What's new

Pop vs. Soda

What is this stuff?

• Pop!

• Soda

• Coke

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's because they're a bunch of stupid, hair-obsessed yuppie scum who have no grasp of American English and its desperate need for a second person plural pronoun.

The same is true for English English needing a second person pronoun. I think I have a solution.

Bring back 'Thou'. That would be an interesting campaign to start.

What do we want
A second person plural pronoun
When do we want it?
Thou!

English does tend to lose these sorts of words, the same thing is happening to whom. I never used to know exactly when to use 'whom' as I am not so great at languages, but apparently it is used when you could use him, her or them instead of he, she or they (this is when to use who).

I still don't always use whom, but I am getting better. Just remember not to correct other people's grammar. I found out the hard way.

Back on subject.

Someone argued that coke is like hoover, ie. it is a brand name used to describe any brand of a certain product. This doesn't make it right though...

The most important thing is to be understood, but I still think the correct term is carbonated drinks. I would call them soft drinks in everyday conversation though.

PS. I will do anything to stop people from saying "y'all". The british have to listen to it being said a lot on american tv shows, and I think this may be why we aren't allowed guns.

Having lived internationally while growing up, I've used all of the terms listed and more.

I like the one used in the military for any cold drink that isn't fizzy - Bug Juice

Most people call a Personal Water Craft a "Jet Ski" or a "Wave Runner" regardless of the manufacture.

This is from Webster's 12th Collegiate Edition Dictionary:

Main Entry: coke
Pronunciation: \ˈkōk\
Function: noun

1. any beverage consisting of soda water, flavoring, and a sweet syrup; 2. generic term for a flavored, carbonated soft drink by various companies, esp. as sold in tightly capped bottles or in cans; 3. formerly, "soda pop" [usage late 1,800s] which is an effervescent solution of water, acid, and sodium bicarbonate enjoyed by little girls in ice cream sodas; 4. certain beverages produced by Coca-Cola Bottling Company; 5. syn. The Real Thing

Born in Ohio so it will always be "Pop" for me. In the numerous places that we've lived it has had several names, but "pop" and "soda" seem the commoner names.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Growing up in and near Montreal Canada we always called it soft drink. I now live near Toronto and most of the time I hear it called pop. But then again there is the Kim Mitchell famous Ontario rock dude song "Might as well go for a soda".

This one may be the result of being born in the PNW, spending my early childhood there and in the Midwest, but my formative years in the Deep South . . .

It's breakfast, lunch, and supper. Dinner is what you have after church on Sunday. Roast is involved. :001_rolle

NANP™

Well NANP, you did get the coke part right, but you have surely retained the early imprint of your years...The evening meal has always been dinner. A supper is something of a gathering ie. a "fellowship supper", which doesn't necessarily denote an evening meal. And even on Sundays the noon meal is lunch no matter the meat served. :biggrin:

Edit to add: I had one HS football coach who referred to soft drinks (another term) as soda water.

This is from Webster's 12th Collegiate Edition Dictionary:

Main Entry: coke
Pronunciation: \ˈkōk\
Function: noun

1. any beverage consisting of soda water, flavoring, and a sweet syrup; 2. generic term for a flavored, carbonated soft drink by various companies, esp. as sold in tightly capped bottles or in cans; 3. formerly, "soda pop" [usage late 1,800s] which is an effervescent solution of water, acid, and sodium bicarbonate enjoyed by little girls in ice cream sodas; 4. certain beverages produced by Coca-Cola Bottling Company; 5. syn. The Real Thing

Hmmm that part is odd.

Top Bottom