever actions were never the same after the early '60s. They came back a bit but after '64 the craftsmanship suffered in the lever actions. Marlin picked up most of their market with a better product and remains a superior firearm in both quality and accuracy (although the side ejection port for scope mounts spoils the classic lines of the reciever and I abhor the button safety). There will however always be a special place in the American gunowners' hearts for the pre '64 winchesters.

Agreed Bow. The Marlin's are hell for stout. My dad had one of the first reissued m1895 .45-70 models they made in the early 70's. Unfortunately we lost it in a house fire. One of my all time favourite weapons. I hunted with it regularly.

Regards, Todd

There is something very American about lever-action rifles. I'm glad to see Mossy is making them here in the States rather than branding Turkish made guns of questionable quality.

There will however always be a special place in the American gunowners' hearts for the pre '64 winchesters.

Since we're talking about pre-'64, make mine an 1873 model. :biggrin: I have a rifle in .32-20, made in 1889. I traded my Colt 1849 Pocket Model revolver for it when I was 12 or 13 years old back in the late-70's. I bought it from Turner Kirkland at Dixie Gun Works in Union City, TN. A fantastic place, at least back then.

I still lust for a Henry rifle. Prices have skyrocketed in the 15 or 20 years since I could come close to affording one. One of these days, perhaps. While I'm at it I'll pick up a Volcanic Arms pistol too.

Hey Mike. Don't feel bad. In the late 70's I was determined that before I reached 30 I would go on safari in Africa. It was still legal to hunt elephant then and you could bring your lion hide home as well. This was the heyday of Peter Hathaway Capstick and his great stories in G&A. I would have traveled there in the belly of a cargo ship if needs be. When I found out that an elephant tag was about $20,000 dollars even back in the 70's my determination was shall we say, curbed a bit. Between the expense of air flight, tags, professional hunter fees, etc. I realised it added up to more than this blue collar cowboy would come up with in five years even if I didn't pay my taxes! It is just a dream that I think about every now and then. Even if you limited it to plains game the costs are still staggering. So cheer up. That Henry may only set you back $3000-4000. Isn't that a much better deal than my safari? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards, Todd

That Henry may only set you back $3000-4000.

The Henry's I have seen in the last couple of years have started around $15,000 for a beater. Many are in the $30-50K range and can easily get into six figures if it's a rare model or one with a specific history. Back when I was first out of school and working in the early 90's, I think I could have gotten a decent one in the $3-6K range. I bought a new 300ZX instead (and just sold it this last year.) :biggrin: Don't get me started on what I could have bought machine guns (as in legal, full-auto) for back then. I should have kept the Camry. :rolleyes:

You are right about the Marlins being stout.I load my 45-70 with 500 grain FN at 1850FPS,we shoot a lot of hogs down here where I live,I dont usually shoot it more than 2/3 times a day(thats enough)but it knocks the s*** out of a hog,a very handy lever gun,real good out to 100 yds.Best Regards gary

The first Winchester Model of 1894 that I fired was when I was involved in an outdoor theater production. The rifles that we had came straight off of a Hollywood production studio (don't remember which one). For all we knew, we were handling the very same rifles that John Wayne and all of the other stars of westerns had fired. I have loved those guns from the very first time I got my hands on one. Even though we were firing blanks they were reliable as can be.

S

sullivanpm

Any true Irishman appreciates a good gun and a good horse...;)
Truer words were never spoken.
One of the first purchases my Great grand father made when he arrived in America was a Winchester Rifle and a Colt SAA.
We still have that Colt but the winchester was either lost or stolen.

Top Bottom