Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the wetshave underground

1. Default the wetshave underground

This site cracks me up. Last month, when I got completely fed up with my Mach III shaves/price, I had no idea there was this whole community devoted to "wet shaving", which I'd never heard of. I knew of course that DE razors existed somewhere but I'd never tried one. I'd experimented briefly with brush/soap, but they were always gift items so I'd end up with disgusting boar hair lying around all over my face. I also had no idea how to properly work up a lather, so I gave up and retreated back to the crappy cartridges. 2 blade, 3 blade....I even tried the dumb 5 blade that The Onion joked about years ago.

(for those who don't know it http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930
    squeamish take note: liberal use of the F word)

Somehow I got it in my head last month that I'd go for glory and get a DE razor. I stumbled around the net for a bit and then came across this site. Who knew there was so much stuff out there? As I wrote in my newbie post I picked up the Merkur HD, Proraso cream and pre/post, Skin Bracer, a stand and soap dish (incl. Bayrum) from Col Conk, which I'll experiment with after I get the technique down. After more reading, I've ordered blade samples, Creed samples (ordering the GIT), and something else. I'm losing track. And then yesterday I opened up the whole Method Shaving thread and now I want to get some of that stuff. I'll wait though until October, as I'll be in San Antonio for a conference and will be able to drive up to Austin and check out the store. It's difficult to resist getting all these neat things and experimenting!

So far the shaves have been great. My cheeks haven't been as smooth since I was 14, and my neck is coming along. I've been a little overly aggressive there and given myself some burn, but I'm getting better at it. My wife can't leave me alone, totally loves the smooth shaves and the new scents. Wish I'd found out about wet shaving 20 years ago!

What a great site.
    Cheers
    Pete

Hey Pete, great to have you. Glad it's going so well!
    Tony :c2:

I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil.
    - Robert Kennedy

"I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."
    - Jack Kerouac

Congrats, glad to have you aboard
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO SMOKE CRAPPY CIGARS--LK[/COLOR][/B]

Welcome man! Prepare to lose your life to this site! Mwahahaha.
    "Failure is never quite so frightening as regret."

Quote Originally Posted by pete hnek View Post
    So far the shaves have been great. My cheeks haven't been as smooth since I was 14, and my neck is coming along. I've been a little overly aggressive there and given myself some burn, but I'm getting better at it. My wife can't leave me alone, totally loves the smooth shaves and the new scents. Wish I'd found out about wet shaving 20 years ago!

What a great site.
    Welcome! We are glad you're here, Pete. I, also, wished I had discovered DE shaving twenty years ago, but I'm making up for lost time. I actually look forward to shaving now--try that with your Mach III...

Keep us updated with your successes.
    Ockham's Razor: "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."

Glad you found us, Pete!
    Bob O.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Images

Pete,

What took you so long? Welcome to B&B.
    Daniel

"Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it."
    -Soren Kierkegaard

Certified B&B Old Fogie

Steward of Shaving Creams

Images

welcome aboard! Don't worry...the early acquisition phase USUALLY calms down after a while (no guarantees, though)...so with that out of the way, you'll have to try some Tabac soap and taylor's avocado cream. and speick aftershave.

...and wait until you start venturing into single malts....

Images

Nice story. Welcome to B&B!
    Cheers, Dave

welcome pete, make sure someone teaches you the secret handshake.
    --Bryan Le Grelot 6/8 3/4 hollow cocobolo scales, Dovo Prima Silver Steel Ebenholz

Welcome home, Pete.
    John

Dedicated to the pursuit of Life, Liberty, and Trout.

Images

Welcome Pete!

Welcome to B&B and thank God your wife is okay with all of this.
    Shane - Member since 6-10-06

Somewhere Between Snook and North Zulch, TX
    Images

Welcome!

--Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pete hnek View Post
    This site cracks me up. Last month, when I got completely fed up with my Mach III shaves/price, I had no idea there was this whole community devoted to "wet shaving", which I'd never heard of. I knew of course that DE razors existed somewhere but I'd never tried one. I'd experimented briefly with brush/soap, but they were always gift items so I'd end up with disgusting boar hair lying around all over my face. I also had no idea how to properly work up a lather, so I gave up and retreated back to the crappy cartridges. 2 blade, 3 blade....I even tried the dumb 5 blade that The Onion joked about years ago.

(for those who don't know it http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930
    squeamish take note: liberal use of the F word)

Somehow I got it in my head last month that I'd go for glory and get a DE razor. I stumbled around the net for a bit and then came across this site. Who knew there was so much stuff out there? As I wrote in my newbie post I picked up the Merkur HD, Proraso cream and pre/post, Skin Bracer, a stand and soap dish (incl. Bayrum) from Col Conk, which I'll experiment with after I get the technique down. After more reading, I've ordered blade samples, Creed samples (ordering the GIT), and something else. I'm losing track. And then yesterday I opened up the whole Method Shaving thread and now I want to get some of that stuff. I'll wait though until October, as I'll be in San Antonio for a conference and will be able to drive up to Austin and check out the store. It's difficult to resist getting all these neat things and experimenting!

What a great site.
    +1000

Same exact thing happened to me. Great people on here.
    [SIZE="1"]...nothin' that a Merkur HD and proraso won't cure...[/SIZE]

Barberpole.gifDudeDance.gif

Welcome aboard. Such a good story rates The Dude.
    -Shep abides :cool:

That rug really tied the room together.

[URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58275"]For the New Guys[/URL]

Welcome! Great story btw. My wife feels the same way when she runs her hand over my cheek, I like it too! Enjoy and don't let the "AD" get to you too soon
    Good shave.....only 4 stitches

18. Default

Welcome to B&B...( fellows...Pete "gets it".)
    Mike

19. Thread Starter

Thanks! I am thoroughly enjoying discovering the wetshave world. I actually start planning when to shave, as opposed to avoiding it as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovD View Post
    Pete,What took you so long?
    Indeed. Well, when I was a kid my Dad always had a full beard. Eventually he shaved it off, but his idea of shaving is using a bar of soap and a Bic disposable while showering. No. No no no no no no. Since he was no help I've been left to stumble about, and luckily I stumbled into here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Welcome to B&B and thank God your wife is okay with all of this.
    Oh she is more than ok. She is very happy about it, says it "adds class." I mean, I had to ask her how to put on cologne. I even mentioned to her that I was going to drive to Austin from San Antonio in October just to check out Enchante. At first she was dubious but when I explained the whole thing about the products and maybe getting some shaving tips vis a vis The Method, she lit up and said I needed to do it. Not only does she like the smooth skin, but she gets my cast offs, like several bottles from Thayers Witch Hazel sampler that arrived today.

It's such a funny thing, getting excited over a freakin shave, but it's been such an eye opener getting the DE. I mean, Gillette vs Guillotine, The Forms, ATG, XTG....It's nice and manly, unlike metrosexual grooming stuff, and the results are outstanding, even at this early stage. Awesome.
    Cheers
    Pete

This is a great site! Glad to have you aboard.
    --- Gabe
    ------------------------------------------------------
    You know, if we had any moral character, we wouldn't be standing here covered with mud drinkin', when we should be washing.
    ------------------------------------------------------