What's new

trouble with shaving chin

Just wondering what the best way to get it smooth with one pass is. If I make 2 or 3 passes I'd like them to be only for getting closer, not for shaving patches I've left!

I noticed I was getting a smoother shave on my cheeks when I pulled the skin taut, but that's pretty hard to do with my chin. Tensing up the muscles in the just seems to make it easier to nick myself there.

M

modern man

Try blade buffing...

It probably wont get done in one pass. Hair is usually tougher in the spot.

V

VR6ofpain

I have found the only way to get a BBS on my chin is a good 3 passes with less blade exposure. When using my Gillette Super adjustable set to 5, doing a WTG, XTG, then ATG got me a BBS. Lately I have been using this same razor set to 8, and only doing a WTG and XTG. I get a close shave on my chin (feels decently smooth), but you can still see a little stubble just above skin level. It usually looks more than presentable for the workday...sometimes I wish I had a razor at the office to do a "follow up" pass mid-day. I'd never do this though, as my co-workers would think I was a nut (I have seen a guy who brushes his teeth in the restroom...I think he is a nut).

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The top three rules of successful chin shaving:

1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice

In addition blade buffing, as mentioned above, with the lightest touch possible. You are working with a lot of changing angles and thinner flesh, any pressure as you have already discovered can be a problem. To work with all the changing angles you should use very short, quick strokes.

Your lather should be fresh. Re-apply as needed. Many of us shave the chin last and the lather can be a little dry by then. Al least the edges where the lather has already been removed will be dry/sticky. So re-apply to cover a larger area. Blade buffing requires lots of lubrication. And remember to keep the razor in contact with the skin on the back stroke to redistribute the lather for the subsequent buffing stroke(s).

Just wondering what the best way to get it smooth with one pass is. If I make 2 or 3 passes I'd like them to be only for getting closer, not for shaving patches I've left!

I noticed I was getting a smoother shave on my cheeks when I pulled the skin taut, but that's pretty hard to do with my chin. Tensing up the muscles in the just seems to make it easier to nick myself there.

I've discovered if I shave down, then from the middle to the left, then middle to right, then right to left and then left to right, my chin turns out quite smooth. YMMV.

Top Bottom