What's new

Holy Grail of DE razors?

For me it would be a 1903 double ring, no serial number or a 1904 patent applied for. Number two would be an old type combination set, number three is a 195 and number four a mint toggle.

I have a mint President. That would not be my choice.

But for me it would be an unused NOS, complete with instructions, blades, plastic case and original box around it.... Red Tip Super Speed.

In my opinion (YMMV) I think the Red Tip was the pinnacle of razor design!

But for me it would be an unused NOS, complete with instructions, blades, plastic case and original box around it.... Red Tip Super Speed.

Add "D3" and that would be mine, as well . . . birth year/quarter razor, and then I could line up red, white, and blue cases on my little shave den shelf . . . :lol:

Yeah, I think about stuff like that. The TV Special is my other birthyear razor, and as a "one year only" item probably more desireable, but I don't like the case nearly as well.

NANP™

I guess it depends on whether this is a philosophical question, or a historical question.

If you are talking about history, as in what is the best "collectors razor" then I would say the gillette president (as many have noted).

If you are talking about that mythical beast, the "best razor for my face" I would say (maybe) 38C, or there is no such thing, only the "better razor than the last one" exists. :biggrin:

I am surprised that so many are saying the president. It is a beautiful razor, but I see them quite often. For me it would have to be the Nickel Toggle.

Id say your father or grandfather's razor.

I agree. My Grandfather had a Red Tip and a black-handle SS. My first DE shaves were with the black-handle (the Red Tip looked a little scary, as did the ancient badger brush and Williams Mug Soap). I used that SS until I went in the Navy, but they are both long gone. I had no idea at the time that these razors would ever be of interest.

I agree with Rod.. although the President is a beautiful razor (and has eluded me thus far) I've seen quite a few of them compared to others. The Holy Grail of razors IMHO would have to be very rare.. sorta like the line of Coronation Razors, or perhaps my gold flare tip super speeds! :wink:
Guess this doesn't help my quest for a Coronation #45 does it now?

Hard to beat a red-tipped. Used one this morning with a Gillette Spoiler, and I was!

For me it would be a 1903 double ring, no serial number or a 1904 patent applied for. Number two would be an old type combination set, number three is a 195 and number four a mint toggle.

I just scored my number two in a new improved, 1921 or so. The list shrinks.:o16:

Top Bottom